View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Brake bleeding 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Brake bleeding
Can't seem to get this right, but it may be because im trying to do it by myself.

Changed front calipers on my durango.

Bled all four brakes, pretty sure I got all the air bubbles out so it was just clear fluid and no tiny little bubbles coming out.

Pedal felt rock hard while the ignition was off, then as I turned it on, and press the brake in to shift from park, it sinks to the floor and almost near the bottom does it give any brake feel. I can bottom out the pedal.

Reservoir is full. Do I need 2 people? one to operate the bleeders and the other on the pedal?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 pm
Profile ICQ
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Brake bleeding
For 2 person brake bleeding one person presses on the brake peddle and on person opens the bleed screw.
The bleed screw should have a clear line running into a container with brake fluid in it with the end of the tube covered with fluid.
Start by building up slight pressure in the brake line then open the bleed screw.
Fluid will flow out along the line.
When the peddle is near the end of its travel the person at the bleed screw closes it.
Let the peddle return to the top of its travel and again apply slight pressure.
When the cycle is compete with no air showing then the brakes are bled.

To bleed the brakes with only one person you need to use either a pressure bleeder to take the place of the person on brake peddle or one of the bleed kits that have a one way check valve attached to the bleeder screw.

You need to be sure that the master cylinder never runs out of fluid during either method. If it does then you will need to bleed the master cylinder.

Remember that the peddle will sink some when you start up as you now have vacuum assist when did not before. It will drop some but it should not go all the way to the floor. It sounds like you still have air in the system how did you do the bleed on your own?

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2
2002 Mazda Miata SE Top Down Fun

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:38 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Bled it using the 2 person method a second time and the pedal is still mushy. Im taking it to the shop on monday as I don't know what i've missed.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 pm
Profile ICQ
CCFBG Club Member

had a guy bring his dodge truck in one day for same kinda problem, your bleeder screws are on the top? he had left and right calipers mixed up and bleeders were on bottom and air in calipers.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 am
Forum Moderator

merc3065 wrote:
Bled it using the 2 person method a second time and the pedal is still mushy. Im taking it to the shop on monday as I don't know what i've missed.

Did you bleed it at the master cylinder, i had an issue like that once ,and it had something to do with air in the master, also it could be an issue with your abs(if your truck has it.)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am
CCFBG Club Member

Mr Bastard wrote:
had a guy bring his dodge truck in one day for same kinda problem, your bleeder screws are on the top? he had left and right calipers mixed up and bleeders were on bottom and air in calipers.

My bleeders are on the bottom of the calipers. I'll switch em around and see if it helps. Didn't think I could get em on backwards as they've always been that way since I had the truck, never thought anything of it hah.

Maybe I don't need to go to the shop afterall...

I do have an ABS module but its for the rears only, but you need a scantool to bleed it (or pulse it to push fluid through)

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 am
Profile ICQ
CCFBG Club Member

i have never needed anything special to bleed a vehicle with abs brakes

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 am
CCFBG Club Member

Hi merc3065 if you see this message this morning. Give me a call I will explain how to do a brake bleed. Frank zapper 28 416-740-1458.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 am
CCFBG Club Member

The ABS module on mine is supposed to be closed during normal brake operation, so brake fluid will push past during a normal brake bleed. The module that allows the excess pressure on the brakes to be relieved for a few milliseconds will open when the ABS turns on, is basically bypassed. When you replace the ABS parts, thats when a scantool is needed to burp the air out of it. That's the sum up from my shop manual. I read that you can also force the ABS on (hard stops to lock things up) to help flush fluid through it if required.

I switched the calipers and re-bled the system and pedal feel is restored with some good braking. Had no idea that the calipers could be reversed. Learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the help everyone

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm
Profile ICQ
Forum Moderator

glad to hear everything is fixed

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]