View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 My car, from the begining 
Forum Moderator

thats enough clearance to drive a dump truck through....your good to go....or its good to throw another .200 lift at :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah it seems high to me, but i am not sure how i could have screwed it up.
but with me you never know

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:44 pm
Forum Moderator

okay i used the push rod length checker and now i am really confused. if i did it right, the rod length i need to get the mark in the center of the valve is 7.070. but that is with a solid lifter, do i need to take into account any preload? What is confusing me is everybody else i have talked to with these heads have had to use .100 longer pushrods, and mine are .100 shorter.

Hey john when are you coming down to this area next time, if it is soon, i might get you to check my measurements and see if i am doing it wrong.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 pm
Senior Forum User

you not far offf, the block may have been decked at some point and the heads have been planed. if your getting 7.070 at zero lash than adding .100 of length for preload, when you set the valve lash you will have some room to play. 1/2 turn is like .040" i think. I believe factory preload is .120" or 1 1/4 turns after zero lash, I am proably wrong but i'm sure john or hal will tune in and help. Also running 1.6 rockers may offset your pushrod length due to different geometry.

I drive a FORD suckers But i do miss my camaro

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:32 pm
CCFBG Club Member

if you have the lifter locked at the top then your doing it right....decking and head milling will make for shorter push rods as well as if the cam has a smaller base circle.....i hope to hit the track in a couple weekends, so if your not in a rush i can pop by and see.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:48 pm
Forum Moderator

hey john that would be helpfull if you could, let me know, i could give you that transmission than,lol.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm
CCFBG Club Member

lookin good for saturday....all i have to do is get the car off the trailer, on the hoist, pull the trans, install new output shaft and reinstall............

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:28 pm
Forum Moderator

lookin good for saturday....all i have to do is get the car off the trailer, on the hoist, pull the trans, install new output shaft and reinstall............

lol, only that much

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm
Forum Moderator

Mr Bastard wrote:

lol, only that much

John like his Timmies DD also :D

Just rolling with the dog pound...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 pm
Forum Moderator

well to keep myself from being depressed tonight i went out and started to install the trick flow heads and i have a couple of questions.

The old heads didnt have washers under the bolt heads, the new arp bolts i have come with washers, should i use them.

I beleive the instructions say to torque them to 70 lbs -5lbs because they are aluminum, does this sound right.

Also what should I use on the head bolts, i doubt i will get the stuff arp recommends in this town, is there a good replacement to keep the coolant from seeping through the bolts.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm
Senior Forum User

Yes run the washers if they fit in the seat, yes 70lbs sounds right, factory is 65ft-lb. And Locttite thread sealant is what i always use cuz it's free for me. it works great and i've never had any leaks. It's also very similar to the stuff they use from the factory. It's anerobic so it will only cure on the threads, and is stays semi flexibls so it seals very well.

I drive a FORD suckers But i do miss my camaro

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Forum Moderator

well the heads are installed and torqued down, hopefully to the correct specs, lol, arp said i should torque to 60 lbs for aluminum so thats what i did( i though it origanally said 65, but when i re read it it was only 60) but another issue is that the first intake bolt holes dont seem to line up with head holes( the stock intake does), so i think i might need thicker gaskets. hopefully john will know when he shows up.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 pm
CCFBG Club Member

well the heads are installed and torqued down, hopefully to the correct specs, lol, arp said i should torque to 60 lbs for aluminum so thats what i did( i though it origanally said 65, but when i re read it it was only 60) but another issue is that the first intake bolt holes dont seem to line up with head holes( the stock intake does), so i think i might need thicker gaskets. hopefully john will know when he shows up.

What method did you use? Your supposed to go in steps, start at 30, than 40 than 65.

Also for the head bolt threads, Crappy Tire or Part Source or any supply store that carries Permatex products will have Permatex Thread Sealer. I think its the same company who makes the Loctite version but either will do. Anyways, its the best stuff to get the job done.

ALSO with the ARP bolts, you NEED to use a 30 weight oil or MOLY lube on the washers and the underside of the bolt heads in order to get the correct torque transferred down through the bolts.

Hopefully you did all this properly as id hate to hear of a gasket failure soon down the road. This isnt as crucial on iron heads as it is on aluminum since aluminum is softer, but im sure you get the idea.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

ah i stopped in today...mike will be fine and his head gaskets will be ok....i thin they will hold that 12:1 compression along with the blue bottle package he had there.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:13 pm
CCFBG Club Member

ah i stopped in today...mike will be fine and his head gaskets will be ok....i thin they will hold that 12:1 compression along with the blue bottle package he had there.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there some sort of story behind this?

Im sure the motor will propel his car to the 9's now since you touched it :lol:

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

thanks for stopping by john, and quit telling the secrets i have hidden on my car, lol

Also thanks for checking my measurement on the push rods, when will you be putting an order in, i think i might be able to convince the wife to let me buy them. Also did you say harold carries the extra thick intake gaskets, i have to figure out what i have to do with that. Ken at first injections wants me to give him a call, to see if it might be another problem. I will say i bought this intake about 2 years ago, and they are still great people to deal with

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next