View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Back in a Formula Again 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Back in a Formula Again
auto_god wrote:
Had a Fedex box waiting on my front step when I got home today!

The exhaust system that is on the car currently looks like something that was cobbled together at the local muffler shop (and poorly done at that too). The bends are all crush bent, not bent correctly (the over the axle pipe is bent in such a way that it melted through my parking brake cable), and the pipes look like they've been on there for quite some time (holes rusted through in a few spots). It does however have a nice shiny Magnaflow muffler though!! Due to the holes, it was going to need replacement to certify next spring, so I elected to just replace the whole system. To be honest, I really wasn't a fan of the sound of the Magnaflow either. It didn't sound bad, but it wasn't a "oooh....listen to that sound either" Hoping this new system sounds better.....I guess I'll be the first to know! Lol!

Looks like I have something I can do tomorrow morning now!

So what brand is the new one? :lol:

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Good work so far. 8)

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

Hawk wrote:
auto_god wrote:
Had a Fedex box waiting on my front step when I got home today!

The exhaust system that is on the car currently looks like something that was cobbled together at the local muffler shop (and poorly done at that too). The bends are all crush bent, not bent correctly (the over the axle pipe is bent in such a way that it melted through my parking brake cable), and the pipes look like they've been on there for quite some time (holes rusted through in a few spots). It does however have a nice shiny Magnaflow muffler though!! Due to the holes, it was going to need replacement to certify next spring, so I elected to just replace the whole system. To be honest, I really wasn't a fan of the sound of the Magnaflow either. It didn't sound bad, but it wasn't a "oooh....listen to that" sound either. Hoping this new system sounds better.....I guess I'll be the first to know! Lol!

Looks like I have something I can do tomorrow morning now!

So what brand is the new one? :lol:

The new system is actually a Jegs system. I was surprised at how few options this particular car has for catbacks, especially if you want a 3 inch system (this is a dual cat car). I had a look inside the muffler tonight & it looks very "Flowmaster'ish". My understanding is that these systems are built by Hearthrob for Jegs. The build quality looks pretty good sitting on the garage floor.....guess I'll know in the morning how it sounds ( & fits).

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:27 pm
Senior Forum User

ImageWP_20141019_002 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Finally got a chance to get the exhaust on the car this morning. Fit is extremely good.....very pleased. The sound is exactly what I was hoping for!! Very pleased with the system so far.

Also had a chance this week to replace the bushings in the left headlight motor, so I now have 2 functioning headlights again!!

After removing the old system it became apparent what a piece of crap the old system was. I won't be missing it at all!

ImageWP_20141019_005 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

ImageWP_20141019_006 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Last edited by auto_god on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:23 pm
Senior Forum User

At this point about all I really have left to do to the car to get it on the road in the spring is to put catalytic converters back in the car again to get it to pass emissions. The previous owner of the car lives about an hour north of me where there is no emission testing & had the cats cut out & replaced with straight pipe (poorly done as well as those welds were all leaking). Given that I had intentions of putting long tubes on this car right from day one, it doesn't make any sense to put new cats in the factory y-pipe, only to rip them out when I put the headers in, so I think I'll just bite the bullet & do the headers/y-pipe/cats over the winter & just be done with it.

I have still been puttering away with things related to the car though. As I mentioned in an earlier post the rad fans weren't working when I got the car. Looking at things a little closer I've also noticed the rad to be relatively new as well. Those 2 factors got me wondering if the car may have been overheated ....maybe more than once. The car didn't really run when I brought it home so I haven't driven it any length of time to know if there are any issues in that respect that I haven't found yet. With that in mind, I acquired a set of 083 heads from another user of this forum & brought them home as insurance......just in case! Hopefully I won't need to put them into service right away & can spend this summer porting them!!!

Whichever scenario plays out, the heads have been sitting for quite some time & needed a pretty good clean up so that is what I've been doing. When I picked them up, they were what you would expect for 25+ year old heads.....rusty, oily, in need of some love.

