View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
 Back in a Formula Again 
Senior Forum User

Post Re: Back in a Formula Again
Got some time to work on the chip a little today. Made some pretty decent gains below 3500 rpm.....that's quite a pick up in torque.

ImagePorted Heads New Chip by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Looks like you've added a couple hundred RPM to the power band too. Nice.

Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 pm
Senior Forum User

lb9 GTA wrote:
Looks like you've added a couple hundred RPM to the power band too. Nice.

I'm really pleased with the improvement in performance of the car from when I first bought it, especially considering what I've really spent on upgrades. All I've really done is a cam & spring swap (with a $70 blowout deal cam at that), ported a set of used heads I got for $40 (porting only cost me my time)......ported a manifold I got for $50, ported the plenum & runners, slapped a K&N on it, bolted on some long tubes & a catback (the biggest expense), and did a LOT of tuning (also free).

It's almost laughable that doing these things has generated these kinds of results.
Blue plot as the car is currently, vs red plot as the car was when I first put it on the road with long tubes & catback installed.

ImageStock vs current by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

I created another stock vs now video to give a perspective of the difference. The start time has been synched in the video.....watch the speedo in the corner of the screen.

ImageStock vs ported Heads by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

At this point I would say the performance mods are done.....I don't plan on doing anything further. Now that I'm satisfied with the performance I'll be moving on to fixing all the little cosmetic stuff.

Last edited by auto_god on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sat May 06, 2017 5:00 pm
Senior Forum User

Quote "At this point I would say the performance mods are done.....I don't plan on doing anything further. Now that I'm satisfied with the performance I'll be moving on to fixing all the little cosmetic stuff."

Well that turned out to be a lie!

As I’ve been working away at getting the most from this car, my old issue of the MAP reading falling as the rpm’s climb has resurfaced indicating the engine is moving enough air that something else has become a restriction in the intake.  Given that the only things in the intake tract at this point are the throttle body and a K&N filter, I felt the throttle body  was the far more likely culprit, so I removed it and spent some time doing some porting on it to see what sort of results that would generate (& I really don’t want to drop hundreds of dollars on an aftermarket unit).

The stock throttle body.

Imagereceived_10158895177465556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

After 45 minutes with sanding rolls on my grinder.  I made my best effort to smooth out the weird ridge and give it more of a velocity stack shape.

Imagereceived_10158895180065556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

But as with any modification I headed out to determine if all the effort actually accomplished anything.

Apparently it did.

ImageNew chip vs ported throttle body by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

I’ll take +12 ft/lbs of torque any day of the week for 45 minutes of messing around!

Looking at the shape of the latest graph though, it appears that I am once again up against an airflow limitation indicated by the plateau at the top of the torque curve and the hp curve.  It would appear the car has come full circle back to the OE (albeit ported) TPI manifold is the weakest link in the airflow chain.  Given that everything from the air filter down has been ported, it would seem like this is everything the stock components have in them (not that I’m disappointed…..that is a phenomenal amount of torque!)  To progress further would involve replacing a lot of components at a significant price tag, so at this point I don’t plan on any further engine upgrades.  At this point I’ll turn my focus to trying to put all that torque to the ground!  My back tires lead a very unhappy life now!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 am
Senior Forum User

Did you try it with an airfoil on the throttle body? It's a pretty common addition.

Formerly 95 LT1 [LE2.2]/T56/4.11 9 Bolt..12.6@114MPH

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 am
Senior Forum User

6speedIROC wrote:
Did you try it with an airfoil on the throttle body? It's a pretty common addition.

I haven't.......my attention has been drawn elsewhere!

The car is letting me know it isn't happy trying to cope with the torque it has now! Bottom rear corner of both doors have recently developed this.

Image20170526_185742 2 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Subframe connectors should be here Friday. :o

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 am
Senior Forum User

My Jegs subframe connectors arrived today! Really pleased with the build quality of them. They are a pretty beefy looking piece, but not nearly as heavy as you would expect when you pick them up (I believe the FedEx document said they are 26 lbs).

Imagereceived_10159063580100556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Installation was a snap......had them completed in less than 2 hrs I'd say. Everything fit and lined up as it should. Highly recommended.

