View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Jet Performance Stage 2 memcal pack 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Jet Performance Stage 2 memcal pack
Well, decided since performance improvements has had their nice sale on I would pick up a few bits n pieces. One being the Stage 2 performance chip from Jet Performance Products.

So anyhow, got the box, looked at the adapter, and its really weird. I wondered how I would fit it in the computer case inside the car. Disconnect battery and then proceed onto the next part, wheres the damn ECU??? After spending 20 minutes of pulling off various panels from the passenger dash of my car, I found all sorts of stupid things from the previous owner(lets not go there...)

So anyhow, after getting the ECU out from behind the dash, and contorting myself into a pretzel just to get under there comfortably, I have the ECU in my hands and its a neat piece of kit. I look at that and then compare that to todays computers and laugh, the whole box could probably fit in a 2"x2" pcb now a days...

Anyhow, I pull off the access cover as per the instructions, then I pull out the stock memcal pack(the big blue plastic housing for the chips).

Then I fit the calpack onto this jet performance adapter and then look at the instructions once again and then look at the size of the opening for the new larger and better than before memcal package with adapter on it and then look at the instructions again. It doesnt fit through that tiny opening. The access panel was simply to replace the memcal pack and that was it.

So after dissassembling the sheet metal casing for the computer and unbolting it from it's mounts, I get the new memcal adapter installed. Oh and pray to god I had it in the right way... Something the instructions do not point out is what direction the new chip setup goes in because there is no "stupid" tabs on the Jet adapter. So it's real easy to mess it up because with the cover off the computer board, you can put the pack in easily both ways and it will fit both ways without a problem...

So anyhow, after deductive reasoning, I figured out how to install the chip again, box it all up, then replace it up under the dash after its all put back together. Hook up all the connections, and then hook up the battery. Put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the ON position praying to god I really do have the computer in the right way and voila, computer reads OK. Thankfully...

So anyhow, after I have it all plugged in I then put the dash back together and go take it for a road test to relearn the computer.

I can't tell any difference in it, "seems" to be a little more responsive at higher RPMs and gets up to 160kph real easy, not like it didnt have the problem before but who knows, I certainly don't.

So anyhow, my rating on the instructions, as with any aftermarket part so far, is a big fat 0. Other than that, the actual chip, Im not sure, i'll have to test it later at the track when the transmission is fixed and let the numbers be the judge, perhaps it will net a better 1/4 mile or a better 60ft?

Total install time without knowing anything about replacing the calpack/finding the ECU: 1 hour 35 minutes

Now that I know how to install it: 20-25 minutes.

Total cost: $188 +taxes
Supposed HP gain: 18-23HP @ crank? or rw? That's left to be guessed...

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 pm
Profile ICQ
CCFBG Club Member

From what I have seen the aftermarket chips will be lucky to deliver anywhere close to the advertised gains either at the wheels or at the fly. You would be better off to have somebody burn you a prom to the specs of your car and dial it in that way

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:01 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I have to agree about that. But getting a custom PROM dialed in for my engine/mods would be like taking a stock chip out and putting it back in again with no changes. Only mods that I have are just the K&N, SLP cold air kit, SLP throttle body arfoil(if you can call it a mod) and just some good 101 octane gas. So if this chip is able to give me better gas mileage (say better than 225miles/tank) I'll be impressed with it.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:26 pm
Profile ICQ
CCFBG Co-Founder

from the ones that i hve read and compared there is almost no changes over the stock ones. a few small timing changes and a few temp changes and thats about it

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:29 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Put it on the G-tech and it actually slowed me down by 2-3 tenths in the 1/4 mile.

Waste of money and time to put it in. Paid about $200 for it and sold it for $50 on TGO.

LB9GTA

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]