View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 my LT1 build for the SS *updated pics* 
Senior Forum User

Post Re: my LT1 build for the SS *updated pics*
sh8kin wrote:
I called them back to clairfy what was being done and why they are still able to use the old pistons. from what the machinist said, the cylinder walls were still good but some where not completely straight so he has to hone the cylinders, not actually bore to a "bigger". the rings he is replacing is because of the wear on the old originals that over type have become weak. the pistons and connecting rods where still good enough to use since i am on a little bit of a budget, i did search on engines before i made my decidsion on getting a short block for a cheaper price but i came up empty without going way over what i wanted to spend. i don't know where you guys can find fully forged LT1 for that price, thats like find a pot of gold ;) all i have come up with is 2500- 5500 fully built bottom ends.

I don't know where people come up with some of the low prices that they think they can buy stuff for , good luck on finding forged parts that are any good for $1000.00 :roll:

Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 am
Forum Moderator

sh8kin wrote:
I called them back to clairfy what was being done and why they are still able to use the old pistons. from what the machinist said, the cylinder walls were still good but some where not completely straight so he has to hone the cylinders, not actually bore to a "bigger". the rings he is replacing is because of the wear on the old originals that over time have become weak. the pistons and connecting rods where still good enough to use since i am on a little bit of a budget, i did search on engines before i made my decidsion on getting a short block for a cheaper price but i came up empty without going way over what i wanted to spend. i don't know where you guys can find fully forged LT1 for that price, thats like find a pot of gold ;) all i have come up with is 2500- 5500 fully built bottom ends.

that makes more sense, so basically all he is doing is deglazing the walls. There is nothing wrong with this, it is a good way to save a bit of money if the block is in good shape, also it saves the block for later use if you need to bore to an oversize at a later date.

Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 pm
Senior Forum User

efh wrote:
sh8kin wrote:
I called them back to clairfy what was being done and why they are still able to use the old pistons. from what the machinist said, the cylinder walls were still good but some where not completely straight so he has to hone the cylinders, not actually bore to a "bigger". the rings he is replacing is because of the wear on the old originals that over type have become weak. the pistons and connecting rods where still good enough to use since i am on a little bit of a budget, i did search on engines before i made my decidsion on getting a short block for a cheaper price but i came up empty without going way over what i wanted to spend. i don't know where you guys can find fully forged LT1 for that price, thats like find a pot of gold ;) all i have come up with is 2500- 5500 fully built bottom ends.

I don't know where people come up with some of the low prices that they think they can buy stuff for , good luck on finding forged parts that are any good for $1000.00 :roll:

The fact that you people think our cars are worth gold is a joke. Go to the states. The sell all the time for 1000 bucks. You can find complete lt1s here in the gta for 200ish. They are nothing special.

after searching for all of 30 seconds i found a couple.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/engin ... 383-a.html

Fully forged lt1 383 short block 1000$ brand new.

anyways sorry to jack your thread. I just don't want to see you waste your money. For the most part I'd only trust advice for a hand full of people on here about lt1s.

Fri May 06, 2011 12:32 pm
Forum User

no i appreciate the advise i just thought i would save a bit by just "freshing" the block without going nuts and building/buying a complete forged rebuild. i think for the amount of work being put in from the shop im getting a reasonable deal, i could have gone either way but for the price i budgeted for i think i will be alright and happy with it for a few yrs to come.

this is why i love coming to sites like this one to get expert hands on LT1 info, ask first then throw your money where your supposed to ;)

2006 TBSS (white rocket beater)

Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 pm
CCFBG Club Member

sh8kin if you want to hear a story about buying a used motor shoot me a pm

Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm
Operations Team

You can find sick deals down south but as flame said you can get burnt. We both did o our motors but even still it can be worth it. I spent 1200 on a forged 355 with 4k miles. Had about 3 grand worth of goodies In it. But I still decided to tear it down and luckily I did to fnd a lot of bad. Still came out ahead but just saying a deal on a engine isn't always a deal. Imo you should just get the refresh done. Your build isn't very crazy and will be fine aslong as its put together right ad quality parts are used.

Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

userchemical wrote:

Guess you don't know much about lt1s

i know enough that there is some cobbled up shit for sale out there...

i know that lt1's are getting dumped cheap, and know why.

hows the warranty if he buys the $1000 engine compared to a local reputable build?

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm
Senior Forum User

Mr Bastard wrote:
userchemical wrote:

Guess you don't know much about lt1s

i know enough that there is some cobbled up shit for sale out there...

i know that lt1's are getting dumped cheap, and know why.

hows the warranty if he buys the $1000 engine compared to a local reputable build?

Yeah I've had a few people bring those great deals into my shop the last little while , after they found out that they had been screwed , told the one guy to get it out of the shop before anyone made the mistake of thinking that I had anything to do with it . Way too much junk out there

Fri May 06, 2011 8:41 pm
Forum User

got the engine back today it was painted poorly so i decided to have at it, needed it to stand out more in the motor area so i painted chevy orange :)

the engine bay all cleaned up and ready to go

cam installed

Tue May 10, 2011 8:17 pm
Operations Team

looking good man

Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

PLEASEEEE clean off the over spray from the deck surface of the block before you put the head gaskets on and bolt the heads onto it.

Laquer thinner works great for this poured onto a rag.

Looks good man.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Tue May 10, 2011 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

LOL! dont worry i was saying the same thing yesterday thats why i havent gone any further ;) tonight im putting the heads on and hopefully getting as far as measuring my pushrods

Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 am
Forum User

Any tricks to measuring pushrod lengths?

Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 am
Senior Forum User

It's handy to have a couple of light springs and an adjustable pushrod , but you can get away without .
You do need a couple of solid lifters [ you can make then out of an old pair of lifters , just take them apart and stack washers up inside the body until you can just get the cup and the snap ring back in ] Start with a stock pushrod, put magic marker on the tip of the valve , set the rocker at zero lash, roll the motor throuugh atleast one complete valve cycle and then check the rub pattern on the valve , it should be centred too close to the intake side , you need longer pushrods , too close to the exhaust you need shorter [or if it's the bastards motor you need both :lol: ]

Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 am
Forum User

Got it, they are 7.150" i thought they would be that.
another question Roller rocker adjustments with the set screws once i have the pushrod with a little bit of slack off the lifter and rocker, tighten 1 full turn? or 7/8's turn then adjust the set screw? im not sure how this works but thats what the instructions from comp says. just want to be sure

Thu May 12, 2011 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next