View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Back in a Formula Again 
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Back in a Formula Again
Didn't really feel like getting too involved in working on the car today so I decided to just tinker & take some more measurements.

First thing I checked was the deck height on bank 2 now that the head is off that side.......& who would have guessed that the deck heights are not even from one bank to the other? Lol! :? Bank 2 measures .025 in the hole.

Putting those measurements into the same compression ratio calculator results in this.

ImageCapture by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

I also got looking closer at the 083 heads I removed from the car & noticed some differences to the 083 heads that I ported (surprised that there seems to be variations of the 083!)

Each intake port of the heads I pulled from the car has a very pronounced ridge protruding easily 1/8" or better (it doesn't look as bad in the picture as it is).....this was not present on the heads I ported. Perhaps the difference from these stock 083's to my ported ones will be greater than I had anticipated!

Imagereceived_10158182550595556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:28 pm
Senior Forum User

Had 1 of each head side by side out on the bench in my shed today swapping springs, locks, shims, retainers etc from the original head to the ported one & as I suspected, there are definitely variations on the 083 head.

Image20161220_160504 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Image20161220_160516 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Without putting them on a flow bench its impossible to say which one is actually better, but visually I would think the 083-2 to flow better stock due to not having the huge ridge in each intake port.

Doesn't really affect my progress at all, just thought it to be interesting info that I haven't come across yet in all my googling!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:26 pm
Forum User

Excellent work you have done. You gave this car a seond chance and gave her the treatment that she deserves.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:20 pm
Senior Forum User

chevypower91 wrote:
Excellent work you have done. You gave this car a seond chance and gave her the treatment that she deserves.

Lots of things to do yet!

Originally all I planned to do this winter was put new T-top seals in the car, but my leaking manifold/ported heads project has delayed that a bit. I'm currently about 80% finished with the head swap (all I have left at this point is to put the runners & plenum back on, cap/wires/plugs back on, & put the y-pipe & cat back in.....couple hours should have it running again.....hopefully!! LOL!)

Assuming that all goes well, I do plan to attack the T-top seals still, but....one thing at a time!!

On one hand I feel like I'm pointlessly rushing to complete things, but on the other hand, I had the car out in March last year, so if the same holds true this year I only have a couple months left! I don't plan on wasting any time I could be out enjoying the car due to not having my projects complete!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21 pm
Forum Moderator

I tackled that t-top seal job about 7 years ago. I ordered the GM stuff and although highly expensive it fit perfect.
I also wished I had some rope style caulking that body shops use as the guide I used called for it to be applied on the
the corners under the metal panel of the seals. Some how I got it to be leak free. Good luck.

1994 Corvette Z07

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:01 pm
Senior Forum User

Corp Z wrote:
I tackled that t-top seal job about 7 years ago. I ordered the GM stuff and although highly expensive it fit perfect.
I also wished I had some rope style caulking that body shops use as the guide I used called for it to be applied on the
the corners under the metal panel of the seals. Some how I got it to be leak free. Good luck.

My motives for tackling the T top seals are a little different. Since I bought the car back in 2014 its only been wet once (the car needed a major cleanup after sitting in the previous owners garage stationary for over 5 years), so being leak proof isn't a major priority to me. My motive is primarily a cosmetic one. The previous owner tells me someone attempted to break into the car years before damaging the T top seals all down the drivers side A pillar........looks like crap!!

Image20170108_085827 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

The T tops in this car are the Cars & Concepts tops which is what is putting this project higher up on my priority list. Apparently Sunroofdoctor bought up the remaining supplies of seals from Cars & Concepts years ago.......these supplies obviously aren't going last forever so I'd like to pick some up before supplies disappear!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:48 am
Senior Forum User

Pleased she's all back together and running again!

After having everything apart and checking to ensure the block and heads were true I made the decision to go to a slightly thinner head gasket to tighten the quench up some.

Here is where the final result wound up.

ImageCapture_1 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Not a drastic difference, but the extra compression seems to have deepened the tone of the motor some which I'm not disappointed about!

During re-assembly I popped for some nice thick Summit brand copper header gaskets which seem to have finally sealed the headers up. The gaskets that came with the headers were complete garbage and leaked pretty much immediately. I replaced those with some generic FelPro that the parts store at the corner happened to have in stock at the time which also leaked after a very short period of time too. The leak from the FelPro's wasn't horrible so I just lived with it for the summer. Hoping that issue is finally resolved!

So, given that I have at least another month or more before being able to drive it again and touch up the tune, I've decided to tackle another nagging issue once and for all........time to upgrade to a 3 wire heated o2 sensor!

