View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 t-56 whining noise 
Junior Forum User

Post t-56 whining noise
i have got a t56 i just put in my third gen and it sounds like it has a power steering whine in all gears and it gets louder with speed...i used the proper gm tranny fluid and it is full.....any ideas??

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 pm
Senior Forum User

A whine like that could be a few things, did you install a new release bearing, is it intalled correctly on the clutch fork, could be input shaft bearings, a noise like that isn't a good thing on a syncro tranny if it's inside the gearbox, you will hear that on the munci 4 speed, and tranny's with straight cut gears. Does it do it all the time or just when the clutch is pressed in, if it only does it when it's pressed in then more than likely throw out bearing, if it does it all the time i would look at possibly input shaft bearing, or any bearing in the tranny, maybe something with the counter shaft.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am
CCFBG Club Member

i just put new bearings and syncro's in a t5 mustang last week and it sounds like it has a supercharger....the teeth on the input shaft and where they mate on the countershaft are trashed....he priced a countershaft from ford to the tune of 1300 bucks and discontinued...not that he would have got it anyways. but it had a ton of endplay in it, u could bad news inside.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]