View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Project Poncho 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Project Poncho
Well it has officially begun. I now have a complete car....almost.... :)
I picked up my 1976 Trans Am 2 years ago, basically a rolling shell.
]
The original owner was an undercoater so the car had tons of the stuff to remove. Other than a couple of holes in the front floor area, the car is real solid. I started to refinish the under carriage.
Anyhow I just recently picked up a running Pontiac 400 w/ TH350 tranny
Now I am looking at having the block cleaned up, bored .40 over. Just in the process of dismantling it...The block looks pretty good to me, there isn't any scoring in the cylinders and other than some carbon on the top of the pistons, everything looks clean...

I hope to have this car on the road by next summer, if everything goes to plan. I want the car to be a good street car, but be able to have a little fun at the track as well. I will keep you posted....

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Last edited by Kevs87TA on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 am
CCFBG Club Member

Nice car man and loks clean as well. Good luck with the build

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:03 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 pm
CCFBG Club Member

about time you got off the couch :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 pm
Senior Forum User

Be sure to have the short-block zero-decked if going to machine shop.

Seat rails OK? Or was the previous owner 300lbs.? :D

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Project Poncho
So 4 years later, the TA has remained up on blocks until last week. Reason for the delay on this project is time, family, money and having more than one car. Last two years we rebuilt our 1990 GTA. Now I had to move the cars around in the garage, so I have reinstalled the rear suspension and got the car cleaned out of all the parts that were sitting in it all these years. The interior has been stored in the basement and I have already contacted my interior guy to start the design process. My next step is to dismantle the entire front end and clean all the rust and grease from the suspension, remove and replace all steering components and replace all the bushings with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension. The engine is disassembled and will be rebuilt with stock components with a head and cam package and Edelbrock intake and Holley carb. I have new floor pans for the car and and the red interior plastics will be redyed red. Even though the car has been sitting for over 4 years, I have new parts ready to be installed, like front coils, calipers, windshield, rims, control arm bushings, subframe body mount bushings, traction bars etc...I will be using Auto_gods technique in removing all the grease and rust off of the control arms, tie rod links and thatever else is going to be repainted. One question I have, will it hurt any rubber bushings? Anyhow, I think that the time has come to start seeing this project move forward, besides, my wife hates seeing cars up on jackstands, you can imagine how she feels about seeing it for the last 4 years...lol
Here is a link to the pics taken the other day...
http://1drv.ms/16G9KHt

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Last edited by Kevs87TA on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:02 pm
Forum Moderator

Ah yes,never ending project...I can relate :lol:

Looks good so far.

Just rolling with the dog pound...

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 pm
CCFBG Club Member

LOL, I think anyone that owns an old car can relate. I am hoping on getting the suspension done before spring as well as the interior. This car will be a drivers car, no major customizing on this one, just replacing worn out parts with upgraded parts....The only think I would like to do is put in a disc rear end in with 3.42's, but I can do that at a later date, unless something comes along...

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:52 pm
Senior Forum User

Wow....4 years! You're a patient man!

I've only had my project since July & its driving me crazy waiting to be able to drive it!

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:30 pm
Forum Moderator

Glad to see you getting around to it again. I am looking forward to see this come together

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:00 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Yeah, it's actually been 6 years, but as I said, I have more than one car, so I have lots to occupy my time :D .
The car car actually has a cool history. I called the second owner of the car, who happens to be local to this area. I bought the car off of a young guy that thought it would be a great idea to turn this car into a drag car with a chev motor. He had sold off the original engine and tranny and then put the car in a barn for storage. This is how it sat for years. When I happen to see the ad in the triad newspaper, it turned out he lived around the corner from me. I picked up the car after Lotsatas (Paul) and I went to look at it. Inside there was a hole lot of invoices and receipts. I found the original dealers invoice as well as the factory spec sheets. Pretty cool find...anyhow, I looked up the name that I found on one of the receipts and found out he lived in St.Clements. I looked him up and called him. He was very surprised when I told him that I now had the car. He told me that his wife, before he knew her, worked at the head office of NCR in Dayton Ohio where she dated a guy from Mexico. They bought the car in Dayton brand new. Things happened and the guy moved back to Mexico, taking the car with him. The woman came back to Canada and met her future husband. They married in 1980 and sometime later, the guy came home from work to find this Trans Am sitting in his driveway. It was a wedding gift to them from the guy in Mexico. I even have the documentation from when it was brought across the border and registered here in Canada. It has 95000 original miles on it. It was originally a 400 with a 350TH. I have a 1975 400 and 350TH that I picked up from a guy in Hamilton. So I have everything I need to put it back together now...just have to get at it... :? :roll:

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:12 am
CCFBG Club Member

Good Luck with the build Kev...you're going to become the new "Lotsatas" before you know it :D
Happy new year to you and Laurie from us northerners!

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:18 am
CCFBG Club Member

Thanks Keith,
Well I definitely have more Birds than Paul now lol...
Happy New Years to you and Deb...

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:52 pm
CCFBG Club Member

So I had a couple of parts arrive today...
3.08 posi disc brake rear end with a Summit Racing adjustable proportioning valve and a Hurricane aluminum intake manifold.
Been too cold to be out in my garage, hopefully I can get started on the car in the next couple of weeks...

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]