View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for build info on Toronto area 88 GTA please 

Post Looking for build info on Toronto area 88 GTA please
Greetings from Kingston!
I just bought an 88 bright red GTA and would like to find out more about the engine build.
I bought it from a guy in Missasagua but he wasn't too sure about the mods or previous history. Perhaps someone here used to own it or knows the car.
It has a Holley Stealth Ram intake, Edelbrock aluminum heads, comp full roller rockers, Edelbrock BBK TB, MSD 6al ignition box and MSD coil,decent quality painted but uncoated headers, 6 speed swap with a 4th gen center console, lowering springs, magnaflow 3inch single to dual exhaust system, centerforce clutch, Obvious signs of tuning the stock ECM. It also has a potent Alpine sound system with 2 audiobahn subs in a custom box. No rust and undercoated. Bright red paint job slightly different than actual 88 GTA. PO says its 2000 Chevy Cavalier red?
Car has T-Tops and was originally a 5.0L but not sure if it was born with an auto or Stick yet. Not even sure if it is a 5.7 yet! (couldn't see the casting # on the block). Actually, hoping to hit the jackpot and find out its a stroker lol!
I haven't had much time to work on it but I bought it not running. It is a crank but no start problem. Verified no spark. Verified MSD CD ignition working. Verified power to coil/ignition module when key on not cranking. Changed module to GM. Still no spark.
Im looking for a PO that knows more about the build to help me sort out what I have here and what path to follow to get her tuned nicely for the summer!
It appears to have spent its whole life around the GTA, Mississauga, possibly Brampton.
Does this car sound familiar to anyone here?
Thanks,
Rob

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:16 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Looking for build info on Toronto area 88 GTA please
Sounds very familiar to me. Fairly certain that was a local car to my area. Do you remember where roughly in Mississauga the car was located?

A no start issue because of no spark sounds like an issue with the VATS system (the chip in the key and the chip "reader" in the ignition cylinder) to me. Otherwise a bad pickup in the distributor would also cause a no spark.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:11 pm
Profile WWW

It's got enough mods that someone here will eventually recognize the build. Just getting back into the F-body hobby after about a 10 year break. My kids are old enough now to do most of the work and it is a lot of fun watching them learn and become passionate about V8 torque!
We got it running yesterday. The MSD6 CD ignition box has some issues as well as the ignition control module was fried. We installed a Jacobs Omni Magnum ignition and she fired right up with 2 year old gas in her lol.
I verified it has a 5.7L roller cam block and the trans appears to be an aftermarket T56 with a Hurst manual shifter. It has a pretty good lope so I am quite curious now to find out what cam has been installed. The motor runs quite nicely with no blow-by and no smoke when revved in neutral.
It has 1.6 full roller rockers and the builder used ARP head bolts to install the Edelbrock heads. I hope the engine internals turn out to be as well built as the rest of this car.
The car was parked in the owners garage in a multi unit complex . It was near the intersection of Hurontario and Central Pkwy on Mississauga Valley Blvd.
The previous owners name is Mihyar . He's a really nice guy but didn't have much in depth info about the build. He bought it in 2011 already built. The owner before Mihyar bought it name is Pasquale from 1995 to 2011. Looks like it was actually in Woodbridge during these years. (I just found a used vehicle buyers package in the console).
Sound familiar at all?

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:06 pm
Senior Forum User

Sounds like a nice ride! Put up some pics.

Formerly 95 LT1 [LE2.2]/T56/4.11 9 Bolt..12.6@114MPH

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Indeed, it is pretty nice for a "barn find". A lot of nice surprises under the hood that were not advertised. I called and asked about it and he said it dynoed at 450 on a chassis dyno.... I made my way there just in case it was a wreck with a wicked engine. Turns out the car is pretty damn nice although I am betting on right around 300 rwhp with those little Edelbrock performers on it. Needs the usual....wing, headliner,door seals. The rest of it is pretty nice, hatch latch even works! Found a fibreglass wing already but could use a good Ontario source for the rest. Used to get my parts from David Ts in Edmonton but we live near Kingston Ont. now.
Ill throw up some pics soon.
Rob

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:13 pm
Senior Forum User

A few guys on here from TO area have lots of parts and are great to deal with.. look in the classifieds.

Formerly 95 LT1 [LE2.2]/T56/4.11 9 Bolt..12.6@114MPH

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]