View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Strip or Paint over the Undercoating? HELP. 
Forum Moderator

Post Strip or Paint over the Undercoating? HELP.
I have some Duplicolor Bed Liner and POR 15 I was going to coat the underside of The Project.

I was wondering if I have to strip the undercoating before I apply the Bed Liner/POR or can I just paint over.

If I need to strip, which is the best way? I have heard either kerosine and a scrub pad or a 4" wire wheel (LOTS of mess).

Any help is appreciated.

Saw a few guys on TGO who stripped the underside down to the bare metal, it looks great but seems like overkill (could be wrong).

How the underside looked today. (need to clean the paint the torq arm)

Just rolling with the dog pound...

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Strip or Paint over the Undercoating? HELP.
I say leave the undercoating as its doing its job and keeping it clean. Clean up the surface rust areas and redo the coating there and call it aday. I redid the inner wheel wells the other day on mine and just went over what was there.

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 am
CCFBG Club Member

Bill to apply either of your coatings you are going to have to a lot of surface prep.

POR needs to be down to bare metal. The bed linner will need to be applied over paint not the undercoating.

My son said at his shop they have used a chemical specifically made to strip undercoat. It works great but any proces used will be a huge mess.

Also Rob asked if you were going to take all of your lines - fuel and brake - off so you could do an even job You would everthing out of the way to spray bed linner

If you can get the few problem areas to bare metal and coat them with POR then add a fresh coat of undercoat you should be good.

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2
2002 Mazda Miata SE Top Down Fun

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:37 am
Forum Moderator

Whitebandit wrote:
Bill to apply either of your coatings you are going to have to a lot of surface prep.

POR needs to be down to bare metal. The bed linner will need to be applied over paint not the undercoating.

My son said at his shop they have used a chemical specifically made to strip undercoat. It works great but any proces used will be a huge mess.

Also Rob asked if you were going to take all of your lines - fuel and brake - off so you could do an even job You would everthing out of the way to spray bed linner

If you can get the few problem areas to bare metal and coat them with POR then add a fresh coat of undercoat you should be good.

I have all new Stainless Steel fuel and brake lines, new sway bars and end links so no problem removing almost everything under the car.

I have the metal clean and metal prep for the POR.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm
Forum Moderator

6SIX6 wrote:
I say leave the undercoating as its doing its job and keeping it clean. Clean up the surface rust areas and redo the coating there and call it aday. I redid the inner wheel wells the other day on mine and just went over what was there.

I have half the people saying the same thing and the other half that have totally stripped their car down to bare metal and reapplied new liner. Twin Turbo on TGO was my inspiration with his TA resto.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/membe ... ost5202073

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 pm
CCFBG Club Member

If you wanna strip it down go ahead but it doesnt seem to be a point to me as in no one will see under the car. Just my 2 cents tho

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]