Imagereceived_10159063847080556 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Now I had read all the posts on ThirdGen.org from guys saying their subframe connectors made a phenomenal difference in the rigidity/stiffness of their cars. I knew there would be an improvement, but in the back of my mind I was wondering if the difference was as big as these people suggested......maybe they just really wanted to be happy with their purchase.. Well after only a brief 5 minute drive after I completed the job yesterday, I'm here to say they really do make that big of an improvement! You really don't notice all the extra body motions, twists, bends etc that a car does until you install something like this and then they are gone. This car honestly feels like a 20 year newer car now.

So I too am now of the opinion that if you have a T-top third gen, just put the subframe connectors in right away.........they really do make that much difference.

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 am
Forum Moderator

Lol you wouldn't believe the amount of flex my convertible has, even with the one set of frame connectors. I am thinking of adding another set.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:26 pm
Senior Forum User

mikesz1984 wrote:
Lol you wouldn't believe the amount of flex my convertible has, even with the one set of frame connectors. I am thinking of adding another set.

Is this the '92 Convertible you're referring to? Would love to see some pics of it in your other thread......

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 am
Forum Moderator

Yes that's it, I will be doing pics of it shortly, still waiting to hear what insurance plans on doing, they said it was covered but they have been awfully quiet since.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 pm
Senior Forum User

Well keep the updates coming! Good to see another Artic White Firebird on here......& I also feel like I'm the only guy posting here at times!

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 pm
CCFBG Club Member

auto_god wrote:
Looking at the shape of the latest graph though, it appears that I am once again up against an airflow limitation indicated by the plateau at the top of the torque curve and the hp curve.  It would appear the car has come full circle back to the OE (albeit ported) TPI manifold is the weakest link in the airflow chain.  Given that everything from the air filter down has been ported, it would seem like this is everything the stock components have in them (not that I’m disappointed…..that is a phenomenal amount of torque!)  To progress further would involve replacing a lot of components at a significant price tag, so at this point I don’t plan on any further engine upgrades.  At this point I’ll turn my focus to trying to put all that torque to the ground!  My back tires lead a very unhappy life now!

There is one last thing you could try with the stock intake parts. You can siamese the lower intake runners. I would imagine that'll cost you some torque though.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Senior Forum User

lb9 GTA wrote:
auto_god wrote:

There is one last thing you could try with the stock intake parts. You can siamese the lower intake runners. I would imagine that'll cost you some torque though.

You know I did actually give that some thought. Ultimately 2 things led me to the decision to leave it as is.

1. That damned oil leak at the back of the manifold is finally sealed up & I ain't taking it off again unless I absolutely have to.

2. I might actually have the car at full throttle at peak power maybe once every couple weeks..........I enjoy the gobs of torque every time I drive the car. I think losing some of that torque would take away from my enjoyment of the car.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 am
Senior Forum User

This post has nothing to do with the progress of my car, but thought I'd share anyway.

A local grade school was having their graduation night tonight & the kids decided they wanted the theme of the night to be Fast & Furious. Given the car theme I was one of the people asked to bring their car out to allow the kids to have their pictures taken with the cars.

Image20170627_181503 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

Nice to see the next generation of car enthusiasts taking an interest in our old beaters!!

Last edited by auto_god on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 pm
Senior Forum User

Being a beautiful morning this morning I decided to head out to work a little early just to enjoy the scenic route with the tops out. While out I came to the realization that since I've had my subframe connectors in, I haven't tried launching the car to see if the off the line grip has been improved.

Previously launching the car was a case of, once the weight transferred to the rear & I would nail the throttle, the body would twist planting the RR tire hard, but somewhat unloading the LR causing a sideways launch through most of first gear.

Things are very, very different now!

Once the weight has transferred to the rear, nailing the throttle no longer causes the body to twist. Both rear tires plant now & the car almost dead hooks with the rear tires aired down a bit.

The performance difference is remarkable.

Image2018-03-13_04-26-18 by Shane Hewitt, on Flickr

An improvement of 4 tenths in ET from a single modification in exceptional!

Last edited by auto_god on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next