View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 97 trans am cooling fan removal 
CCFBG Club Member

Post 97 trans am cooling fan removal
I need to change the electric water pump in my ta. The cooling fans are in the way.to change the motor on it they need to be moved. Anyone know how

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 am
Operations Team

Post Re: 97 trans am cooling fan removal
Sucks your not a 6spd car as you could just pull the rad with it. You just have to disconnect the hoses and be very careful maneuvering it around the hoses and not break the tabs. Might have to drop it out the bottom.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Vetty wrote:
Sucks your not a 6spd car as you could just pull the rad with it. You just have to disconnect the hoses and be very careful maneuvering it around the hoses and not break the tabs. Might have to drop it out the bottom.

any way to remove the cooling fans without disconnecting the hoses or pulling the rad

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm
CCFBG Club Member

SLICKRIDE wrote:
Vetty wrote:

any way to remove the cooling fans without disconnecting the hoses or pulling the rad

Without pulling the rad yes, but i dont think its possible to pull the fans without disconnecting the hoses. Its pretty easy to take the hoses off the rad though so if thats your concern I wouldnt worry to much.

Unbolt the upper rad cover (the black plastic), drain the coolant from the drain-cock on the bottom of the rad into a clean pale so you can reuse the coolant later. Unclip the weatherproof harness plug from each fan and pop out the fan wiring harness retaining clips so theyre not attached to the fan anymore than pull the whole fan assembly straight up.

It looks worse than it is but its really not bad. The stock fan assembly sits in these notches on the rad, makes it very easy to remove and reinstall.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
SLICKRIDE wrote:
Vetty wrote:

Without pulling the rad yes, but i dont think its possible to pull the fans without disconnecting the hoses. Its pretty easy to take the hoses off the rad though so if thats your concern I wouldnt worry to much.

Unbolt the upper rad cover (the black plastic), drain the coolant from the drain-cock on the bottom of the rad into a clean pale so you can reuse the coolant later. Unclip the weatherproof harness plug from each fan and pop out the fan wiring harness retaining clips so theyre not attached to the fan anymore than pull the whole fan assembly straight up.

It looks worse than it is but its really not bad. The stock fan assembly sits in these notches on the rad, makes it very easy to remove and reinstall.

Pm sent

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:10 pm
CCFBG Club Member

If you undo all the clips on the wires holding them to other shit you can lift it out and lay it on the engine out of your way.

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

thanks to flame , vetty , metal head and trans am tom . I didn't notice or even think about the clips holding the wiring harness and the cooling fans plugs . I decided to tackle it . shes back up and running and doesn't heat up at all. thanks to those with some insight on the project. it helped for sure

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 pm
CCFBG Club Member

No prob,I have done 5 rads and find that to be the easiest way.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]