View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 US Cellphone Roaming 
Operations Team

Post US Cellphone Roaming
http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1117 ... to-the-usa

Quote:
How to cut roaming fees when traveling to the USA
January 17, 2012
By Krystal Yee

Roaming charges can add up in a hurry.
Spencer Platt/GETTY IMAGES

If you’ve ever traveled to the United States with your cell phone, you’ve been hit with roaming or long distance charges before. However, now those costly and sometimes surprising cell phone bills can be avoided with Roam Mobility – a company that has partnered with T-Mobile to offer Canadians flexible, affordable, and commitment-free roaming options when traveling across the border.

Whether you just want the ability to use data on your phone, to unlimited talk, text, and data options – Roam Mobility offers a wide variety of plans to fit whatever you’re looking for, with plans ranging from one to 30 days.

In September, I went to a conference in Chicago. I am a Rogers Wireless customer, so I decided to pick up the $10/month U.S. data roaming option, which charged me $1 per MB, as opposed to the standard roaming rate of $6 per MB. And even though I tried to use my data sparingly, I ended up paying $63.32 in roaming charges over just three days of usage.

If I had used the Roam Mobility talk, text, and data plan, I would have only had to pay $24.95 for 200 MB of data, unlimited talk and text within the US and back to Canada. Plus, free voicemail and caller ID.

In order to use the Roam Mobility service, you will need to purchase a SIM card for $19.95 if you have an unlocked phone. If you don’t have an unlocked phone, you can a reusable travel phone for $39.95 that allows you to talk and text (no data) – which includes a SIM card.

Another option besides Roam Mobility is to pick up a T-Mobile SIM card and use their pre-paid calling and data plans for as little as $1 per day. The only drawback to using T-Mobile’s service is that the service is only good within the US. You would pay standard rates back to Canada, at $0.49/minute and $0.10 to send and receive text messages. Whereas with Roam Mobility, the service works within the US and back to Canada.

I think Roam Mobility is a great option for both frequent and infrequent travelers to the US – especially because the SIM card does not expire. I will definitely be using this service with my unlocked iPhone the next time I head across the border.

http://www.roammobility.com

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)

1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]