View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Some questions, like some insight. 
Senior Forum User

Post Some questions, like some insight.
Already fellow apes. I am looking ahead to next spring, and seeing my Trans-Am, and how I want to do something different to it. I have a few options laid out.

Option 1 :

Camshaft-ValveTrain upgrades (Springs, lifters, chain, pushrods and oilpump)

-Id likley go with a 220/220/114lsa, I'd love to run a 112LSA, but from what I have read I want to be about -8* overlap at .050" for the sniffer tests. (Can always lower it 100rpm on the idle to give me more raunch) :P

Idle quality :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EBu4pCvZs

Pros to this :
-Sexy idle
-Power
-Able to say I have a cammed LS1 8)

Cons :
-Pricey
-Motor has 260,000KM on it
-Its running so nice now I'd hate to tear into it and cause issues
-My stock Clutch will likley tell me to F-Off shortly after a few WOT runs

Option 2 :

My exhaust sounds good, but I'd like a little louder, currently running :

Longtubes -> OR-Y -> 3" Midpipe into a Magnaflow with boom tubes.

I will have to cat the Y at the end of next year for an emission test, so I was debating a Chambered setup like a GMMG. The cats should take away the rasp, and it'll be louder for sure, then I could run some quad tailpipes kinda like this :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GMMG :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4A7C0XYZw

Pros to this :
-Cheaper then cam
-Less risk of stuff going wrong
-Sound sexy

Cons :
-Its not a cam.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 am
CCFBG Club Member

I guess it really depends whether you want more power or just sound. I'm running the TR224 114LSA and have no probs with etest. It makes good usable power for everyday driving and runs 12.15 in the 1/4. Yes your stock clutch will not like the extra power so plan on swapping that shortly after.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:11 am
CCFBG Club Member

Doesn't matter :) you will sell it before then anyways :twisted: :twisted:

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:16 am
Senior Forum User

I guess it really depends whether you want more power or just sound. I'm running the TR224 114LSA and have no probs with etest. It makes good usable power for everyday driving and runs 12.15 in the 1/4. Yes your stock clutch will not like the extra power so plan on swapping that shortly after.

Really after the sound.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:23 am
Senior Forum User

Doing a cam swap without the exhaust to support it is kind of a waste. You'll gain 20-30 with that cam but add the headers and you can add at least another 30. These engines like RPM and the manifolds will really hold you back up top.

Second vote for the TR224 however. Its a great cam and regardless of 220 or 224 you wont pass emissions with a decent power tune you need to retard timing to pass so might as well get the good one and go

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:59 am
CCFBG Club Member

Doing a cam swap without the exhaust to support it is kind of a waste. You'll gain 20-30 with that cam but add the headers and you can add at least another 30. These engines like RPM and the manifolds will really hold you back up top.

Second vote for the TR224 however. Its a great cam and regardless of 220 or 224 you wont pass emissions with a decent power tune you need to retard timing to pass so might as well get the good one and go

He already has headers on the car. For the etest all I did was bump the idle up to 1150. I probably could have left it alone and still passed but who wants to give the gov more money if it happened to fail.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm
Senior Forum User

Arun that used to work at Champion has been giving me some insight, he has a 224/228 114LSA, and can tune it for me, and yes car already has a FAST intake and Full exhaust.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 pm
Forum Moderator

I have a 220/224 cam on a 114...no e-test issues but it does need the higher idle to pass. I did try it with the stock idle - 3x the limit (oops?). That's with the large magnaflow cats too.

Maybe I should pull it out and sell it to you and go bigger? :twisted:

Keep in mind any cam you are pretty much going to need to raise the idle to get it to pass an e-test every 2 years. So factor in the cost of hptuners to the cam purchase.

Btw...the cam install isn't that expensive if you stay low on the lift. Mine is 551 lift so I run the Z06 springs which are only $75 for the set from the dealer.

Mark

Sold - '97 Cayenne Red Z28

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 pm
Senior Forum User

I have a 220/224 cam on a 114...no e-test issues but it does need the higher idle to pass. I did try it with the stock idle - 3x the limit (oops?). That's with the large magnaflow cats too.

Maybe I should pull it out and sell it to you and go bigger? :twisted:

Keep in mind any cam you are pretty much going to need to raise the idle to get it to pass an e-test every 2 years. So factor in the cost of hptuners to the cam purchase.

