View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Clutch Master Cylinder 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Clutch Master Cylinder
Looking to possibly upgrade the clutch master cylinder and have seen this setup below. Any suggestions?

Thought about the LS7 unit, but have heard that the pedal feel is a little stiff? Has anyone used this unit below and how is pedal feel?

Also heard about a drill mod for the ls1/ls6 units and wondering if it is worth attempting this upgrade.

http://www.kaltechtuning.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=263

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 am
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
A lot of guys rave about that master but its not nec. The trick is to follow Rangers protocol and change your fluid regularly and then stock hydraulics work fine. The drill mod is essential though regardless of which master you use. The LS7 unit? What is this exactly?

Heres the Ranger protocol

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 am
CCFBG Club Member

Great vid, thanks for sharing. Thought there was an ls7 master cylinder as well, but i must have been confused with the ls7 clutch. Just changed the fluid, it was a little dark.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm
Senior Forum User

Yeah Rangers the man. 10.85 out of a bone stock LS7 ZO6 but naahhhhhh its not because LS engines are so great or anything :roll:

Show me a regular production full warranty factory BB anything that ever did anything even close to that. I guess its okay to rave about LS1's in here cuz we;re the only guys in here LOL. Dont know if you saw it but heres the vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469NvIOi ... dded#at=35

Mind you thats not even the record for a bone stock ZO6 although he held it for almost a season with that run. I personally witnessed a bone stock ZO6 on factory good years with 1100kms on the car run an 11.3 @124 at Cayuga a few years back. Impressive performance by any measure. Ima get me one of those cars but not quite yet.

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:58 pm
CCFBG Club Member

lol comparing two engines with 30 yr technology and 30k dollars in difference is kinda silly.Not to mention tires,suspension parts and geometry.Driver also plays a huge role

Bash the big blocks all you want but when you start comparing how much you spend to make your LS1 go 500HP or up, you will start talking about miles per gallon instead of horsepower per dollars..:lol:

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_1004_bill_jenkins_chevy_zl_1_camaro/index.html

BTW Super Stock has been around longer than any LS1's and they have been going pretty fast with stock parts.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 am
CCFBG Club Member

Hey Daz,

I hope my post doesn’t go from a clutch master cylinder remedy to the beginning of a debate of old technology versus new, big block versus small block, since I am sure both styles have their pros and cons. That is not my intention.

Just a quick recap. My conversion would not be a fair comparison on many levels because of a number of reasons. The big block I had in there was not set up for power, just more for burning gas, although I’m sure with a little help from the tech guys like yourself and many others on this site, I would have had a kick in the pants very explosive performing big block car.

However, that was not my goal. I wanted the complete package of handling, smooth acceleration, and braking, and I exceeded those expectations with my build.

For some reassurance, I had a well respected tuner/professional test the car in its current form, and his reaction was that “he could drive this car to Florida and enjoy the power, reliability and comfort it has to offer.” Don’t think many people would put the two comments power & comfort in the same sentence when describing a 40+ year old car. It was the best car thing I’ve ever accomplished.

I always enjoy reading opinions from other members, and they never offend me. They just give me a better perspective and provide me with options available.

Oh, and pedal pressure and clutch engagement is good, thanks Cam :mrgreen:

Tony

ON A CARB DIET

'69 Camaro ZO69
'66 Fiat Nuova 500 White FOR SALE
'63 Fiat Nuova 500 Green

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 am
CCFBG Club Member

not my intention iaroc(tony?).

I agree completely that every platform/combo has their pros and cons.

Did you figure out what was done in that BBC youre selling?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am
CCFBG Club Member

Regarding the big block, the last owner provided me with the recent build sheet which included the following
New-
manifold
valve seals
gasket set
cam
lifters
timing chain/gears
main bearings
rod bearings
rear main seal
oil pump

I added the following-
edelbrock high volume w/pump
msd ign wire set(custom fit)
ign vire loom kit
msd distributor
braded oil supply line kit
140 amp bosch alternator

All I can remember for now, but sure there is more. I drove it in 30 degree + weather in traffic last summer. I did have a slight issue with the new chrome valve covers I installed, but that was remedied with new valve cover gaskets.

Latest offer was 2k and refused. At 3.5k I would include the headers, engine mounts, wiring, driveshaft, and TH400 transmission.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm
CCFBG Club Member

piston type?compression ratio?cam specs?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm
CCFBG Club Member

just found a little more information

oval port heads
crank #7416
heads #6272292
block #3999289
4 bolt main
valve lift / int .501 - exh .501
lobe ctrs / int 109 - exh 119
lash hot / int hyd - exh hyd