View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Adjusting the Clutch Release Point 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Adjusting the Clutch Release Point
Alright guys. This is my dilemma. I'm installing a T-56 with spec 3 clutch & Fidanza flywheel into the IROC. I previously test drove this clutch in another car before purchase and immediately noticed that the release point was very close to the top. Practically no downward pedal travel in order to engage it. I am much more familiar and comfortable with having a release point that is a couple of inches off the floor, so I am endeavouring to find out how to do this. Given that it is a hydraulic clutch, it has been suggested to me that I shim the slave cylinder or install a more powerful master. Shimming the slave sounds like the way to go; the problem being that the tranny has to be out in order to do this. That makes adjusting the release point a very tedious process. So my question to you is: What is the best way to go about this? Is it even a reasonable or achievable idea? I've very quickly drawn a sketch of what I'm attempting to do. Apologies for the poor picture quality, but you get the idea..

So..questions/comments/concerns/criticisms?

2001 XJR - Summer Daily
1986 IROC - Under Construction
1993 Blazer - Winter Beater

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 am
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Adjusting the Clutch Release Point
Whay would the tranny have to be out to shim it? Id rather have it close to the top then at the bottom personally as the shifts will be faster and more travel to release it

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Just for easy access to the slave cylinder. I tried driving it with that high release point and absolutely hated it.

So..is it possible to change the release point by shimming it?

2001 XJR - Summer Daily

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Is this an LT1 pull style pressure plate and external slave cylinder?

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Its a LT1 style. I can get my slave in and out without issues from the engine bay. Did you do the hole for it or was it factory?

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm
CCFBG Club Member

6SIX6 wrote:
I can get my slave in and out without issues from the engine bay. Did you do the hole for it or was it factory?

Can't wait for the response(s) to that statement! :rotflol

*SLP Ram Air/K&N *SS hood vents *Deep tints *Alpine/MTX/Rockford Fosgate audio *LT1 fan override *Koni/BMR springs and sub frame connectors *Founders adjustable panhard/LCAs with relocations *Bi-Xenon 6000K HID conversion *Cross drilled rotors painted calipers *Ported polished and reworked LT1 *3" Flowmaster Thunder/Mechem tips *Hotchkiss cross brace

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

lol @ Knightrider.

It's an LT1 style. You can get the slave in and out, it just makes it more of a pain in the arse to test it. It was an auto car originally so everything has been cut for this setup.

Been done a tonne of research this week, looking at RAM adjustable hydraulic release bearings and adjustable clutch masters. But because it's external slave, would that really make it as simple as adjusting the pedal rod??

2001 XJR - Summer Daily

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 am
Senior Forum User

What pedals are you running..4th or 3rd gen?
I had the same issue and switched from the 3rd to 4th gen pedals as the lever ratios are slightly different. The 4th gen pedals make the master rod move less for the same pedal feel, so will engage at a (slightly) lower point.
I also made my master push rod adjustable...and it works great. I'm pretty sure I cut the stock rod down and welded a 1/4" bolt with the head cut off to it, then threaded the stock rod end, and added a jam nut. Works great and doesn't cost $250.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/trans ... e-4th.html

Check this out too..
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/trans ... lutch.html

Formerly 95 LT1 [LE2.2]/T56/4.11 9 Bolt..12.6@114MPH

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm
CCFBG Club Member

6speedIROC wrote:
What pedals are you running..4th or 3rd gen?
I had the same issue and switched from the 3rd to 4th gen pedals as the lever ratios are slightly different. The 4th gen pedals make the master rod move less for the same pedal feel, so will engage at a (slightly) lower point.
I also made my master push rod adjustable...and it works great. I'm pretty sure I cut the stock rod down and welded a 1/4" bolt with the head cut off to it, then threaded the stock rod end, and added a jam nut. Works great and doesn't cost $250.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/trans ... e-4th.html

Check this out too..
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/trans ... lutch.html

Thanks man. That's exactly what I needed

2001 XJR - Summer Daily

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 pm
CCFBG Club Member

You should have just asked me Dave, lol.

3rd gen pedals have more pedal travel then 4th gens. If youve ever seen a lt1 6-speed 4th gen, the clutch pedal actually sits closer to the floor then on a 3rd gen which uses a proper staggered pedal setup (clutch is higher/further out then brake, and brake is higher/further up then gas pedal, etc).

Anyways, you definitely dont want to take the tranny out, that makes your life harder not easier, and shimming the slave is not a good idea either. You can however make a new smaller "pushrod" for the slave cylinder or even modify the rod on the master cylinder to make it adjutable which will in turn bring the pedal closer to the floor.

Theres lots of ways to do this, and its a common "issue" when swapping in a T56 into a 3rd gen. 4th gen pedals will help but look stupid (IMHO).

I would either use an adjustable master cylinder or modify yours so the rod actuator on the master can be adjusted inward.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]