Btw...the cam install isn't that expensive if you stay low on the lift. Mine is 551 lift so I run the Z06 springs which are only $75 for the set from the dealer.

Mark

Any idle clips of yours Mark? and Yes id buy it from you ;)

Parts id replace :

Cam
Valvesprings
Pushrods

My buddy owns a shop in town and we could do it there on a weekend. Just yank subframe down, clean everything up, swap in my new oil psi switch and install the new goodies and reinstall. Also Arun will be doing all the tuning for me on the car.

So itll be not THAT pricey, my clutch is a LUK and is like 20,000km on it, uits like new. So id go till it was cooked, then install new one later on, so just cam/springs/pushrods shouldnt be pricey.

Should I do timing chain (260,000km on motor)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm
Forum Moderator

Parts id replace :

Cam
Valvesprings
Pushrods

My buddy owns a shop in town and we could do it there on a weekend. Just yank subframe down, clean everything up, swap in my new oil psi switch and install the new goodies and reinstall. Also Arun will be doing all the tuning for me on the car.

I still have stock pushrods...with the Z06 springs you don't need the upgraded ones. Any heavier springs though and I would. Or if you plan to turn higher than stock RPM I would too :)

No need to drop the subframe...can just pull the rad...I did mine in my garage on jackstands in a day and a half by myself.

Mark

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:42 pm
Senior Forum User

Ape Man wrote:

Parts id replace :

Cam
Valvesprings
Pushrods

Nice, Prob. easier to do it that way. So when you selling me yours ;)

Any idle clips?

I still have stock pushrods...with the Z06 springs you don't need the upgraded ones. Any heavier springs though and I would. Or if you plan to turn higher than stock RPM I would too :)

No need to drop the subframe...can just pull the rad...I did mine in my garage on jackstands in a day and a half by myself.

Mark

When can I buy yours? ;)

Ill prob. just do it that way again. Also, any idle clips buddy?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:49 pm
Senior Forum User

Arun that used to work at Champion has been giving me some insight, he has a 224/228 114LSA, and can tune it for me, and yes car already has a FAST intake and Full exhaust.

Thats a good lift for your combo especially with the FAST. What lobes are they?

Id run LSL lobes or EPS lobes if you order new. Marks cam is very smooth Ive been in his car its a great street cam as well.

Im not a fan of the stock pushrods even with stock cams. Ive pulled appart a few LS engines now and seen more than one bent in stock use. Pushrods are not pricey either so Id do it.

Mind you the yellow Z06 springs are excellent if you can get away with running them they last a very long time

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:58 pm
Senior Forum User

Ape Man wrote:

Thats a good lift for your combo especially with the FAST. What lobes are they?

Id run LSL lobes or EPS lobes if you order new. Marks cam is very smooth Ive been in his car its a great street cam as well.

Im not a fan of the stock pushrods even with stock cams. Ive pulled appart a few LS engines now and seen more than one bent in stock use. Pushrods are not pricey either so Id do it.

Mind you the yellow Z06 springs are excellent if you can get away with running them they last a very long time

I want a little chop at idle, this would be PERFECT :

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:01 pm
Senior Forum User

Chop is easy with any of the cams your looking at just lower your idle...

Mind you the 224/228 will be at about the limits for a street cam imo. Once you crest the 230 duration with stock cubes it becomes a bit uncivilized for daily driver type use. Plus your power band starts to shift too high in the RPM band to make use of it on the street and it'll be boggy down low.

As for the clutch as mentioned above it probably wont last long if you track it at all but once its cooked I cant say enough good things about the LS7 set up for the street. Great holding power and took a beating from HELL from me and still looks like new. Stock pedal feel and pressure too

12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 pm
Forum Moderator

I want a little chop at idle, this would be PERFECT :

Mine has a bit of a chop...but nothing serious. If you are in town you can hear it in person :) No clips of it though.

I hear ya on stock pushrods. I figure I don't turn more than 6200-6300 RPM and have bent a few before on a missed shift (I also bent a bunch of valves). When I put them in I figured it was a "fuse" of sorts in the valvetrain in case something went horribly wrong again :) Like I said though - any heavier springs or any more RPM and I wouldn't use stock ones.

Mark

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next