View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 "The Project" - Begins 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: "The Project" - Begins
Someone is gonna be washing the engine bay every month.. too nice to be dirty :twisted:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm
Forum Moderator

Spent the day applying the Duplicolor bed liner to the inner fenders, tranny tunnel, underside, frame rails and rad cradle.

If you're going to use this stuff (and it works great) a few things; the supplied roller does not work on non flat surfaces but thankfully the supplied brush does, go the dollar store and buy another brush (for the second coat) and a smaller brush (1") for the hard to reach places, lastly USE GLOVES!! bed liner is a pain to remove!!

You should apply two coats and the second coat can go on a bit thicker. It dries quickly and there is little smell. I put three coats on the rad cradle just because.

It dries to a texture but as you won't see most of the bed liner, it doesn't matter if it dries smooth or not.

Just rolling with the dog pound...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 pm
Forum Moderator

Picked up a set of almost new SLP headers and matching Y pipe. They look like they were never used and have no rust on them. Decided to give them a few coats of High Temp paint. Came out pretty good. Wonder if VHT will give me a discount!!

ENGINE REBUILD TIME.
Few pics of the engine teardown and prep before adding the ZZ4 cam, springs and retainers as well as Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers, Comp Cams Chrome Moly rods, Comp Cams double roller timing chain, MSD 8.8 wires, Holley AFPR and above mentioned SLP headers.

Motor was in storage at the shop for a few years. Came out of a US IROC with only 35,000 mi.

Removed parts waiting for a good clean.

Will start the build next week.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Curious, why were the heads pulled off? Are you replacing those too with say some Vortec or aluminum counterparts?

Looks like a lot of work!

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Curious, why were the heads pulled off? Are you replacing those too with say some Vortec or aluminum counterparts?

Pulling/removing the factory roller lifters to do the ZZ4 cam swap.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 am
CCFBG Club Member

The Project wrote:
Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:

You dont need to remove the heads to do a cam swap on a SBC, only the intake manifold. You can change valve springs/retainers/seals with the heads still attached to the engine too. All you need is an airline fitting screwed into the sparkplug hole of the cylinder your working on and the valves will stay closed as you replace the valvetrain, thus negating the need to rip the heads off to change the valvetrain.

Only LSx motors require the removal of the heads to get at the lifters :)

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
The Project wrote:
Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:

You dont need to remove the heads to do a cam swap on a SBC, only the intake manifold. You can change valve springs/retainers/seals with the heads still attached to the engine too. All you need is an airline fitting screwed into the sparkplug hole of the cylinder your working on and the valves will stay closed as you replace the valvetrain, thus negating the need to rip the heads off to change the valvetrain.

Only LSx motors require the removal of the heads to get at the lifters :)

and since they are ALREADY off, he might as well put on a set of Vortecs or Alum Vette heads ;) just say'n :P

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:48 pm
Forum Moderator

Hawk wrote:
and since they are ALREADY off, he might as well put on a set of Vortecs or Alum Vette heads ;) just say'n :P

I would BUT I spent all my spare cash on 4th gen seats and TPIS runners. :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm
Forum Moderator

Quick update…head work today.

Removed the factory push-in studs and then taped the holes for the Comp Cams screw-in studs. It was a MAJOR PIA to tap the studs by hand but well worth the effort. Used LOTS of oil to keep the tool from getting hot while tapping and cleaned after each stud.

Discovered the ZZ4 springs would not fit the 305 heads without machining the spring pocket. Fortunately, my mechanic “just happened” to have a complete set of Comp Cams bee hive springs with matching retainers and locks. A quick call to Com Cams and “Randy” at CC confirmed the springs would fit but the exhaust valves would probably need a spacer to keep valve float at bay. Good news is the springs are good for 600 lift!!

Lastly, installed Fel-Pro posi valve seals to keep the excess oil from coming thru.

Will post pics next week.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 pm
CCFBG Club Member

IMO you dont want springs that are rated too high since they will be stiffer and will make the valvetrain heavier.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 pm
Forum Moderator

Funny thing was the springs I installed were the same ones Comp Cams recommended for my engine/cam combo. :D

When I read out the part number, my mechanic said he had a set. 8)

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am
Forum Moderator

Since the valve covers were off the car, decided to give them a good clean, light 180 grit scuff and apply some Duplicolor Charcoal Gray Met. paint. Didn't turn out too bad.

Picked up a set if TPIS runners and port matched plenum. Haven't decided what to do with the paint scheme yet

Anyone have ideas?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 pm
Senior Forum User

Lookin good. For the runners, I say just polish them up!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

colin911 wrote:
Lookin good. For the runners, I say just polish them up!

Ended up sending the runners to the powdercoater. Going for a black chrome look. 8)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 pm
Forum Moderator

Picked up a set of TPIS large tube runners from Hawk. Took them to Fireball Coatings and had them stripped and powdercoated in Black Chrome.

Here are some before and after shots and the runners with the painted valve covers. Looks pretty good so far. :D

Still not sure what to do with the plenum.

Before

After

With valve covers

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next