View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 wont shift and hesitates 
Senior Forum User

Post wont shift and hesitates
hey guys, having a couple different problems with my carbed, 84, automatic, camaro, first is when the car warms up to normal temp and i try to punch the gas the car will hesitate like crazy as if im trowing it in neutral, but when its cold theres no problem.
second is when im taking off the shift from 1st to 2nd is fine but it wont shift to 3rd it seems unless i let off the pedal a bit, any ideas what could cause this? Thanks guys

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 am
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: wont shift and hesitates
AKATDOG wrote:
hey guys, having a couple different problems with my carbed, 84, automatic, camaro, first is when the car warms up to normal temp and i try to punch the gas the car will hesitate like crazy as if im trowing it in neutral, but when its cold theres no problem.
second is when im taking off the shift from 1st to 2nd is fine but it wont shift to 3rd it seems unless i let off the pedal a bit, any ideas what could cause this? Thanks guys

Long time Tony.

Your carb is not setup right...and your timing is probably not ideal.

As for the shifting, thats typical 700-r4...your trans is about to shit the bed, sorry bro. Happened to one of mine before too on my 1st Camaro. Its either time for a rebuild or swap the trans.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

hey buddy how everything? damn i just had the trans rebuilt less than 30k ago, as for the carb and timing you can help me out here? or should i bring to a shop?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am
CCFBG Club Member

AKATDOG wrote:
hey buddy how everything? damn i just had the trans rebuilt less than 30k ago, as for the carb and timing you can help me out here? or should i bring to a shop?

I can help with anything and everything man.

The problem with rebuilding 700-r4's is 9/10 shops dont know what they're doing when it comes to a PROPER rebuild of a 700. You can't 'sand' or machine the drum on them, they warp and distort to easy which causes all kinds of problems, but it doesnt stop there. There's a lot of 'little' things it needs. "The beast" for starters is a great upgrade, and everyone who slaps in a 'corvette servo' and thinks its the bees knee's doesnt know there ass from there head in the 700/4l60 world (no offence to anyone who uses a corvette servo).

I cna definitely help with the carb and timing, and if you have the funds to rebuild the trans i can give you a parts list for a proven combo for the 700 that will hold up to the abuse and be able to just cruise without issue. BTW i dont remember, but do you have a tranny cooler on your car? If not i would invest in one.

In the mean time, start up the car and pull out the tranny dipstick. What colour is the fluid? Is it nice and clean or dirty looking? Does it smell burnt?

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

before you fork good money on a good-for-500HP rebuild. Start with the basics first and set your TV cable right. Does it shake when it hesistates?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Daz wrote:
before you fork good money on a good-for-500HP rebuild. Start with the basics first and set your TV cable right. Does it shake when it hesistates?

Proper TV cable adjustment is crucial on a 700, for sure. The problem is the tranny has already lost 3rd gear at WOT, which means even with proper adjustment, its to late to be saved.

ive got a video of me at the track when i had the same problem...the car would sit on the limiter at the top of 2nd gear and not go into 3rd unless i lifted let it drop into 3rd then gradually roll into the throttle...

11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Daz wrote:

Proper TV cable adjustment is crucial on a 700, for sure. The problem is the tranny has already lost 3rd gear at WOT, which means even with proper adjustment, its to late to be saved.

ive got a video of me at the track when i had the same problem...the car would sit on the limiter at the top of 2nd gear and not go into 3rd unless i lifted let it drop into 3rd then gradually roll into the throttle...

thats great. but to tell someone they need spend $3000 to build it right doesn't fly to most people. corvette servo's are a decent part of an upgrade on a mild engine....a 305 car doesn't need a $3000 trans.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:00 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
AKATDOG wrote:

Long time Tony.

Your carb is not setup right...and your timing is probably not ideal.

