View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Tires - tracking? 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Tires - tracking?
So I just swapped the firebird over to summer wheels......Noticed that the summer tires 'track' alot more.....the car really pulls itself into ruts/tracks in the road.....much more than when on winters.

I expect some of this with wider summer tires, and it doesn't bother me much.....but Christina hates it...and well, she wins....

We gotta get new summer tires in the next couple weeks anyway cuz these are worn....they are currently 245/50/16 OLD Kumho Ecsta's...The winters were 215/60/16(pirelli snowsport).....When we get new tires what can I do to minimize the tracking....as much as I hate to decrease the width, is that the best thing to do??? Or will just changing to a different(new) tire of another brand help enough??

Thanks guys

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:37 pm
Forum User

dont matter how new the tires are they are going to do the same thing its the width of the tire and the width of our cars.... my winters were great and ran perfectly straight but when i thru the summers back on.....man it was like night and day the car was all over the road on the hwy

Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 pm
Senior Forum User

Wide tires will hunt a bit regardless of brand but the difference between how severe or minor this is changes drastically from tire to tire. Typically tires that have a quick responding sidewall hunt and follow road grooves with more steering wheel feedback than a tire that has a softer sidewall will. I dont know what your budget is like but I can tell you the the GoodYear GSD3 is a quiet, smooth, and nice tracking tire. It does have great lateral grip once loaded but its a street tire not a track tire. The Micheline Pilot Sports also track very well but they are uber pricey. If you read the reviews on Tirerack they tend to offer up enough info about each tire and what they are good for and where they are lacking. But take them with a grain of salt and be discerning.

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 am
CCFBG Club Member

I'll keep that stuff in mind.....and try to find something with a soft sidewall. If anyone else has good experience with certain tires minimizing this please share.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 am
Forum Moderator

Dont forget also its spring, the frost in the ground is still heaving so the roads are worse now then they will be in another month or 2

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:44 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Mine was tracking bad as well and had it improved with a simple wheel allignment...

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm
Senior Forum User

My 97 Z28 ran 275/40/17 Firehawks and RA1s on the street. I did not have a tracking issue that I felt was a problem but I was running -2.5 camber and a hair toe out.

When did you last get an alignment? That could help some.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]