View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 My car, from the begining 
CCFBG Club Member

harold just got a set of thick ones for an engine and they had to come out of the states....i can likely get em from where i get my parts, i will get the part number from harold tomorrow and see if they are in stock,

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 pm
Forum Moderator

well our company has finally shut down, so as of this week i am retired(lol just dont ask stacey if i am) so today i finally started tinkering on the z28 again, i have worked it out to get the car running i need aproximatley 200 bucks worth of stuff, mainly push rods, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and header bolts. That should get the car running, but not on the road, i already have new marker lights here, the tunnel boot, the right transmission fluid for the tranny, and all sorts of extra bolts i have to put back on the car, someplace. To get the car back on the road i need to get a electronic speedo package, a new console, and a dakota box so that the computer can tell what speed the car is going. Today i mocked up the intake( i still need thicker than stock intake gaskets) and installed all of the roller lifters. I also trimmed the hole inside the car so that the shifter can go in and come out easy. Also i tightened the transmisson cross member bolts down and finally tightened the engine mount bolts down.

Oh yeah one other thing i am going to need to get soon, a Job according to stace, lol

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:08 pm
Forum Moderator

Well the new parts showed up today, so i have the intake gaskets, the push rods, the header bolts and gaskets.
The question i have is how do i set the rocker arms up. What is the proper way for tightening them down. Also what should i torque the intake down to.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:12 pm
Forum Moderator

NOt happy right now, i went to tighten up the header bolts and one of them stripped, so i took it off, with the gasket and header flange the thing only sticks out 1/4 inch, it f**ked up the fist couple of theads in the aluminum head. f*** i have to find longer bolts but i dont think that 1 inch long will work on that head now either. i cant risk it on that back hole on the drivers side, that is the hardest one to get at, and that is the one that stripped.

NOte to other people doing this, make sure you order at least 1 inch long header bolts, it looks like most of them are 3/4 inch long
Thanks for listening, i am done my ranting now.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:02 pm
Forum Moderator

well time for an update, i have spent a couple of hours on the car, and i have managed to test fit the upper plenum, and hook up the exhaust, starter, and serpantine system. I also took this time to figure out the best way to install the plenum, i had it off and on 4 times(without gaskets) so that i have no issues when i go to do it. I also have had to put my car on a 5 step program to get off the bottle.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:25 pm
Forum Moderator

well it runs, not well yet, but it does run, hopefully tomorow i can have it dialed in better, but my timing light didnt work, so we set the timing by ear. we did get it to idle on its own, hopeflly i will be able to post some video tomorow, but at least for now, i am happ with what i got accomplished today

Sun May 30, 2010 1:37 am
Forum Moderator

well i got the car timed, it seems to run pretty good, problems have arisen though, the wire to activate the alternator doesnt work anymore, lol so i have hooked it up to the old choke wire, that got the system charging, i do have a small coolant leak(also the heat gauge doesnt work either), but that will be fixed tomorrow, and lastly the hydraulics on the clutch do not seem, to work right, i have the car up in the air, and when i put it into gear it engages into gear right away, this is the part that scare me most.

Does anybody have any idea how to check and see if the hydraulics are bad. the transmission is out of a 4th gen lt1 car.

Sun May 30, 2010 5:32 pm
Forum Moderator

well i pulled it out of the garage today, first time in 3 1/2 years, drove it down to the end street and back, it sounds good, have a couple of rattles i have to get rid of, and i have to move one of the lines, but it seems to have a good amount of power, i accidentally squawked the tires when i thought it was going to stall. i am trying to download a video to the net now, hopefully i can figure out how.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 pm
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am
Forum Moderator

drove the car tonight for the first time since 2006, we put about 60 km on it, the car will definitely be fun when i work out the one or two bugs i have. The first is the car has a miss, so i will be checking the ignition system this week, also i don't have a vss hooked up so it stalls when i come to a stop sign. the 2 other issues are the computer tune, and i need to fix my wiper motor.
Has anyone ever worked with a dakota digital sgi5 box, i know it wont give me a speedometer, but will it work to convert the t56 info into something my computer will recognize.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:13 pm
CCFBG Club Member

drove the car tonight for the first time since 2006, we put about 60 km on it, the car will definitely be fun when i work out the one or two bugs i have. The first is the car has a miss, so i will be checking the ignition system this week, also i don't have a vss hooked up so it stalls when i come to a stop sign. the 2 other issues are the computer tune, and i need to fix my wiper motor.
Has anyone ever worked with a dakota digital sgi5 box, i know it wont give me a speedometer, but will it work to convert the t56 info into something my computer will recognize.

yes

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 pm
Forum Moderator

good news i got the miss that it had fixed, i had some loose plug wires, and i reset the iac and tps, again, it seems to have cured the miss. i also set the idle up a bit so that it doesn't stall when it comes to a stop sign. all i know is wow, this thing is fun, i was wondering if i would like it being a 6 speed, and i do, my god what a difference the car is from the last time i drove it, i cant wait until i get this thing tuned in even more, i have yet to touch the computer, so i imagine there is more power in it.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:21 pm
Forum Moderator

mikesz1984 wrote:

yes

hey john have you installed one of these before, where did you pick one up if you did?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:21 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: My car, from the begining
well as some of you know i have decided to end this project because of frame damage that was to expensive to bother with fixing, this car taught me a lot and was the car my wife and i rode in for our wedding. It was also the last project that i worked on with my cousin who was my best friend. This car means a lot to me(and i will be sad to see her go), but sometimes it is just easier to start over. I will begin stripping every good part off of her in the next few weeks, and every part that my cousin helped me with will be coming off her as well. Now i am not leaving the camaro world, as of last night i now own a 1991 rs convertible(that is need of some tlc mainly new rear quarters). This time there is no damage to the frame, and it has a 305 5 speed in her. The top is in mint shape, and so is the interior( except for drivers seat). It will be receiving all of the parts that will fit off my 84, so that everything that my cousin helped me with will still be present in my car. I will get pics up soon(i tried using webshots but it wont work for some reason). I did think about starting a new thread, but i think that its fitting to leave this one up so that people can see the progression from the very beginning. I will be naming this project Resurrection, because i am going to be starting from the beginning, with a car that has just shy of 300 000 on it, and by the time it is done it will be a tribute to my best friend.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next