ImageWP_20141208_001 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

So I headed over to Rona, spent $23 & rigged myself up an electrolysis tank to clean these things up.

ImageWP_20141212_001 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

A LOT of nasty stuff came off!!!

ImageWP_20141213_001 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

24 hrs later after pulling the head out, hosing it off & drying it, I'm pretty pleased with the results!!

Now I have to get my ass out of my La-Z-Boy & go do the other one!!

ImageWP_20141213_006 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

ImageWP_20141213_007 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Last edited by auto_god on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 am
CCFBG Club Member

Wow neat cheap tech trick,those heads look like new castings now 8)

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

transamtom wrote:
Wow neat cheap tech trick,those heads look like new castings now 8)

& the best part is it involved pretty much zero labour on my part! :D

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 am
Forum Moderator

Looks good. I was wondering if you could post up a list of the materials you bought and a how to for making that tank.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:34 pm
Senior Forum User

mikesz1984 wrote:
Looks good. I was wondering if you could post up a list of the materials you bought and a how to for making that tank.

No problem!

All you need to do this process is,

1. A plastic container large enough to hold whatever you are wanting to clean.
2. A piece of sacrificial metal to place in the container (you can see the piece of sheet metal I picked up @ Rona for $6 in the back of the tank)
3. Baking Soda.....I got a box of Arm & Hammer @ Rona for $3.
4. A battery charger.
5. Water.

All you need to do is place your item in the tank & submerge it in water (ensure your part & the sacrificial metal are not touching!) Place the +ve from the battery charger on the sacrificial metal. Place the -ve on the part you are cleaning. Mix in some baking soda into the solution & plug in the charger (I used the 2A setting).......let chemistry take care of the rest! Go to bed, go to work....do whatever.

A couple of tips I figured out having done this a few times.

1. Use hot water. It does nothing for the process itself, but the baking soda mixes in the water much better & gets the process going quicker.

2. I didn't use any specific mixing ratio of baking soda to water. I dumped some in the water & plugged the charger in.....if it didn't start charging, I unplugged it, added some more soda & tried again.

3. Once you have successfully cleaned your part to your satisfaction, dry it quickly & be prepared to either put a thin film of oil on it or paint it very soon after as your part will begin to rust again very quickly afterwards.

I really like this process for several reasons.

1. No dust like my sandblast cabinet.
2. Doesn't damage the part in any way (although I'm told it will absolutely destroy aluminum & stainless)
3. You can't "over do it".....leaving it in too long will do nothing.
4. & most of all......NO LABOUR involved from me!!!

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:05 pm
Forum Moderator

Thank you for the write up. I have read about this before but I found most people complicate their explanation of it. Yours is by far the best I have read. It makes it easy to set up. I will be doing some of this over the holidays before I break out the new powder coater Santa is bringing me lol

Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:51 pm
Forum User

Great job so far and a very cool tech tip, going to have to try that somtime.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:05 pm
Senior Forum User

Well, head #1 has a light film of WD40 on it now to prevent it from rusting until I'm ready to either install or port these heads. Head #2 is in the tank & cooking currently.

While the 2nd head is cooking I decided to take a few minutes to pull out the factory Memcal & plug it into my APU1 & read the OE calibration off of it so I can have a browse around.

ImageWP_20141215_001 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Still feeling out the software & getting comfortable with the OBD1 process......WAY more demanding of the user than the OBDII tuning I do on a regular basis.

Everything worked as it should though, so now I have lots of tables to sift through in the evenings.

Last edited by auto_god on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 am
CCFBG Club Member

Awesome job!!

I love it!

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

auto_god wrote:
Still feeling out the software & getting comfortable with the OBD1 process......WAY more demanding of the user than the OBDII tuning I do on a regular basis.

Yes it is, yet I constantly get peeps that think its just a 5min job, lol

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:35 pm
Senior Forum User

Hawk wrote:
auto_god wrote:

Yes it is, yet I constantly get peeps that think its just a 5min job, lol

Well that seems to be one thing consistent between OBD1 & OBDII! Lol!

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next