View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Having issues with a paint shop... Input requested 
Junior Forum User

Post Having issues with a paint shop... Input requested
Well, I painted my T/A twice last summer in the garage... New painter, had dust issues (second time was much much better but I still wasn't happy).
So, I dropped the car off at a small shop about a month ago, quoted me $1500-$1800. All he had to do was basically scuff it and shoot it, everything was already off the car.
I deal with his son through text (the guy doing the work is a bit old school). I've had multiple "it will be ready by such and such a date"... I've had to cancel u-haul trailers, I've had to cancel on the appraiser etc. It was supposed to be ready this past Monday, and then I got some excuse and they said it will be ready this Friday. So I booked a trailer for Saturday (earliest I could get it), and now it sounds like they might not be sure... I don't even know if the work has started. Supposedly I'm getting a phone call from the guy tomorrow.

I'm now slightly concerned that they somehow damaged the car (I have a very fresh LS1/T56 swap), I have somehow come up with this thought that they may have attempted a burnout and blown the rear end or something similar and are buying time to get it fixed without me knowing... But I will know, I built the car.

If work hasn't started, do I have any right to demand my car and keys be ready Saturday morning so I can take it to another shop and to have a police presence?

The guy seemed good, a little rough around the edges but like a hard worker.

I work late hours with weird shifts 6 days a week, it isn't easy for me to get time to get things done outside of work, and I feel like an idiot calling and cancelling on other people.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Having issues with a paint shop... Input requested
just show up and surprise them to see whats been done

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Fri May 01, 2015 8:16 am
CCFBG Club Member

Welcome to the world of body shops.........they are all the same as far as I am concerned...I have used many of them over the years....they tell you one thing and do another.
Unless it's a collision repair thru an insurance company you will get put on the back burner every time. There is more money for them in insurance claims that your job, so guess who gets pushed back.
My car went in over a month ago. I was told 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then by the end of April. Now maybe next week if I can believe what he says. This guys is picky and very good so I am not pushing him, but I wish as you do that they would just tell you up front how long it will be and not lead you along every week.

Fri May 01, 2015 8:18 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

6SIX6 wrote:
just show up and surprise them to see whats been done

Ya...I check on mine every week and listen to the new excuse

Fri May 01, 2015 8:19 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Put the ball in the body shop's court.

Tell him you're not offended if he really doesn't want to paint the car. If he postpones again, bluntly say "You're telling me with with other words that you don't have the time and to bring the car somewhere else". Then see what he says.

Good luck!

Previously - 1996 Z-28, 1989 Pontiac GTA, 1985 5.7 IROC Z-28, 1976 Camaro LT, 1974 Trans Am 455HO, 1974 Z-28, 1967 Firebird Sprint,
1967 Camaro 230 cu-in 140-hp "Blue Flame" straight six with a 2-speed powerglide.

Fri May 01, 2015 10:25 am
CCFBG Club Member

Kensredzed wrote:
Put the ball in the body shop's court.

Tell him you're not offended if he really doesn't want to paint the car. If he postpones again, bluntly say "You're telling me with with other words that you don't have the time and to bring the car somewhere else". Then see what he says.

Good luck!

That only works if they have not done any work on the car. They usually do a little bit each week of every few days so there is always some progress being made but it's very slow. Once they have started the work it will only cost you more..... by the time you pay him for what he did and then pay somebody else to take over it will always be more cash.

Fri May 01, 2015 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Junior Forum User

I don't think any work has even been started... I'm taking a drive out there right after work if I don't get a phone call before then.
He is just a small shop, single guy operation type deal, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get much insurance work... I figured a smaller shop would have been better (I used to work in a big shop years ago). He only has room for a couple of cars in the shop, and mine has been tarped outside so if he hasn't moved it inside, work hasn't likely been started on it.
I really don't want to rent a trailer to bring it home, then find another shop and then rent a trailer again and wait in line at a different shop... It was supposed to have been finished 3 weeks ago.

Also, U-Haul is absolutely horrible... If I had more options I wouldn't be dealing with them. I can't wait to buy my own car hauler! I've booked trailers only to have them cancel and book for another time in another location without consulting me... Been a battle all week.

Fri May 01, 2015 1:10 pm
Operations Team

Thats why i finally bought my own car hauler! Unfortunatly its the space to keep it that alot of us dont have.

Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

My close friend took his sb ss pick up in for paint when he was 17. Body "all done" just scuff and paint.... 15 years later the truck finally went to the scrap.

