View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Back in a Formula Again 
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Back in a Formula Again
I already pretty much knew what I was going to find when I cut the old filter apart this morning given the drastic change in oil pressure I observed, however, suspicion confirmed. I noted a very thin film of that gray pasty stuff you get when breaking in a new motor covering most of the filter media...…..filter plugged.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 am
Senior Forum User

Now that the new motor is all sorted out I went out with Track Addict this afternoon to see how it stood vs the old motor.

Given how much nicer to drive & more civilized this motor is, I'm very pleased to find out that its actually quicker too!

Image2018-09-12_01-52-22 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Not sure why the 330' stats didn't show up......they were 6.06 @ 64.5 MPH.

Click on image for video

Image20180912-131348 Drag Run - Quarter Mile - 13.823 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Note that I've modified the tach to show distance travelled rather than RPM.

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm
Senior Forum User

auto_god wrote:

That is the cleanest this car has ever tested!! I'm pleased all of my hard work building the new motor, putting it in the car and tuning it achieved what it was supposed to! Very happy I get to drive my baby for 2 more years now (maybe they'll scrap the etest in the meantime!)

Well seems I called that one!

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ ... rive-clean

A little annoyed at all the work and expense I had to go through in order to pass only to have the program scrapped, but on the upside I would expect that classic cars in the 1988 to 1996 timeframe will become more desirable now that the owners won't have to deal with emission testing anymore.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 am
Forum User

I know. Never saw it coming. Glad that they decided to scrap it.

auto_god wrote:
auto_god wrote:

That is the cleanest this car has ever tested!! I'm pleased all of my hard work building the new motor, putting it in the car and tuning it achieved what it was supposed to! Very happy I get to drive my baby for 2 more years now (maybe they'll scrap the etest in the meantime!)

Well seems I called that one!

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ ... rive-clean

A little annoyed at all the work and expense I had to go through in order to pass only to have the program scrapped, but on the upside I would expect that classic cars in the 1988 to 1996 timeframe will become more desirable now that the owners won't have to deal with emission testing anymore.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm
Senior Forum User

auto_god wrote:
Corp Z wrote:
This thread is still solid gold. Sadly theres no one left to see it. Cant wait to see the rest

I suspect that there are still a lot of lurkers as the views of this thread are currently in excess of 55,000.

Now up to 63,000 views.....clearly there are lots of people on here still, sadly none of them care to post anything!

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 am
Senior Forum User

Given that the amount of time I've been able to be out enjoying the car has diminished to almost nothing, I've been spending some free time here and there working on bringing the original engine back to life.

Image247C3796-14BC-4392-8DD2-5DDB7EC34D28 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

New cam bearings installed and the original L98 cam is back in her original home.

Image24CB30AB-37D4-4677-BBFA-E601CD5D2ECD by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

New main bearing installed and the crank set back in place.

Brand new oil pump to replace the one that started the whole issue to begin with.

Should have a new rear main seal installed tonight......then its time to start file fitting rings. I hate that part! Lol!

Hopefully within a week or so of fiddling around in the evenings the bottom end should be bolted up and ready to........sit on my engine stand standing by just in case.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:17 pm
Senior Forum User

One bank with all the pistons back in their original homes equipped with new rings and rod bearings/

Image2018-11-09_03-05-28 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

If I get ambitious perhaps the other bank will get done this weekend.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:08 pm
Senior Forum User

After getting sidetracked for quite awhile , last night I finally got back at my project of resurrecting the original L98.

Short block is fully assembled and ready to go...….almost.

ImageCD2CFDAA-0297-4DBF-A774-E1B629DC3453 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Despite my usual bagging and tagging of fasteners when I take things apart I managed to lose one timing cover bolt! Oh well......I'll pick up a new set today.

Image3D95F2C7-CB3B-4B16-9E90-36D5A6C73921 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Five more lifters to take apart, clean, reassemble & I'm ready for cylinder heads.

