View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Sway Bar Info 
Senior Forum User

Post Sway Bar Info
So i'm looking in replacing my stockers for newer and cleaner

While doing research on the different suspension manufactures i came to some conflicting info that i'd like cleared up if possible.

One. How in the hell is the Hotchkis package twice the price as the BMR or Spohn packages.

Two. BMR says there are cold formed because its better than heat formed
Spohn says theres are heat formed because than cold formed
Both claim the best elasticity
WTF!?!? O.o

Also through all the CCFBG experience pool... which do you guys like to run best

keep in mind i rather autocross than drag

Thanks!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Sway Bar Info
Stock sways are fine. Spend your money on tires. NittoR2's on stock third gen wheels and suspension will smoke a nicely set up car with regular "hi perf" street radials. Save the money from mods, put towards tires, and be safer all the while. Gaining everywhere
But if your really set on sway bars the factory 34-6mm front with wonderbar works great. Big rear pends on bushings. Poly bushing throughout the car does wonders too

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:36 pm
Senior Forum User

cam wrote:
Stock sways are fine. Spend your money on tires. NittoR2's on stock third gen wheels and suspension will smoke a nicely set up car with regular "hi perf" street radials. Save the money from mods, put towards tires, and be safer all the while. Gaining everywhere
But if your really set on sway bars the factory 34-6mm front with wonderbar works great. Big rear pends on bushings. Poly bushing throughout the car does wonders too

Ya i'm not too too concerned with replacing them right away. i know stocks on the IROC are better than most. It did take me 10 years to start looking into new ones after all lol
i was just wondering about all the conflicting information i'm reading and what it all means
i'm assuming that its, deep down, all the same and its just salesman mumbo jumbo to make you buy their product

I've read a lot of good things about them Nitto's though so i'll have to check it out..... i can only find them coming in an 18 though, though the Drag Rs seem to come in way more sizes

Its tough to buy tires full price when you usually get them for free

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Sway bars are tuning tools. Every car is different. Having the biggest front sway bar doesnt equate to better traction/handling. It all depends on the rest of the combo and weight/bias of the car. The best sway bar for drag racing is no sway bar..lol

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:08 am
Forum Moderator

I'v run both the BMR and the Spohn, couldnt tell a diference between them tbh, I could tell a difference over the stock, I had the stock 36mm combo ( Stock G92, i think it was 36mm, lol) on my 92, but my st0ck front was also bent, thats why I replaced it so........ and the other car was a coupe/Iroc clone so its sway bars suked to start with, lol

Tires do make a huge difference, I agree on that

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Have you upgraded the struts/shocks and springs? Without those sway bars won't help you.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:42 pm
Senior Forum User

flame wrote:
Have you upgraded the struts/shocks and springs? Without those sway bars won't help you.

shocks over the winter, springs already done

Well looks like it'll be some time before i think of upgrading these again... money better spent elsewhere

thanks guys!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]