The reasons was simple in this guys case. Hes the CHEAPEST guy EVER and nickel and dimed the body shop to a real atrractive price, for HIM, not them. He literally showed up at their shop for damn near daily for over a year whining and moaning about when etc etc etc. He is the wealthiest friend I have but the baldest and least happy as he is ALWAYS stressing dough. Anyways when my sisters brand new STS got creamed and she took it to Roy Foss for repair? It was ready 4 days later and they gave her another Caddy to drive while they worked on it.

So.... Moral of the story is? Get what you pay for or at least be sure to follow someones advice whos been there dont that. Unknown body shops are the closest thing we have in Canada, to pikeys. Beware the iunknown shops lmao

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Sat May 02, 2015 1:14 pm
Junior Forum User

I didn't dicker on the price at all. I saw the stuff he was working on and some of the stuff that was finished in the lot waiting to be picked up and I was happy with what I saw.
He does all the work at his small shop and uses the booth at another shop, and apparently the issue has been getting the car in to the other shop's booth. It was supposed to have been painted today so I'm making a stop tomorrow to see... Either way I want to see the car, and the stage it's at.

This paint job is only to last a couple of years, once I get more situated I'll be stripping the car to a shell and starting from scratch... And hopefully I'll have paint booth access at work by that point.

Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm
Senior Forum User

Sounds like a diligent deal, cant say why the delay? Dunno. Schmitt tuning does fine paint work btw... 8)

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Mon May 04, 2015 12:52 am
Junior Forum User

Ran up and checked the car out the other day (it's about 50 mins away), car was scuffed and waiting for the booth. Monday is pick up day. The guy is being anal about it, he doesn't want it leaving his shop without it being something he wants his name attached to it (can't blame him for that). So, the u-haul is booked and it should all be good. Booking the appraiser for Monday afternoon and hopefully if everything runs smooth I'll be driving it to the first meet on the 15th!!

Thu May 07, 2015 8:13 pm
Senior Forum User

Alls well that ends well. Pics or didnt happen :P

12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Thu May 07, 2015 10:16 pm
Junior Forum User

Well, a few more delays, price is now at $2500. I managed to see it actually in the booth getting the 2nd coat of clear. When the painter came out I asked if that was a color coat he layed down as it was a but dull/hazy, he said it was the second coat of clear... I hope it shines up as it cures.
Problems I saw through the window in the door:
A couple fish eyes, some dust, a bit of dry spray.
My engine bay didn't get masked off, so my polished and painted fresh LS1 swap is now oversprayed. I asked the guy spraying if he saw the motor, he said yep, it sure looks nice... So he knew there was work done in there.
The door handles got sprayed, so now in my opinion they look cheap (supposed to be matte black from factory)
Possibility they didn't mask off the mirror mounting holes, and my interior door panels are off so I likely have over spray in my interior which, aside from the carpet was near mint.
My fender vent grilles didn't get masked. I had painted them gold so now I have to pull that all apart to do them again.
There is paint on all of my rear light bulbs so they all need to be replaced (thank god I took my rear lights out!)
I know there is primer over spray on my front hood supports, a wiper blade and part of my windshield, top of my headlights (I took the bezels out before I dropped it off).
This thing is now over a month over due and $700 over the higher end of the original quote (I always assume to extend both the time and the quote, but not this much time or that much more for a simple job that ended up being messed up).

I'm also going to inspect for solvent pop, since I was talking to the painter between the second and third coat of clear, I know he didn't wait enough time for a flash over between coats... He was also surprised I wanted the mirrors painted when he does the wing in the morning...
I have never met the guy painting before, just the original fella who did the body work who I also assumed would at least be there during paint.

Do I not have the right to take my car and pay him what I owe him minus the $ it's going to cost me to fix all the mistakes? Never mind the cost to wet sand and polish the clear... It's too bad for this guy that even though I'm not the best painter (yet) I do know a thing or two about painting.
The guy painting was also in the booth wearing a dusty hat and his dirty sweater he's been sanding in all day.

Wed May 13, 2015 10:04 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Google "the purpose of a paint-suit". Print the sheet and bring it to the body-shop guy you did the deal with. Then tell him you expect him to delilver the car done right. The entire responsibility is on his shoulders to deliver a professional job. Not to have painting mistakes done that you could have done yourself. The real question is can you trust him a second time around? Even if only to fix it for free?

I know less than your average person about automotive painting. But isn't there such thing as white coveralls and suits specially for automotive painters? To prevent dust contamination maybe? Every automotive overhauling program on TV shows people wearing them.

My heart goes out to you.
Ken

Previously - 1996 Z-28, 1989 Pontiac GTA, 1985 5.7 IROC Z-28, 1976 Camaro LT, 1974 Trans Am 455HO, 1974 Z-28, 1967 Firebird Sprint,
1967 Camaro 230 cu-in 140-hp "Blue Flame" straight six with a 2-speed powerglide.

Fri May 15, 2015 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next