View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Transmission problem's, HELP would be greatly appreciated... 
Forum User

Post Transmission problem's, HELP would be greatly appreciated...
When I got in the car today to go home, I placed the transmission in (D) and slowly drove out of the parking lot. Right away, I noticed that something wasn't right. The engine RPM kept increasing so the transmission was not shifting out of first gear.

I slowly increased engine speed and the tranny finally shifted into 2nd at about 4000rpm. Then it was stuck in second and wouldn't shift into 3rd until about 5000rpm.

I got on the highway and noticed that the car would't go into overdrive so I just drove the car really slowly to keep the engine RPM down.

Suddenly, the tranny shifted into OD, and all was well. Just out of curiosity, I gave it some gas to see if it would automatically downshift into 3rd like it's supposed to but it was stuck in OD. I hit wide-open throttle and there was virtually no acceleration because it wouldn't go back into 3rd gear.

By the time I got off the highway, I noticed that when the car did shift, it shifted really hard. It basically felt as if I installed a shift kit (which I didn't).

When I got home, I didn't smell any burning and I checked the tranny fluid to make sure it had the proper amount and it did.

I just wanted to know from the experts what could be the problem. Did I burn through the clutch's? Is my converter slipping?

What are the possible reasons for this sudden behavior? The car was fine this morning and I wasn't racing or anything so what would cause the tranny to act like this out of the blue?

The tranny is a 700r4 by the way. It's in my '88 IROC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:12 pm
Senior Forum User

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:16 pm
CCFBG Club Member

likely the throttle valve sticking in the bore of the valvebody....there is an extra spring that can be put in behind it to help with that....just snap the cable by hand under the hood a couple times. if that doesn't work pan will likely have to come off.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]