View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Questions regarding fiberglass hoods 
Junior Forum User

Post Questions regarding fiberglass hoods
Hey all!
I recently ordered a fiberglass hood and had a few questions. I've heard that I should wait about a month before getting it painted. Is this correct? And does it make any difference if the car is generally stored inside and driven only a couple of times a week?

Anyone, especially those with aftermarket hoods, have a place (GTA) that they have had good experiences with for prepping/painting and installing fiberglass hoods? I have read that silver is a difficult colour to match. The paint on the car is in nice shape and it would suck if the new hood didn’t match well, especially since it’s such a large area!
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Questions regarding fiberglass hoods
The fibreglass should be cured and ready to paint.

Test fit the hood and make the necessary adjustments.

Have them sand the crappy factory primer off,make sure they(who ever does the work) gel coat it again, then sand it, prime it, then paint it.

Wed May 18, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Operations Team

I hope you didnt buy one of those cheap ones off of kijiji from that warehouse. If you did good luck on fitment as they are piss poor whether its firebird,camaro, or mustang so far ive heard nothing but pissed off customers.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Forum User

Yeah, I've heard horror stories about some ebay/kijiji hoods. I ended up buying the hood from vfnfiberglass when they had their sale last month. Hopefully it'll fit without too much problems.

Thanks for the info transamtom, it's good to know that I can get the hood painted right away instead of having to waste a month!

Can any of you guys recommend a body shop that can install/paint the hood in or around the Toronto area? The shop that painted my door awhile back did a great job of colour matching, however, it was out in Oshawa and it definitely isn't going to be easy for me to get the hood back up there.

Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 am
Senior Forum User

I think I've heard, don't remember from who, that you should bake the gel coat the comes on the hood in the sun before painting it. I think Ray told me that when he bought his 3" Harwood. Shoot him a PM.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 am
CCFBG Club Member

Yeah it had a sticker on it to leave it that way for 30days or more. its so the gel coal can fade and settle into the hood itself.

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Thu May 19, 2011 7:30 am
CCFBG Club Member

No paint problems with mine, my hood sat for about 6 months before painting 5 years ago...if you have a cowl style like mine see if you can reinforce the rear edge where the cowl turns upward, mine has small fractures showing up in the paint. L&M Auto Body in Barrie did mine, they do alot of custom and fiberglass work...he's a big F-Body fan
My hood fit really good but still had to mess a bit with the fenders, head light covers and the edge of the bumper to get it just right, I got mine from ASCD.
You said silver was hard to match but the painter will have to blend the paint onto your fenders and possibly the bumper no matter what colour is being sprayed..

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Thu May 19, 2011 11:47 am
Junior Forum User

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I ended up calling vfn again and they said that its best to have it installed and then drive around with it for 30 days before painting it to allow it to cure. Either that or try and find a shop that has an oven. Its gonna suck to have to drive around with an unpainted hood for awhile :?

Fowl Play, the hood I ordered is also a cowl style so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I find a shop to put it together. L&M Auto Body sounds good, especially if he's an F-Body fan, but its quite a bit aways from me. However, if I don't find a place locally, I'll give him a shout.

Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I still have to get mine cut as well and pained. Let me know if you find a place as Ive been looking but found no place yet that I trust or can do it

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm
Junior Forum User

I'll definitely let you now if I manage to find a place 6SIX6.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm
CCFBG Club Member

silverlt1 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I ended up calling vfn again and they said that its best to have it installed and then drive around with it for 30 days before painting it to allow it to cure. Either that or try and find a shop that has an oven. Its gonna suck to have to drive around with an unpainted hood for awhile :?

Fowl Play, the hood I ordered is also a cowl style so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I find a shop to put it together. L&M Auto Body sounds good, especially if he's an F-Body fan, but its quite a bit aways from me. However, if I don't find a place locally, I'll give him a shout.

Wouldn't that allow contaminents to get into the fibreglass?

I would leave it in the garage.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Forum User

That would suck to have to leave the car in the garage now that the weather is good. I was under the impression when I got off the phone with vfn that driving it would be ok and probably would speed up the process a bit.

Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]