View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Barrie area chassis shop projects past 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Barrie area chassis shop projects past
skinny z wrote:
Stainless Y-Pipe and crossmember.

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I likes the stainless. I might be bringin my car to you then for the exhaust as I need a Y-pipe made up. Can you pend the collector tube on the headers I got as they are like mm or 2 away from hitting the rail and my V-band clamps wont go on for sure. Let me know and a rough idea of a simular y-pipe will run me as I need it done real soon. Thanks

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:28 am
CCFBG Club Member

Do you have any pictures of what you have so far?
You have an LS engine, that much I know. What transmission and transmission cross member?
Are you running catalytics?
Do you have an exhaust system from the y-pipe back?
The y-pipe in the picture is made up of 4 Y-J stainless mandrel bends (2 1/2"), cut up and TIG welded. The 2 into 1 merge is a Flowmaster stainless piece. All parts are fitted with 3-bolt flanges (front and rear).

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 am
Forum User

That exhaust setup looks very nice! I eventually will be looking to build a custom exhaust soon also with hedman longtubes. Where is your shop located? I would be hoping to build a true dual setup with it exiting just before the rear wheels, but I would need to throw in a couple cats on either side. Probably just some punched out highflo's since I dont need to do an e-test anymore. What kind of price range would I be looking at?

Brent

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:21 pm
Forum Moderator

Impressed 8)

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Hawk wrote:
Impressed 8)

Thanks. Credit goes to shop owner, Tom. Altered Images has been around for decades and a lot of very cool vehicles have been through his doors. Once I get around to scanning more of his photo archives, I'l post them up.
Lots of smaller jobs too. Subframe connectors, mini tubs, as well as back halfs and full tube chassis.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:41 pm
CCFBG Club Member

skinny z wrote:
You have an LS engine, that much I know. What transmission and transmission cross member?
The y-pipe in the picture is made up of 4 Y-J stainless mandrel bends (2 1/2"), cut up and TIG welded. The 2 into 1 merge is a Flowmaster stainless piece. All parts are fitted with 3-bolt flanges (front and rear).

I have a LS with hawks stainless headers. I will need to get Cats from whatever shop I go with and would want high flowing good ones. Not the crap with cardboard that lasts a week. It would be 3 inch and I have a SLP loudmouth catback set up and will be using a hwaks double hump crossmember

I will also need the collector bent abit as the Vband clamp on the end of it is too close to put it on to hold it together. I will also want to Vband the y pipe after the merge together incase I need to take the tranny out. Makes it easier

heres what it looks like from underneath

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 am
CCFBG Club Member

6SIX6 wrote:
skinny z wrote:

I have a LS with hawks stainless headers. I will need to get Cats from whatever shop I go with and would want high flowing good ones. Not the crap with cardboard that lasts a week. It would be 3 inch and I have a SLP loudmouth catback set up and will be using a hwaks double hump crossmember

I will also need the collector bent abit as the Vband clamp on the end of it is too close to put it on to hold it together. I will also want to Vband the y pipe after the merge together incase I need to take the tranny out. Makes it easier

Thanks for the picture. It goes a long way towards trying to crank out an estimate and not actually seeing the car.
I'll be sitting down with my fabricator later tonight (hopefully) and get back to you.
What's your timeframe?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm
CCFBG Club Member

87 iroc wrote:
That exhaust setup looks very nice! I eventually will be looking to build a custom exhaust soon also with hedman longtubes. Where is your shop located? I would be hoping to build a true dual setup with it exiting just before the rear wheels, but I would need to throw in a couple cats on either side. Probably just some punched out highflo's since I dont need to do an e-test anymore. What kind of price range would I be looking at?

Brent

Like I said to Ray (6six6), I'll get together with my fabricator and we'll go over the pics you sent (thanks for sending them, it makes things a lot easier if we know what you would like to see as a finished product).
There's not a lot of room to put cats and mufflers but we've done it before.
What's your timeframe?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm
CCFBG Club Member

skinny z wrote:
6SIX6 wrote:
skinny z wrote:

Thanks for the picture. It goes a long way towards trying to crank out an estimate and not actually seeing the car.
I'll be sitting down with my fabricator later tonight (hopefully) and get back to you.
What's your timeframe?

Timeframe isnt too quick but Id like to have it done within the next month for sure as I still got to get it tuned and work out some bugs.

Heres another pic I foun of a long shot so you see everything

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:32 am
Forum User

skinny z wrote:
87 iroc wrote:

Brent

Like I said to Ray (6six6), I'll get together with my fabricator and we'll go over the pics you sent (thanks for sending them, it makes things a lot easier if we know what you would like to see as a finished product).
There's not a lot of room to put cats and mufflers but we've done it before.
What's your timeframe?

No rush. My current exhaust needs to be fixed but instead of fixing it I will just replace it hopefully with a custom setup.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 am
CCFBG Club Member

An example of why it's difficult to quote a job.
This 67 Nova came in as a "mint back half car that goes 10's and needs some sheet metal to finish it off".

The original "sheet metal" for the trunk was 1/8" aluminum checker plate. The frame rails were blown full of residential spray foam insulation. There wasn't a square datum point on the car and the welds looked like someone had sneezed a big glob of snot onto the frame rails.
So what started out as a casual estimate for about $2500 for new trunk steel, wheel tubs and a few bars (to replace the patio furniture that had been glued in for bracing) has now grown to new Competition Engineering back half frame rails, sub frame connectors, shock mounts, etc.....
It's really as testimony as to how important it can be to get a car up on the hoist and having a good look.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am
CCFBG Club Member

I figured I'd post this up again.
Aside from a 69 Road Runner restoration project (that's hogging way too much hoist time!) the shop is open and looking for business.
Looking for some fabrication or installation?
Exhaust
Sub frame connectors
Back half
Trans conversion (auto to stick or vice versa)
Full tube chassis (certified too)
Big or small. We can do it all.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2