View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST 
Senior Forum User

efh wrote:
The only forged part in a 5.0L are the pistons , the crank is cast iron and the rods have 5/16 rod bolts 350 Chevs have 3/8 [about the same size as your Honda , but holding a lot more mass together ] The only thing that keeps the stock rods tgether without boost or NOS is that they have a better rod ratio than a small block Chev , so with stock parts keep the power adders to a minimum
As far as the brakes go they seem to work fine on my buddie's twin turbo boss 302 that I built for him , mind you his Cobra is a lot lighter than a Mustang but with roughly 700HP it's got a lot more power to stop than a stock Mustang :)

Yes yes..i know only the pistons are forged in 87-92 and under 5.0L HO's...i stand corrected i was just typing in a hurray :D

However, over the years I know plenty of guys who had stock motor'd 5.0L foxbodies with only a few mods....Suspension, Slicks, Headers/Exhaust and a 150 DRY shot of nitrous and they were running 11's in the quarter. Not just once or twice or even 10 times....but hundreds of times.

This one specific friend of mine even hit his with a 200 shot from time to time during $$ street races a few years ago and that motor never skipped a beat. Never even popped the valve covers off that thing and at the end of it he did a compression test and it was more than acceptable. It was a dog on the motor but a whole new animal on spray.

Ive met tons of 5.0L guys over the years who have similar results with bolt-on supercharger kits like the D1SC and so on.

Just try and stay under 550rwhp otherwise you might be looking at your internals from the outside of the motor when the block splits in half :lol:

Good luck with that some people can play with a gernade longer than others :wink:
As far as the broken blocks go it's as much an ignition cross fire issue as it is a horsepower issue because of the firing order and plug wire layout they are suseptable to two pairs of cly on opposite banks being fired at the same time and since a crank can't rotate 2 directions at once the duel explosions puts between 5,000 to 15,000 lbs of force on the block , more if the engine was on the verge of detonation when this all happened .

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:30 pm
Senior Forum User

Ohh sure you say this now. I did notice what felt like a missfire. :shock:

I drive a FORD suckers But i do miss my camaro

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 pm
CCFBG Club Member

As Hal was saying the ignition wires have to be routed with care on the Fords. The wires on certain cylinders can not run parallel. Those wires are to cross over each other to prevent cross firing. The F150's had a sticker on the upper rad showing the proper routing.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Senior Forum User

Hmm even with really good wires? guess i'll have to buy some wire seperators. i have the wires zip tied together.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 pm
Senior Forum User

Good wires help but after a while they start to break down . Part of the problem is that they have a very strong ignition system [same with Dodge] so that they burn the wires from the inside out .
Buy a wire set with a lifetime warrenty and repace them every 2 yrs ,make sure they are routed right and you won't have a problem [Ryan I've got the diagram on how to run the wires if you want ]
The same thing goes for a Chev if anybody ever decides to build one with a 4,7 firing order swap camshaft becareful with how you run the wires

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm
CCFBG Club Member

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 pm
CCFBG Club Member

thats it..,...im getting an ls1

:lol:

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

I put split loom on all wires and re routed them so i'm good.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2