View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 2 loose wires under dash, car will not start 
Junior Forum User

Post 2 loose wires under dash, car will not start
Hey everyone... I'll try and keep this short. I'm having some electrical problems and I'm at a point where I have no idea what to do next. Today is good Friday and nothing is open... its beautiful out and Im stuck at home! 1985 Z28, T5 with a swapped in 350 motor.

Yesterday I broke the connection from the clutch rod to the actual petal while I was out driving... no big deal it was only a plastic tab and a metal clip. It was hard and took a while to get it together because of the lack of space but I got it enough where I thought I could drive home. The vehicle did not start. I MUST have knocked something else loose during the time I was fighting the clutch petal. This morning I get out to take a better look and notice TWO wires that are not connected to anything. After playing around with the clutch safety switch still nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? These wires must be the culprit, or in combination with the satefy switch maybe. There was also a male spade connector that was plugged into the fuse box, either the BAT or IGN slot (I do not recall which). I have taped it to the black wire, but have not done anything with it. It looks as if the black wire (marked red) on the left is a GROUND wire attached to a bolt head, and the wire that I marked blue dissapears into the firewall. Can someone please help me? Id love to get this fixed today and driving on this nice day! Here are some pictures.

Thanks alot... Im really stumped :help:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 am
Forum Moderator

Post Re: 2 loose wires under dash, car will not start
that is a difficult one as both of those wires dont appear to be from the factory . is the car turning over at all or just will not start. the wire with the spade terminal is it the one that is grounded to the bolt. Also is the car an original 5 speed car or was it converted.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:21 pm
Junior Forum User

The car does not turn over at all... I turn the key and the radio looses some power, but the interior lights stay strong. The wire with the spade is the one grounded to the bolt, but the spade may or may not have been attached to it before I removed the cover and was playing around with the petal issue. The car is a factory 5-speed

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm
Forum Moderator

if it doesnt turn over at all it sounds like the safety switch(i know you checked it), everything else would let it turn over, but not start. did you check to see if any wires go to the safety switch, maybe the wiring harness was damaged there. can you take a picture of the safety switch and post it.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:13 pm
Junior Forum User

That could be possible... does the safety have to be bolted tight? The switch seems to be held on place with one bolt, and it swings slightly back and forth (in the direction of the clutch petal). Or is this needed as slack for when you depress the clutch so things do not get pulled/damaged? When the petal was not attached it was swinging freely, maybe when I first stepped on it I pulled it loose? Here's a picture... in that case how would I bypass the switch to see it thats the problem? Those 2 wires just have me wondering though... I just don't know how they wired this vehicle after the build.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:52 pm
Junior Forum User

Just got back from a good 30 minute cruise!!! After removing the clutch safety that I posted above, I did the best I could cleaning it and made sure the connections were in good shape. The car started after I held the safety in place with my hand, depressed the clutch and turned the key. I must have knocked it loose playing with the clutch petal. I have to wait until tomorrow to buy some better fasteners for both the problems. All in all those 2 wires seem useless that I have noticed so far. Thanks for the help mikesz1984, I'm glad it is a simple fix and not an electrical problem the previous owner had tried to patch.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:55 pm
Forum Moderator

glad to hear you got it fixed up, as for the wires i am not sure what they are for, but keep an eye on your gauges for a bit just to make sure they didnt hard wire the electric fan or something crazy like that.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]