View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Top end kit for LS motor suggestions 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Top end kit for LS motor suggestions
Does anyone have any top end kit suggestions for LS motors? Head/Cam package, etc.

Maybe a gain of about 75 hp to the rear wheels.

Thanks

Last edited by i1aroc on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 am
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Top end kit for LS motor suggestions
its all in what you want to use and what you prefer. Ive heard good things about AFR heads and MS4 cams but thats pretty costly

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Trick Flow has 3 different kits you can get them through Summit.

Here is the 515HP and 450Tq kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K306-515-460/

Texas Speed has bunch of different kits,you can custom make your own with their drop down menu.

http://www.texas-speed.com/default.aspx

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

6SIX6 wrote:
its all in what you want to use and what you prefer. Ive heard good things about AFR heads and MS4 cams but thats pretty costly

That MS4 cam sounds amazing. You are right about the cost for sure.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 pm
CCFBG Club Member

transamtom wrote:
Trick Flow has 3 different kits you can get them through Summit.

Here is the 515HP and 450Tq kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K306-515-460/

Texas Speed has bunch of different kits,you can custom make your own with their drop down menu.

http://www.texas-speed.com/default.aspx

Like those numbers. Lot of options to consider, thanks

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:48 pm
Senior Forum User

MS4 is pretty radical meaning lots of lope and bucking/surging will happen below 2500RPM or so. A real good tune might stave off some of that but its still a pretty hardcore cam. Try not to get lost on peak numbers unless you just want a drag machine.
As for heads? There is nothing on your whole build that is more important. Heres a John Lingenfelter quote on heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lingenfelter
The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power.

If you want the good stuff then id go for TFS 215 or maybe 225's and get them ported by Brian Tooley or go for some mamofied AFR 225's

If you want to keep costs down id aim for the Patriot stg2 LS6 heads or the Texas Speed stg 1/2 LS6 heads.

Cam wise im loving EPS these days. Call Geoff hes a cool dude and can help you select the right cam but id aim for something like this;

http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?act= ... oductId=10

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:50 am
CCFBG Club Member

cam wrote:
MS4 is pretty radical meaning lots of lope and bucking/surging will happen below 2500RPM or so. A real good tune might stave off some of that but its still a pretty hardcore cam. Try not to get lost on peak numbers unless you just want a drag machine.
As for heads? There is nothing on your whole build that is more important. Heres a John Lingenfelter quote on heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lingenfelter
The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power.

If you want the good stuff then id go for TFS 215 or maybe 225's and get them ported by Brian Tooley or go for some mamofied AFR 225's

If you want to keep costs down id aim for the Patriot stg2 LS6 heads or the Texas Speed stg 1/2 LS6 heads.

Cam wise im loving EPS these days. Call Geoff hes a cool dude and can help you select the right cam but id aim for something like this;

http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?act= ... oductId=10

Thanks, great info.

Just got a price on a used set of stock LS6 heads with 20k on them, which is the same kms on my current LS motor for 600

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Not sure what you have already, but you are going to need the accompanying mods to get the results you want.

Headers, intake, catback, injectors, fuel pump, etc. When people post up big numbers, they often forget all the little parts that go with it.

I should also mention what used to be reliable parts may now be shortlived. When I did my H/C it made 430 rwhp. The stock clutch lasted 2 days on street tires. The very first hard 2/3 shift gutted the center out of it. 8 weeks later I blew the 10 bolt and driveshaft into oblivion. When I do power mods now, I take all the parts and labour I can think of and add 30%.

I happen to like Mast heads, best of the best. They made 70 more hp than the TEA Trick Flow 245s with a slightly smaller cam.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Rampant wrote:
Not sure what you have already, but you are going to need the accompanying mods to get the results you want.

Headers, intake, catback, injectors, fuel pump, etc. When people post up big numbers, they often forget all the little parts that go with it.

I should also mention what used to be reliable parts may now be shortlived. When I did my H/C it made 430 rwhp. The stock clutch lasted 2 days on street tires. The very first hard 2/3 shift gutted the center out of it. 8 weeks later I blew the 10 bolt and driveshaft into oblivion. When I do power mods now, I take all the parts and labour I can think of and add 30%.

I happen to like Mast heads, best of the best. They made 70 more hp than the TEA Trick Flow 245s with a slightly smaller cam.

Have an LS6 clutch which will need to be upgraded to an LS7 unit. Stock injectors, Corvette regulator and 255 Walbro pump. Using a T56 currently with nascar 4" driveshaft and Ford 9" rear with 4.11's.

May need to beef up the T56 when swapping out the clutch.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 am
CCFBG Club Member

beef up the trans when it brakes as thats what I plan on doin when it happens. Metalhead puts his stock one thru hell everytime he drives it and has never had a issue

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:09 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I ended up going with the following:

Comp cam 230/230. 591/591. 115
LS6 243 heads
Spec clutch
Billit flywheel
Hi performance springs
Hardened pushrods
42# Injectors
Custom tune

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:35 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Thats a very small cam for an LS6. If you can if it's not to late, I would take Cam's advice and get a custom grind from EPS. They don't make a better cam or better lobes then those EPS designs these days IMHO, especially for an under the curve, street/strip monster.

Also, if the '243' are stock, get them ported before you slap them on. Also SPEC clutches on LS engines are very hit or miss. You'd be much better off with an OEM LS7 Clutch kit with an LS2 flywheel.

Good luck Tony, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Thats a very small cam for an LS6. If you can if it's not to late, I would take Cam's advice and get a custom grind from EPS. They don't make a better cam or better lobes then those EPS designs these days IMHO, especially for an under the curve, street/strip monster.

Also, if the '243' are stock, get them ported before you slap them on. Also SPEC clutches on LS engines are very hit or miss. You'd be much better off with an OEM LS7 Clutch kit with an LS2 flywheel.

Good luck Tony, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks man. I always appreciate the advise given.

After looking at the eps units, they were very tempting, but this was an off the shelf in stock cam I bought, and had specs just over the proven 224 most are getting it seems.

Looked at current quality reports of the SPEC unit and noticed that they had quality concerns about 10 years ago you are right, but quality has improved since.

I just want a little more power at this time and, at my age, can see it being a handful if I get carried away, lol

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Why does everyone go to such big injectors, all it does is make for a crappy idle trying to get the pulses low enough for idle. I made 705hp at the flywheel with 42s. They were at 90% though. I had 32s when I made 429 rwhp on my HC package in 2004. I used 38s in my 412ci LS2 that went 10.78@127, with 520 rwhp.

Anyway, you do not need that big of an injector for a HC motor.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Rampant wrote:
Why does everyone go to such big injectors, all it does is make for a crappy idle trying to get the pulses low enough for idle. I made 705hp at the flywheel with 42s. They were at 90% though. I had 32s when I made 429 rwhp on my HC package in 2004. I used 38s in my 412ci LS2 that went 10.78@127, with 520 rwhp.

Anyway, you do not need that big of an injector for a HC motor.

42's will be fine. I can get my 60's to idle fine and passed etest no prob

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next