View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Super T-10 borg warner, Difficult shift. 
Senior Forum User

Post Super T-10 borg warner, Difficult shift.
hello people! Long time I have no tech questions, but here we go! My issue isssss

I have a super t-10 tranny with a brand new clutch and flywheel. If I remember correctly, I put in brand new 75-90 fluid. and I believe is was lucas fluid. The car shifts great going up the gears ( when cold ) Once the car has been driving for maybe 20-30 minutes and is now fully warmed up, the gears get more difficult to put into, up to the point where NO gears can be engaged at all.

If Im at a red light, put it in neutral. Then the light goes green, I can and HAVE gotten stuck, because It is impossible to put it into ANY gear at all. and yes, I did try to let go of the clutch a bit while sliding into gear, it made no difference at all.

This ONLY happens after the car is fully warmed up. I came across a few forums and read up that the fluids might be too thick.

I appreciate any input, thank you!!

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 am
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Super T-10 borg warner, Difficult shift.
Sounds like the clutch is dragging. Turn the engine off when it happens and if it slides into gear then you have a clutch disengagement issue.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 am
CCFBG Club Member

I would agree that the clutch is not fully releasing.

What is your clutch system - mechanical or hydraulic conversion?

Mechanical linkage should have approx 1" of free play at the top when you set it up.

Mine will change fro cold to warm.

If adjusting the clutch does not fix the problem pilot bearing might be dragging- will act like the clutch is dragging - again check if the transmission can be put in gear with engine off.

If you end up stuck at a light some times letting the car roll a bit will move the gear cluster to get it into gear.

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2
2002 Mazda Miata SE Top Down Fun

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Whitebandit wrote:
I would agree that the clutch is not fully releasing.

What is your clutch system - mechanical or hydraulic conversion?

Mechanical linkage should have approx 1" of free play at the top when you set it up.

Mine will change fro cold to warm.

If adjusting the clutch does not fix the problem pilot bearing might be dragging- will act like the clutch is dragging - again check if the transmission can be put in gear with engine off.

If you end up stuck at a light some times letting the car roll a bit will move the gear cluster to get it into gear.

+1

Clutch has to be dragging, or something is causing the clutch to stick. I had a diaphragm spring break off and lodge itself between the pressure plate and clutch disk on my old T5 swap. I thought the tranny took a dump but it was really just the clutch.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

Tnx guys.. and yea I think it might be the pilot bearing. My clutch linkage right now is adjusted almost all the way up to the highest point. ( when cold ) the clutch disengages within the first 1-2 inches of pushing down. and then the next 3-4 inches ( to the ground ) has no contact with the clutch.

Dam, this cant be good. I need a car this week to get to work :@

More info, my clutch, flywheel, pressure plate are all brand spankin new. As my my linkage, its a mechanical Z bar linkage

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 pm
CCFBG Club Member

DarkBlood wrote:
More info, my clutch, flywheel, pressure plate are all brand spankin new. As my my linkage, its a mechanical Z bar linkage

Didn't you convert the car from automatic to manual?

When you did the conversion did you check the run out of the bell housing to the crankshaft. If that is over 0.005" you need to use offset dowel pins to get it into spec.

Does the car creep if you sit at light in gear with the clutch pushed in?

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:29 pm
Senior Forum User

ouhh, no I did not check runout.. I didnt think of that.

On a second note, I pulled the rod out further today ( pushing the pedal upward more ) and went out for a drive.. I didnt have the shifter get stuck... I dont want to say this ( fixed ) the issue. because this might have been part of the issue. I will drive tomorow to work and back and I will let you guys know if its ok or not.

Thank you for the help people!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm
CCFBG Club Member

DarkBlood wrote:

On a second note, I pulled the rod out further today ( pushing the pedal upward more ) and went out for a drive.. I didnt have the shifter get stuck... I dont want to say this ( fixed ) the issue. because this might have been part of the issue. I will drive tomorow to work and back and I will let you guys know if its ok or not.

Gauranteed there just wasnt enough clutch pedal travel.

You gotta remember when the car warms up, clearances/tolerances change. I've seen weirder happen, like a bent clutch pedal not allowing enough travel.

Make sure your pedals and the support brackets havents bent. Also check your firewall support/adjuster. All that tension from the clutch cable and constantly stepping on the clutch can actually cause the firewall to flex and bend, which will change the amount of travel the clutch cable will actually put on the clutch fork. 3 inches of travel on the pedal might only be 1" total on the fork if things are wonky/bending/etc.

A lot of clutch cable operated cars require some sort of firewall brace/adjuster.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:29 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
DarkBlood wrote:

Gauranteed there just wasnt enough clutch pedal travel.

You gotta remember when the car warms up, clearances/tolerances change. I've seen weirder happen, like a bent clutch pedal not allowing enough travel.

Make sure your pedals and the support brackets havents bent. Also check your firewall support/adjuster. All that tension from the clutch cable and constantly stepping on the clutch can actually cause the firewall to flex and bend, which will change the amount of travel the clutch cable will actually put on the clutch fork. 3 inches of travel on the pedal might only be 1" total on the fork if things are wonky/bending/etc.

A lot of clutch cable operated cars require some sort of firewall brace/adjuster.

All good advice - just remember 2 gen linkage is rods and Z bar so no cable.

The clutch peddal will sit higher than the brake peddal. Sounds like the initial set up might have had the peddal to low. Be sure linkage is free for all of its travel. Did you remember to breeze. The Z bar?

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:55 am
Senior Forum User

Did I use febreeze on the z-bar ? yes, interior as well, it smells fabulous.

On another note, yes it looks like we were all correct on this one.. the linkage just wasnt setup all the way, I drove to work today and back ( stuck in traffic quite a bit too ) and no issues ( aside from second gear downshifting ) but I think thats a syncro issue because Im able to push it into any other gear after all that driving. :D

Thank you people! Im considering moving to a t-5 anyways, but for now this will do.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm
CCFBG Club Member

DarkBlood wrote:
Did I use febreeze on the z-bar ? yes, interior as well, it smells fabulous.

On another note, yes it looks like we were all correct on this one.. the linkage just wasnt setup all the way, I drove to work today and back ( stuck in traffic quite a bit too ) and no issues ( aside from second gear downshifting ) but I think thats a syncro issue because Im able to push it into any other gear after all that driving. :D

Thank you people! Im considering moving to a t-5 anyways, but for now this will do.

Dont bother with the T5. It will just grenade behind a 350, unless of course you never ever step on it.

11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

I never stomps, you know that XD. besides, this is my commuter for the highway. so that extra gear can help. we shall see if anything desccently priced comes along.

TNX PEOPLE!

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:37 pm
CCFBG Club Member

DarkBlood wrote:
I never stomps, you know that XD. besides, this is my commuter for the highway. so that extra gear can help. we shall see if anything desccently priced comes along.

TNX PEOPLE!

Talk to Ray, he has a T5 swap.

11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Jay,
Ill take Ray's T5 swap if you put it in for me..For a reasonable price of course..pm me if you're interested(or have time..I dont..lol)

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]