View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Possible Progress on the T/A 
Junior Forum User

Post Possible Progress on the T/A
Randomly ended up at a car show last weekend.
There was a small shop with a little set up and some really nice cars they had done, and got talking to the owner.
I had noticed a few things with the car... bit of bubbling on rear fender lips, a pin hole in the drivers rocker from the door hitting (pins and hinges are tight, and everything lines up... makes no sense) and the passenger side is also rubbing in the same spot (at the back of the door on the sill of the rocker). And after the show, I noted a bit of rust behind a section of ground effects, but it looked more like rust dust from the clip for the ground effects.
Also have rust that needs repair on the A-pillars that requres the windsield to be removed to do it properly (plus the gasket around it is crap from the last half assed fix).
Guy said he would leave the ground effects on for the body work... But I want them off so that nothing gets missed rust wise.

I am doing all the Remove and Replace for the trim, lights etc etc. I will pull the ground effects off, bumpers, and all the vents on the hood and front fenders and all of that, so that the paint is done uniform and right. Basically it will come to the shop ready for direct body work. $60 hr shop rate.
With rust repair he said he can get it done for $5-6000 with a few layers of clear and cut and buffed. I'm getting a new wing from Hawks to replace the messed up foam stock wing.
I'm keeping the car black, but the ground effects will be This green.
Does this sound like a fair price? I pass a small shop on my way to Ottawa, it's more like some guys shop on his property, and I am going to stop in some day with the car and have him take a look. I think he may have less pressure to get it out the door. I don't need show quality paint, I'm more concerned with getting it rust free... Obviously I do want good paint quality.

And, figure I can't have this good looking car with a clapped out 305, toasted clutch T-5 in it, so I'm also on the hunt for a good 350 or 383 with roughly 350HP in it. Not sure where to go, of if I get a short block and build the rest myself... I have rebuilt lots of 2 strokes and a couple 4 stroke MX bikes so I am pretty sure I can do a pushrod V-8.

T-56 from an LT car will be the new gear box.

So thats my roughly $10,000 shopping list to have the car 50% done the way I want it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]