View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Body Shell Inspection 
Junior Forum User

Post Body Shell Inspection
Tomorrow, I will be looking at a 69 for a possible purchase. The rear of the car, (quarters, wheel housings, rear panel, deck filler panel, and full trunk floor) was removed. The front of the frame rails were left attached to the body. The panels are now installed and the rear of the body is now complete.

What would be some quick and simple checks to insure the body dimensions are still within specs? I would imagine with all of those pieces removed, there would have been a possibility of twisting, out of square issues, etc. It's a roller at the moment.

I thought of using a plumb to check for squareness. I know what the datum line measurements are but I'm not sure how to use them to detect twisting.

Thanks for any tips you can offer!

Larry

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Body Shell Inspection
You're in NM?

Don't know a whole lot about 1st gens but am working on a 70 2nd gen. If the doors and trunk lid are on you can check for even gaps around them. With that much taken off I would have expected them to weld bracing into the body shell before they started cutting. If they did and it's just a shell there should be evidence of welding some tubing inside the body.

2004 Corvette vert (sold)
2007 Chev Avalanche, 6" lift (gone)
1970 Firebird project (sold)

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]