As for the shifting, thats typical 700-r4...your trans is about to shit the bed, sorry bro. Happened to one of mine before too on my 1st Camaro. Its either time for a rebuild or swap the trans.

the carb or timing will not make it free rev like its in neutral,

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Mr Bastard wrote:
Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Daz wrote:

thats great. but to tell someone they need spend $3000 to build it right doesn't fly to most people. corvette servo's are a decent part of an upgrade on a mild engine....a 305 car doesn't need a $3000 trans.

Where did I say he needed to spend $3000? And where did he mention an engine?

I know Tony personally, and he has a pretty beefy 350 in his car, not a 305.

And his car free revving like its in neutral has nothing to do with carb and timing, you're right, and i never said it did? His timing was never set right from the get go on his car and his carb is not adjusted properly either. He has a few separate issues with the car, they're not all related to the 700.

11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

i ran 12's with my 700 with vette servo and some other goodies for a few years behind an aluminum headed 355 that buzzed 7600 rpm, the clutches are a lot weaker then any prob with the band apply, i have caved in a drum behind a big block.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:05 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Mr Bastard wrote:
i ran 12's with my 700 with vette servo and some other goodies for a few years behind an aluminum headed 355 that buzzed 7600 rpm, the clutches are a lot weaker then any prob with the band apply, i have caved in a drum behind a big block.

Ive done the same with an iron headed 355...anyways im not making this a whose done what for how long match here...the thing is its tricky to build a proper 700, not necessarily expensive either, it just takes the right combination of parts and you gotta do it right the first time.

My buddy who worked at a tranny shop for YEARS built a 700 for his 92 Silverado, vette servo, trans-go stage 2, yada yada...and he did the proper re-and-re on it, has the stronger casing...it shit the bed the first time we drove it to blue mountain...clutch packs just fried going up the mountain and that was it. Then he replaced the packs, resurfaced the drum and then the tranny took a shit a 2nd time...cuz he didnt listen when i said you cant reuue the drum on a performance/beaten on rebuild especially in a heavy vehicle. And it only had a mild 350 in there.

He listened the 3rd time, built the nastiest 700 ive ever had the pleasure to ride in to this date, and the truck got stolen a month later!

Anyways...Tony...we'll talk.

11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

thanks guys for all the input, i do actually have a spare 700 in the garage that i bought, i was told it was rebuilt but i wouldnt put it in without having that confirmed, thats trasns was rebuilt by Mr Transmission not many miles ago and cost me a $1000 its just sucks to thing it would be burnt out already, Jay let me know when i can drop by you can take for spin...

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm
Senior Forum User

Check for vacuum leaks first. Get a can of quick start and spray it all around the engine and base of the carb with the engine running. If the idle increases or stumbles youve found your leak

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Ive done the same with an iron headed 355...anyways im not making this a whose done what for how long match here...the thing is its tricky to build a proper 700, not necessarily expensive either, it just takes the right combination of parts and you gotta do it right the first time.

My buddy who worked at a tranny shop for YEARS built a 700 for his 92 Silverado, vette servo, trans-go stage 2, yada yada...and he did the proper re-and-re on it, has the stronger casing...it shit the bed the first time we drove it to blue mountain...clutch packs just fried going up the mountain and that was it. Then he replaced the packs, resurfaced the drum and then the tranny took a shit a 2nd time...cuz he didnt listen when i said you cant reuue the drum on a performance/beaten on rebuild especially in a heavy vehicle. And it only had a mild 350 in there.

He listened the 3rd time, built the nastiest 700 ive ever had the pleasure to ride in to this date, and the truck got stolen a month later!

Anyways...Tony...we'll talk.

alot of iffy info here, mine held up behind 500 hp 600 ftlb 496 with a stock drum,and had others that didn't. you should start a trans shop. :) and your buddy should retire if he took 3 tries to get one to stay together on a 350 and runs a trans shop.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:21 pm
CCFBG Club Member

my 700R4 with the vette servo and Trans Go semi manual kit is still alive today and were running high 11's (trapping at 112mph)behind a Superram 383. At least 300 passes on that combo and at least a hundred behind an L88 spec 468. Broke the crossmember bolts and bent the welded studs that replaced it. It trapped above and below 119mph.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next