Image4ACCD55C-CD9E-49FC-A92D-536C36814A1D by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

On the question of the cylinder heads though, I'm trying to decide whether to leave them in their original form, or give them a mild port/clean up job before installing them. Given that the rest of the engine has been returned to original, I'm leaning towards leaving them original as well just with a clean/paint job, new seals etc.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:43 am
Senior Forum User

Woohoo! The first shakedown cruise of the year is always so enjoyable!

ImageE5848A97-8D0E-4AC6-89E7-535D6CF6D116 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

I was pretty happy it cranked up first turn of the key, warmed up and drove absolutely perfectly for the entire trip. I had basically just pulled the cover over it last November and not done anything to it until I fired it up this morning (other than leaving the trickle charger on).

Hopefully this spring is less eventful than last spring was (a fuel pump failure followed by an engine swap!) I`d be quite content to just be able to just enjoy it this year.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 pm
Senior Forum User

Finally got some time to get back at the OE L98 engine yesterday after a couple months of distractions.

Imagereceived_438288866986026 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Spent a few hours getting 1 cylinder head back into serviceable condition again. Absolutely everything was thoroughly cleaned & is now new looking again. I can't tell you how much it pained me to look at the awful ports on these heads and put them back together as is! But this is a project of putting things back to original so no porting going on here (that and I really didn't want to invest the 20-30 hours of grinding into a set of heads that are likely going to just sit on my engine stand for the foreseeable future).

1 head down, 1 to go.

Also pleased to report that the new engine that is in the car currently is running flawlessly.....couldn't be happier with it.

74,000+ views

Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 am
Senior Forum User

Since getting the car out this spring its been quite obvious that the alignment was not right. While it seemed to drive straight, the directional stability was not there requiring me to be constantly making corrections going down the road. Driving the car I'd have put pretty good money on having a toe out condition.

I decided to do something about it this week and ordered a set of Longacre toe plates which arrived last night. I immediately put them to use!

ImageLongacre Toe Plates by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Much to my surprise the LF had some fairly significant toe in! It literally took maybe 10 mins to adjust the toe back out to where it needed to be. After going for a quick test drive, it seemed to be off VERY slightly, so once I returned home I put the plates back in place and found that after the suspension had settled etc from driving I needed to back the adjustment I had just made off ever so slightly. After making that adjustment and going out for a second road test, I now have a centered steering wheel with good directional stability again.

All totalled including road tests, it might have consumed at most an hour of my time to straighten things out, so I'm quite pleased with my purchase of my toe plates. I suspect they will be one of those tools that gets used over and over again through the years...….I've already discovered that my daughters car needs a correction!

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:24 am
Senior Forum User

Also did my customary spring pass with Track Addict to ensure she's running healthy and seems it's running better than ever.

Imageshare by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

That pass was actually done before I corrected the alignment in the post above......now I'm wondering if the performance may be even better now that it isn't dragging the LF wheel along sideways!!

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:01 am
Senior Forum User

Finally got some time to get the 2nd of the OE heads ready to go.

Image25491548-E370-41D4-B42C-825479613B01 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Original engine is getting closer to being complete.

ImageF67BFA4E-F06B-417F-96E3-C488BCB81A3F by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:58 am
Senior Forum User

auto_god wrote:

That pass was actually done before I corrected the alignment in the post above......now I'm wondering if the performance may be even better now that it isn't dragging the LF wheel along sideways!!

Well I decided to test that thought last week!

Image20190929_0629595655658331119426402 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

While the E.T. was a fail due to the driver killing the tires at the launch, what really caught my attention was the MPH!

The fastest this motor has ever gone previously was 101 mph, so 102.7 represents a pretty significant improvement & would lead me to believe that if the driver were to get his act together the car could feasibly do a 13.5X.

Sometimes performance hides where you would never think to look for it apparently!

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:53 am
Forum User

Any updates on your car?

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next