View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 "The Project" - Begins 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: "The Project" - Begins
Nice 8)

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

[quote="The Project"]...the springs I installed were the same ones Comp Cams recommended for my engine/cam combo...quote]

I'm not sure what you're intended rpm range is however remember that you'll you'll be limited by the OEM hydraulic roller lifter. We've found extreme power losses at revs approcahing 6000 due to lifter distortion and the subsequent loss of hydraulic action. When the lifter bleeds down .200", all sorts of odd things can happen. Not to mention a huge loss of horsepower.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:27 pm
CCFBG Club Member

He has a TPI so 6000 would be about max rpm. Lifters pump up during high rpm and hold the valves open that is why when preloading them less is more.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:32 pm
CCFBG Club Member

flame wrote:
He has a TPI so 6000 would be about max rpm. Lifters pump up during high rpm and hold the valves open that is why when preloading them less is more.

Actually, it's NOT the lifters pumping up. It's that the lifters BLEED DOWN. Hydraulic pressure is lost due to the lifter body distortion, the preload disappears and there can be about two tenths of clearance to take up.
Imagine adjusting your lifters and leaving that much clearance. The first thing that happens is that your overall lift is reduced by almost 50%. The second thing is that now your valve train has to deal with 200 thou of clearance. That will spell the end of your valve guides in short time, not to mention the other damage it may inflict.
Before anyone wants to contribute and say " it didn't happen to me" I'll say that you're either not at the point where it makes a difference (that is a smaller cam and no extended rpm ) or you you haven't yet seen the results.
As a check, examine the published builds in magazines and such. Peak HP is at or around 5500 rpm.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Got a link to the lifter distortion theory?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 pm
CCFBG Club Member

It happened to me with the stock lifter. Think of a shock not fast enough in compressing/decompressing. Killed a lifter first then a cam..05-305-8 cam from Comp Cams and yes also used too tight of a spring for the hydraulic lifters and cam thats recommended by them. Killled the lifter then the cam. They ended up replacing the cam.

IMO springs has to match the springs in its ENTIRE RPM range.BTW gained 5mph and the valvetrain got quieter.

This was a 383 with a Superram so Im in the 5500-6500 RPM range

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Daz wrote:
It happened to me with the stock lifter. Think of a shock not fast enough in compressing/decompressing. Killed a lifter first then a cam..05-305-8 cam from Comp Cams and yes also used too tight of a spring for the hydraulic lifters and cam thats recommended by them. Killled the lifter then the cam. They ended up replacing the cam.

IMO springs has to match the springs in its ENTIRE RPM range.BTW gained 5mph and the valvetrain got quieter.

This was a 383 with a Superram so Im in the 5500-6500 RPM range

That's an excellent example of what can go wrong.
In my case, we had built a new ZZZ Chevy short block into a Brodix headed, 290 degree cammed 7000 rpm screamer. The valve guides went away in a few thousand k. Figured it was a poorly set up valve train ( springs, installed height, etc) it was rebuilt with new springs, checked all the specs and that well engineered valve train pounded out the guides in a couple thousand kms. That's two sets of guides in just a few thousand k.
Lesson learned.
To sum up, I installed the Comp short travel toolsteel lifters and we went from a dismal 13+ something (edit) to a best of 12.4.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm
Forum Moderator

Started the engine reassembly.

Heads with the Comp Cams valve springs & Fel-Pro posi valve seals.

Shot of the block...no cracks or "extra metal" present

ZZ4 cam installed

Comp Cams Double Roller Timing Chain

Melling High Volume oil pump and solid shaft

Lifters reinstalled

Reusing the stock oil pan and added a deeper timing chain cover to clear the double roller. More pics soon.

Just rolling with the dog pound...

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:54 am
CCFBG Club Member

when do you think it will be on the road

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 am
Forum Moderator

SLICKRIDE wrote:
when do you think it will be on the road

Not probably next year. Should have the engine up and running and have it back on four wheels by the end of the month.

Any news on your new addition to the family?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 am
Forum Moderator

Had the spindles and engine accessory brackets powdercoated in a flat black. Came out pretty good.

Here are a few pics.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 am
CCFBG Club Member

It's a thing of beauty! Congrats on the build and your attention to detail. Nice work!

*SLP Ram Air/K&N *SS hood vents *Deep tints *Alpine/MTX/Rockford Fosgate audio *LT1 fan override *Koni/BMR springs and sub frame connectors *Founders adjustable panhard/LCAs with relocations *Bi-Xenon 6000K HID conversion *Cross drilled rotors painted calipers *Ported polished and reworked LT1 *3" Flowmaster Thunder/Mechem tips *Hotchkiss cross brace

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

flame wrote:
Got a link to the lifter distortion theory?

It's in Vizards latest edition of his SBC book. The first edition pre-dates his OEM roller builds and the limitations of the stock lifter weren't fully realized. I could scan the page I suppose.
(My apologies for not replying to this question sooner. I'm re-reading a few old posts and just saw this.)

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Any Updates? Just found this forum.. great looking build. Reminds me of a time when I did the same to my 82 Pace car back before the turn of the century. LOL Makes me feel OLD.

Keep up the good work,

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm
Forum Moderator

I plan on getting back to finish rebuilding the engine in a few weeks after it warms up a bit.

I did pick up a few items from MSD to help the stock ignition out. I figured my 15 year old Accell coil needed a break. I added a MSD Digital 6 box and MSD harness as well.

I wanted to paint the Digital 6 as nothing in my engine bay is red and I'm going for the blue/gray look. The guys a MSD sent me a new cover FREE and said after I paint it, return the box and painted cover and they would install it and reseal the box. Sounds like a plan to me. :D

I picked up some Clarion component speakers for the doors. I heard them in a car a few years ago and was impressed with the clear detailed sound they produced.

I plan on modifying my door buildouts next month and will post up step-by-step.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next