View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Rebuiled or new crate lt1 motor 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Rebuiled or new crate lt1 motor
@flame of yeah it's a 6spd

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm
Operations Team

So yeah your looking at a reasonable ball park of 8-10k to do either option. IMO I tried to make the best of the lt1 as I was a die hard just as dan (flame) was and never satisfied. More grief then glory. If I knew what I knew now I would have stuck and ls in its place cost vs cost.

If you want a cheap solution that won't hurt the motor is to get the lt4 hotcam kit from summit and run the motor till it dies then worry about swapping. Comes with just about everything minus pushrods and a set of lifters to solve the ticking and tune. Doesn't require injectors and drives like stock with a decent gain in power with lopey idle.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

^ Exactly.

Once we learn what to do/not to do its easy to make the correct call.

Find me one guy running a properly built LS car out there who complains? :mrgreen:

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:11 am
CCFBG Club Member

Swapping in a new motor/wiring/programming would cost way more and potential for more headaches not to mention failing emission test/roadside inspection.

Get the bottom end rebuilt as stout as you can afford it and either put a turbo(or supercharger), get it programmed and call it good. New injectors and proramming is waaaay cheaper than having to change to an LS1 not to mention tranny mods. You might not hit the 400rwhp but you can build a kickass LT1..Or do what MetalheadZ28 (Jay) did and put a carb on it.

You dont need 400rwhp to run 12's either.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am
CCFBG Club Member

Daz wrote:
Swapping in a new motor/wiring/programming would cost way more and potential for more headaches not to mention failing emission test/roadside inspection

Go look at my swap post everything is there and functioning. Passes etest no problem and far less headaches than I had with the LT1. Oh ya and if you missed it I added a supercharger a couple years back!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:52 pm
CCFBG Club Member

@matt- I thought about the lt4 hot cam kit. I'll probably considered that option. Nothing to crazy, and expensive.
I just wanted to gain decent power, upgrade the brake system, and upgrade my suspensions. :)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 pm
CCFBG Club Member

LS swap FTW 8)

BTW mines not for sale......unless you wave 70 Benjamins under my nose :lol:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

How much did it cost for an ls1 swap?time and tuning?..Im not saying its a bad swap I just dont think its for everyone..replacing the car wuth one equipped with ls1 is the way to go..but I wont do the swap for an extra 100hp

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Daz wrote:
How much did it cost for an ls1 swap?time and tuning?..Im not saying its a bad swap I just dont think its for everyone..replacing the car wuth one equipped with ls1 is the way to go..but I wont do the swap for an extra 100hp

As said above it was about 6k with the cam,springs and headers. Either way it will need tuning so that is a wash. Time would be same as re&re the LT1 with a few more to sort out the details. The gain in mpg means I can drive it more!

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 am
CCFBG Club Member

flame wrote:
Daz wrote:

As said above it was about 6k with the cam,springs and headers. Either way it will need tuning so that is a wash. Time would be same as re&re the LT1 with a few more to sort out the details. The gain in mpg means I can drive it more!

Not to mention driveability and future power potential..

I beat my head against the LT1 wall for 13 yrs before I woke up and seen the light.

WTF was I thinking :roll:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Does that include the tranny mod and labor?Some people dont have the time,knowledge or tools to do the swap. Every diagnostic that you do always is a question if its related to the swap.Are you using LT1 emission equipment because even though I dont agree to it, you cannot change any emission equipment that came with the car. How much cheaper is it really on gas?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do? ... 7&id=15444

Let say youre getting three times better than what this website is getting. You still dont drive the car all year or enough to make much of a difference. $750 is the difference in mpg on that website. three times that is $2250..If you drive it all year you might get that but I doubt some people do.

How long was the car down for the swap?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am
CCFBG Club Member

transamtom wrote:
flame wrote:
Daz wrote:

Not to mention driveability and future power potential..

I beat my head against the LT1 wall for 13 yrs before I woke up and seen the light.

WTF was I thinking :roll:

Did you swap an LS1 in your car? If not then thats the way to go, selling an LT1 and buy an LS1 car is the best option

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:07 am
CCFBG Club Member

Daz wrote:
Does that include the tranny mod and labor?Some people dont have the time,knowledge or tools to do the swap. Every diagnostic that you do always is a question if its related to the swap.Are you using LT1 emission equipment because even though I dont agree to it, you cannot change any emission equipment that came with the car. How much cheaper is it really on gas?

Let say youre getting three times better than what this website is getting. You still dont drive the car all year or enough to make much of a difference. $750 is the difference in mpg on that website. three times that is $2250..If you drive it all year you might get that but I doubt some people do.

I reused my trans and converter. The swap was done in 2 weekends. People that can't do their own work should either not mod a car or have deep pockets. I gained 8mpg. The only emission equip from the LS1 is egr and it functions.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 pm
CCFBG Club Member

flame wrote:
Daz wrote:

I reused my trans and converter. The swap was done in 2 weekends. People that can't do their own work should either not mod a car or have deep pockets. I gained 8mpg. The only emission equip from the LS1 is egr and it functions.

I guess sweetta should just trade his car for a honda (j/k)..

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 pm
Operations Team

Price for price and if hes keeping the car going to continue modding it i rather go down spending the cash on a LS then a LT. Im not saying the LT is bad motor its just not as easy to mod and alot of pissing around to get them to work well.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next