View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 TPI in a boat 
CCFBG Club Member

Post TPI in a boat
Well I was thinking to swap my quadrajet carb to a tpi setup. I know my "canue" likes to rev high so I just wonder if tpi is a good call even that is a intake for low to mid rpm?

Anyone done that? Seen?

Tks

Wed May 18, 2011 4:01 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: TPI in a boat
Alex IROC Z-28 wrote:
Well I was thinking to swap my quadrajet carb to a tpi setup. I know my "canue" likes to rev high so I just wonder if tpi is a good call even that is a intake for low to mid rpm?

Anyone done that? Seen?

Tks

Not a good idea.

You need RPM's in a boat just as much as you do torque and horsepower. Now, if you said you wanna swap a holley stealth ram setup on there then by all means.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

Depends on a lot of thing what rpm does the boat run at cruise ?
EFI in a boat isn't as easy to do as in a car , if the boat has water cooled exhaust manifolds then you have issues with no good place for an O2 sensor .
LOts of little things to think about and look into .

Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Trying to get your boat to do this???????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQAKqoJLm_8

Thu May 19, 2011 8:16 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

lotsatas wrote:
Trying to get your boat to do this???????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQAKqoJLm_8

Put that in your Pontoon boat Paul :jacked

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Thu May 19, 2011 11:38 am
CCFBG Club Member

Let's say that I like to play with my tools n learn a bit more. I thought I was dropping my new motor on my canue tomorrow but when I pulled my drive out I discover a bad bearing on the transom so no motor in my canue lol

Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Alex IROC Z-28 wrote:

Anyone done that? Seen?

Tks

Not a good idea.

You need RPM's in a boat just as much as you do torque and horsepower. Now, if you said you wanna swap a holley stealth ram setup on there then by all means.

its possible and he can use the tpi set up. a company (i think K&N) sells the tpi air filter for marine use. now, he forgot to mention this motor is a 305 center bolt head (same type found on the 87 f-bodies). with the cam he has and some porting on that intake, we can rev a bit higher.

efh wrote:
Depends on a lot of thing what rpm does the boat run at cruise ?
EFI in a boat isn't as easy to do as in a car , if the boat has water cooled exhaust manifolds then you have issues with no good place for an O2 sensor .
LOts of little things to think about and look into .

about the oxygen sensors, he doesn't need! O2 sensors are just to help on regulating better the air/flue ratio.

ALSO, some people mention the fumes and gases that a marine engine can let escape(bc most of them are carburetor). In this case, the gasoline is being injected at the port and not at the start of the runner. And to mention, he has a fan that ventilates the engine compartment. for safety, he could connect that fan to a relay, and everytime he would turn the engine on, the fan would work.

any more questions? :popcorn

Thu May 19, 2011 11:22 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Alex IROC Z-28 wrote:
....but when I pulled my drive out

"but when we pulled the drive out.."

thank you :twisted:

Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 pm
Senior Forum User

Not sure why everyone seems to think that boat motors scream high rpm .Boat motor are basicly a truck motor on water most cruise at between 3000 and 4500 rpm well in the area that the TPI motor is happiest [best truck motor GM never put in a truck right Hawk :wink: ]
I wanted to know if what his cruise rpm was just to make sure his wasn't the exception .
If your seriously thinking about it then get a set of through the hull headers ,and pick a good camshaft so the you can properly run the EFI and go to it .
If your not going to put the headers on it be real careful with cam choice , water cooled exhaust can't handle too much overlap and revision in the exhaust , water tends to get sucked back into the motor rather than dumping into the lake .

Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 am
Forum Moderator

my boat never sees over 4300 rpm, but it is a big block, on my old 18ft with a smaller motor it never seen over 4500 rpm, according to the marina i go to, the boat max speed that you want is all depending on the pitch of the prop, and they recomended getting your best speed at 3900 to 4100, but not going over 4300 ever. but you also want to take into account your holeshot(aka getting the boat up onto plane).

Fri May 20, 2011 9:12 am
Senior Forum User

mikesz1984 wrote:
my boat never sees over 4300 rpm, but it is a big block, on my old 18ft with a smaller motor it never seen over 4500 rpm, according to the marina i go to, the boat max speed that you want is all depending on the pitch of the prop, and they recomended getting your best speed at 3900 to 4100, but not going over 4300 ever. but you also want to take into account your holeshot(aka getting the boat up onto plane).

Exactly prop design dictates the rpm a boat motor has to run just like a airplane Gypsy Major airplanes run [if I remember correct 2300 , if it ever hit 3000 things have already gone drasticlly wrong ]
Take the exhaust off your car run it under load at 3000 rpm for 1/2 an hour and see what it sounds like .

Fri May 20, 2011 9:57 am
CCFBG Club Member

ktuga wrote:
Alex IROC Z-28 wrote:
....but when I pulled my drive out

"but when we pulled the drive out.."

thank you :twisted:

Sorry you are wrong u were pulling and I was praying!!! :lol:

I have to teach you EVERYTHING OMG!!! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Sat May 21, 2011 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]