Re: Back in a Formula Again
Pleased she's all back together and running again!
After having everything apart and checking to ensure the block and heads were true I made the decision to go to a slightly thinner head gasket to tighten the quench up some.
Here is where the final result wound up.
Not a drastic difference, but the extra compression seems to have deepened the tone of the motor some which I'm not disappointed about!
During re-assembly I popped for some nice thick Summit brand copper header gaskets which seem to have finally sealed the headers up. The gaskets that came with the headers were complete garbage and leaked pretty much immediately. I replaced those with some generic FelPro that the parts store at the corner happened to have in stock at the time which also leaked after a very short period of time too. The leak from the FelPro's wasn't horrible so I just lived with it for the summer. Hoping that issue is finally resolved!
So, given that I have at least another month or more before being able to drive it again and touch up the tune, I've decided to tackle another nagging issue once and for all........time to upgrade to a 3 wire heated o2 sensor!
I shouldn't really say its been a nagging issue. I had my tune dialed in well enough that it never caused any driveability issues, but any time I would start the car it would never go into closed loop until the car was driven for several minutes (sitting idling it would never go closed loop no matter how long it sat idling). On cooler days in the spring & fall, or when leaving for work early in the morning, coming to a stoplight and idling for a couple minutes would also result in the o2 sensor cooling off and car going back to open loop. While it didn't cause any driveability issues, I'm certain the fuel economy will improve if the car can be made to go into closed loop quickly and stay there, and I'm also looking ahead to the summer of 2018 when the car will need an emission test again. The last time it was tested it just barely squeaked by the idle limits (likely due to being in open loop), but breezed through the 2500 rpm part of the test (as it would have gone into closed loop at that point). I'm actually pretty interested to see what sort of drivability improvements come from upgrading to something a little more modern (if any), as the car did drive quite well to begin with. Parts should be arriving this week for this upgrade!