View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 clutch and flywheel 
CCFBG Club Member

Post clutch and flywheel
Hi guys do anyone know where I can take my clutch and flywheel and have them balanced ??
Thanks ..

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: clutch and flywheel
Might help to let us know where you live. that way we can get a shop close to you

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:16 am
CCFBG Club Member

I,m in the Georgetown Acton area ...

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:48 am
Senior Forum User

Why do you think they're not balanced now?

2004 Corvette vert (sold)
2007 Chev Avalanche, 6" lift (gone)
1970 Firebird project (sold)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:06 am
CCFBG Club Member

I installed a new clutch and had the stock flyweeh machined at the begining of the summer ...shortly after i started to notice a vibration at 2000 rpm ...
I don't know for sure its the clutch/flywheel but I have it narrowed to underdrive pulley or those two ...I was hoping when i removed the clutch/flywheel it would be obivous that they were the problem but it was hard to tell...but since I have it out I might as well as get it balance just in case.

Thanks,
Gary

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:16 pm
Senior Forum User

1997ss wrote:
I installed a new clutch and had the stock flyweeh machined at the begining of the summer ...shortly after i started to notice a vibration at 2000 rpm ...
I don't know for sure its the clutch/flywheel but I have it narrowed to underdrive pulley or those two ...I was hoping when i removed the clutch/flywheel it would be obivous that they were the problem but it was hard to tell...but since I have it out I might as well as get it balance just in case.

Thanks,
Gary

There is no way to check the balance on the flywheel off a one piece remain seal small block , because those engines are externally balanced on the flywheel end , so there is a great big balance wieght as part of the flywheel . They have to be mounted on the rotating assembly to be balanced .
Starting with the LT1 GM cheated on the balance , they made the harmonic balancer a 2 piece assembly so that if an engine had a vibration they could take the balancer apart and rotate it 30 degrees to try and cancel the vibration , they did the same with the clutch assembliy , you have 3 possible choices on how it goes together and one will be closer to being right than the other two .

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm
CCFBG Club Member

The LT1 flywheel will have a white mark on the bcak side near one of the pressure plate mounting bolts and the new pressure plate will have a paint mark which needs to be matched up to that. What brand underdrive are you running? The March ones require the original balancer to be bolted on in front of them.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Thanks for the info guys ...when I installed the clutch I did not match up any lines or marks ...I going out in the garage right now to see if i can find them ...
I have March underdrive pulleys ...
This vibration has been driving me crazy all summer ...you can rev the car up and once it hits 2000 rpm it vibrates ( the steering wheel shakes ) once your past 2000 rpm it seams to go away ...
Darrin or Hybrid was in my car and felt it ...any more info is greatly appreicated
Thanks Gary

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm
Senior Forum User

Eurodrive

1 (800) 263-5159

1254 Plains Rd East
Burlington‎ On
Canada

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 am
CCFBG Club Member

Answer this.

When you installed the flywheel, did you line up the pilot hole? You'll notice that on the flywheel there is 7 holes. 6 of them are for the flywheel bolts and 1 is for the alignment hole/dowl. A lot of people lose that dowel and end up just slapping the flywheel on anyway.

Make SURE that dowel/alignment hole is ligned up. Its a smaller hole and off pattern from the other 6 bolt holes and the crank will have the same exact matching pattern on it.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

I lined up the dowel pin hole ..but i did not see the white mark on the flywheel and the mark on the clutch pressure plate that I'm suppose to line up ..

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:01 pm
CCFBG Club Member

What clutch and flywheel would you guys recomend for a lt1 ( 340 rwhp ) I drive this car as much as I can in the summer ..basically a daily driver ...with a couple of times a year at the track ...
no balanceing required just bolt up and go ....

Thanks ..Gary ..

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 pm
CCFBG Club Member

RAM Powergrip worked great for me. The RAM HDX didn't last one launch on drag radials. With the LT1 pull style pressure plate there are only 2 options. Most cheap stock replacements use the LT1 and the better clutches come with the LT4 which has a bit more clamping force.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm
Operations Team

I ran the Ram HDX on my car when it was boltons and loved it, felt like stock with bit more clamping force. Doesnt like sticky tires at the track as mentioned by Flame i dusted mine after two outing to the track. I now run the Ram Powergrip with my h/c motor and im liking it so far. Competition Clutches also has had great reviews on there Stage 2 and 2+. Very smooth engagement without any on/off feel and takes most mild to medium h/c power. I run the Fidanza Aluminum flywheel and love it aswell.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Ive driven my fair share of cars with different clutches for these cars...and honest to god, my clutch I have in my car now is 5 years old...its got hundreds of passes on it. It's been beaten on every drive the car has been out on. Ive dumped the clutch from over 5k in 2nd gear from a dead stop more times then i can count. Burnouts, and so many launches on slicks I can't count and it still holds just as hard as it did the day it was first put in the car and i can even bark the tires going into 4th gear with ease.

This clutch has been attached to 4, yes, 4 different engines and 4 different flywheels and when I put it back in my car last year when i did my LT1 swap, it still looks like new!

SPEC 3.

Love it or hate it. Some people like it, others cant stand it. Yes, its a little on/off feeling, yes it chatters ever so slightly, but nothing bad. And you know what? I wouldnt trade it for the world. Eventually when it starts to go (nothing lasts forever right) I'll probably end up putting the exact same clutch back in. THATS how much I'll stand by the SPEC 3 clutch for LT1's.

LS1's are a different story. I wouldnt put a SPEC clutch in an LS1 car if my life depended on it.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next