I shouldn't really say its been a nagging issue. I had my tune dialed in well enough that it never caused any driveability issues, but any time I would start the car it would never go into closed loop until the car was driven for several minutes (sitting idling it would never go closed loop no matter how long it sat idling). On cooler days in the spring & fall, or when leaving for work early in the morning, coming to a stoplight and idling for a couple minutes would also result in the o2 sensor cooling off and car going back to open loop. While it didn't cause any driveability issues, I'm certain the fuel economy will improve if the car can be made to go into closed loop quickly and stay there, and I'm also looking ahead to the summer of 2018 when the car will need an emission test again. The last time it was tested it just barely squeaked by the idle limits (likely due to being in open loop), but breezed through the 2500 rpm part of the test (as it would have gone into closed loop at that point). I'm actually pretty interested to see what sort of drivability improvements come from upgrading to something a little more modern (if any), as the car did drive quite well to begin with. Parts should be arriving this week for this upgrade!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 pm
Senior Forum User

Spent about 45 min this evening installing my new 3 wire heated O2 sensor.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

Imagecei-103025_w by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Install was straight forward, no issues whatsoever. Actually is a very well put together kit. I'm pleased with it.

But the big question.....did it work?

For the first time since I've had this car, it went into closed loop and stayed there just idling in the garage, even with tonight's 1 deg C temps!!! :D Couldn't be more pleased with my purchase! So the lesson here is if you are going to do long tubes on your third gen, just get the heated o2 sensor right from the start and be done with it.

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm
Senior Forum User

Given that the car is ready to go whenever the weather decides to co-operate I decided to give the heads I removed from the car a clean up so they spent some time in my electrolysis tank too.

Results were excellent again. Now I just need to decide what to do with them!

Imagereceived_10158516779965556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Looking pretty good for 27 years old!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:20 pm
Senior Forum User

Had a nice clear day earlier this week so I decided to see how the ported heads are working! It has definitely picked up some steam!

ImageApr 18 GPS Dyno by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

While the peak power number didn't have a huge improvement the torque under the curve has improved considerably. Even if it doesn't pick up further, I'm giddy with the torque its making now! :D

Still have a few little bugs to work out, put pretty pleased with the improvement, especially given that all it cost me was my time (a lot of that), and a bunch of gaskets!

I'll be curious to see what Track Addict has to say, but need to spend some time with the laptop touching up the tune first.

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:44 am
Senior Forum User

Track Addict seems to concur with what Virtual Dyno & my butt dyno say.

Nice improvement despite killing the tires when I launched the car. 3 tenths quicker and +2 mph trap speed are a pretty considerable improvement!

Porting the heads has been the single biggest improvement to the performance of the car to this point.....definitely worthwhile doing considering all it cost me was $40 for a used pair of heads, maybe $100 worth of gaskets etc & time.....LOTS of time between doing the porting & swapping the heads.

In the end I`m happy with the results.

I would think if I were take the car to a prepped track it would pretty easily run in the 13`s.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm
Senior Forum User

Well now that the exciting performance stuff is dealt with I`m back to the more mundane stuff.

Ever since I bought the car, turning the fan up higher than level 2 would result in an intense vibration in the dash, & after a few minutes the blower motor would start making ugly noises. Given that 98% of the time when I`m out in the car the windows are down & the T tops are out, it was never a top priority. Well this spring I`ve been heading to work quite early in the morning some days.......good heat has become something of interest to me!!

This explains a lot!!

Image20170426_094452 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

The inside of the motor was all full of the insulation material too, so I just put a new one in & all is good again. Lots of heat on the cool mornings!

Another case of `Why did I wait so long to do that?"

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:25 pm
Forum User

auto_god wrote:
Well now that the exciting performance stuff is dealt with I`m back to the more mundane stuff.

Ever since I bought the car, turning the fan up higher than level 2 would result in an intense vibration in the dash, & after a few minutes the blower motor would start making ugly noises. Given that 98% of the time when I`m out in the car the windows are down & the T tops are out, it was never a top priority. Well this spring I`ve been heading to work quite early in the morning some days.......good heat has become something of interest to me!!

This explains a lot!!

The inside of the motor was all full of the insulation material too, so I just put a new one in & all is good again. Lots of heat on the cool mornings!

Another case of `Why did I wait so long to do that?"

Wow. Was that a nest?

Great job on resurrecting the car.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 pm
Senior Forum User

While I didn't find any other evidence of critters (droppings etc), I have no other explanation as to how all that insulation material would wind up there other than it being a nest.

One more thing crossed off the list!

Maybe I'll actually get to the t top seals soon!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 pm
Senior Forum User

Dealt with more stuff that was irritating me. Not really visible from most normal angles looking at the car, but I knew it was there!

Image20170306_170914 1 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

I was relieved to see that the previous owner used the factory paint code when he had the car repainted years ago.....he didn't actually pass that info along.

In any case, much better!

Image20170306_170945 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next