View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 carb question 
CCFBG Club Member

Post carb question
im posting here to see if i can get some info for a friend of mine. Like me, he started with a thirdgen and due to rust problems, he had to say goodbye to the car. this summer he got an 75 2door malibu. the tranny from a 87 caprice, an 350 solid cam and then got a carb for it. Since he is a member of TGO, he decided to post the question about his carb. Conclusion of the story, his thread got closed bc this carb never came on Thirdgens.. what an excuse :arg:

here is the link:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/carburetors/584548-i-need-know-more.html#post4647527

if anyone knows any info about his carb, would be great and pls post here :D

Thanks guys :)

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:11 am
CCFBG Club Member

its a shitty old 5 ton truck governed carb...

ditch it.

was he planning on running the solid cam with a stock engine with a 2 barrel?

cam needs to match up with compression, stall and gears or it could be slower then stock.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 pm
Junior Forum User

the key word to my set up is "STOCK"

I have to run a solid cam because it's the rules, it may be time to upgrade for an RV cam, unless I can get away with an actual performance cam. for now assume stock though. that, along with stock compression and stall (200R4). I have no idea for gears, I bought this car as a rolling chassis asphalt car and I'm converting it to run dirt.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 am
CCFBG Club Member

4 barrel carbs came stock in some cars and what 75 car does a solid cam came with?..

Whats an RV cam?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:33 am
Junior Forum User

I guess I should've mentioned, I'm building this car for circle track dirt racing. here are the rules at both places I'm building for:
http://www.freeportracewaypark.com/frpruleshs09.html
http://lasallespeedway.com/rules/street-stock/

at both places I need to run a 2bbl carb, but the Holley 500cfm is the weapon of choice at LaSalle Speedway.
the older small block chevy's were all solid lifter and cam unless there was a special package I don't know about. they changed it in about 86 or 87 when they went to roller cam and lifters. either way this motor came out of a 76 chevy 1/2 ton pick-up. it has about 90k miles and could probably use a new cam.
an RV cam is the slang term I always hear around here for a cam made for trucks or other applications with lower end torque.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:00 am
Senior Forum User

HYDRAULIC FLAT TAPPET cams and lifters started in the mid 70's in most domestic cars. solid lifter cams were common on pre egr and smog vehicles. i MAY BE WRONG, JOHN OR HAL WILL CORRECT ME.

I drive a FORD suckers But i do miss my camaro

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:36 am
Senior Forum User

First off you seem to be confusing flat tappet cams with solid lifter cams . :roll: Flat tappet cams come in both hyd. and solid . The rules just say no roller cams . A solid cam would be the answer if you had enough compression to go with it. The rules look to be pretty open so build as much squeeze and cubic inches as you can with your budget , but the best plan is get your self a 500 holley and find a shop that has actually seen a stock car motor before :wink:

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:42 am
CCFBG Club Member

75 Camaros came with 2 BBL Rochesters thats still works better than that..

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 am
Junior Forum User

no that's my bad, I was referring to anything non-roller, not even referring to flat tappet or solid lifters specifically. I'm not sure what the real difference is off the top of my head actually.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:56 pm
CCFBG Club Member

hey ktuga, you convinced me to sign up.

im happy u signed up :D i just saw ur message today. good u got it!!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:37 pm
CCFBG Club Member

your going to race circle track with a 200r4? and if so....why???

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:10 pm
Junior Forum User

I'm gonna race with it, but I'm not going to win with it. yea, the 200R4 isn't a weapon of choice, but I had a caprice I was getting rid of and I needed a transmission for the race car. a 3 or 4 speed saginaw or muncie would be my first choice mainly because of the weight savings of a manual. I know a lot of people would chose an automatic like a powerglide, but I want to have fun and I think a stick is more fun. once you get into your final gear (1:1) its pretty much all the same anyway from what I hear.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 pm
Senior Forum User

You really need to talk to some people who actually race , on dirt [unless you are running a sprint car where it is direct drive and you can put as much rear gear in the car as you like ] you are never in high gear . Guys whole run cars like yours will run in 2 maybe 3 gear depending on if it is a 3 or 4 speed and also depending your rear gears .
If you want to have fun that is great but if you are a danger to the serios races because you don't have a clue then someone "WILL " park you on your roof
Once again find a good shop and ask someone who is racing for help

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Junior Forum User

yea I've heard I'll probably be running 2nd or maybe 3rd if I have a stock-ish final drive. it doesn't really matter what gear I'm in as long as I'm moving with he pack though. no need to over-think this set-up, just get it on the track right now and I'll worry about screwing with my set-up later.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 pm
Junior Forum User

thought I should put in a few pictures so everyone can see a little more of the car.
this was with the 305 that came out of the caprice, didn't keep it in long, just wanted to drive it while I looked for the right 350 or 400.
below is a picture of the 350 pretty close to what it looks like today

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next