View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Drive clean-FAIL 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Drive clean-FAIL
Overdrive wrote:
LS1 FTW. :)

Thats why im doin mine :D :)

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Forum Moderator

6SIX6 wrote:
Overdrive wrote:

Strange, our LS1 is failing and its only got 100,000k on it, my TPI's all seem to pass fine ;)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:46 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Hawk wrote:
6SIX6 wrote:
Overdrive wrote:

Strange, our LS1 is failing and its only got 100,000k on it, my TPI's all seem to pass fine ;)

Mines got 126,000 and keeps going quicker and faster :P

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

transamtom wrote:
Hawk wrote:
Overdrive wrote:

Mines got 126,000 and keeps going quicker and faster :P

Our LS1 is quick enuff (dyno'd 345rwhp), but my TPI happens to be faster, and they dont test emissions at the track, the LS1 is failing HC and NoX, but I think I know why

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I just sent my fail sheets to someone who I have been told is a pro at diagnosing these kind of issues.
It's free so why not.
I personally did not take the car for the tests. The person who was doing work for me out of town did.
So now that I have the car back, I will be trying to figure this out myself.
The egr is operational and new, timing is set to 8...was set back for the last test.
Custom chip is still in it.
I will post the outcome....it might take a while! :(

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 am
CCFBG Club Member

Overdrive wrote:
Gotta love the drive clean program. Just paid my 35$ gov't tax for it today when I got my Vette done.

I have nothing much to add. I'm assuming you took it in hot off the road and didn't let it sit before the tests. I've had cars with Magnaflow bullte cats pass with no problems. Like others have said get the timing to factory spec, stock tune and working EGR.

BTW, my 04 Vette tested HC/CO as 0/0 @ 2500 & 2/0 at idle. LS1 FTW. :)

The tech did it as a two speed standing test, no rollers. He marked down "no safe place to strap" on the form. Don't know if the numbers would be worse on the rollers but I know that most places won't strap a Vette down. See if you can get a place that won't run the rollers (assuming they did on the other tests).

Vette's with active trac cannot be run on the dyno - there is some service bulletin out on it.....I ran them for years (no straping) without any issues, then the service bulletin came out - something about the possiblity of turning active trac off having an affect on the air/fuel ratio?? So no more vettes on the dyno (at least not the newer ones)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:38 pm
Senior Forum User

Firm wrote:
Vette's with active trac cannot be run on the dyno - there is some service bulletin out on it.....I ran them for years (no straping) without any issues, then the service bulletin came out - something about the possiblity of turning active trac off having an affect on the air/fuel ratio?? So no more vettes on the dyno (at least not the newer ones)

Don't know why disabling traction control would alter the AFR. It can be completely disabled by holding down the AH button.

2004 Corvette vert (sold)
2007 Chev Avalanche, 6" lift (gone)
1970 Firebird project (sold)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Yes, I know it can be completely disabled.....that is how I ran them for years before the bulletin came out.

And I have no idea why disabling trac can alter the AFR, but apparently it does (or it *can*)......Not sure if it was intentionally built in, or if it's just something that can happen with some cars.......Wish i had more details, but I don't - sorry.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:36 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I had someone look over my failed reports...they feel it is a fuel control problem.
I need to know if swapping out my custom performance chip to my factory chip will cause problems? Do you just pull it out and put the original chip in? anything else I need to do?
I have never tried to see if it will improve my etest.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:51 pm
Forum Moderator

Luva350 wrote:
I had someone look over my failed reports...they feel it is a fuel control problem.
I need to know if swapping out my custom performance chip to my factory chip will cause problems? Do you just pull it out and put the original chip in? anything else I need to do?
I have never tried to see if it will improve my etest.

A custom chip "can" do that, thats what they are for, to adjust timing and fuel tables on a modified motor, but if it was done right it shouldnt cause you to fail your test, but who knows if it was done correctly

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:59 pm
CCFBG Club Member

So how do I know..if it was done correctly? If I just do the swap and get another test...then put the custom chip back ... there any harm in that?
In other words will it screw up anything?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:44 pm
Forum Moderator

That all depends on whats done to yuor car, my car wont even run on the stock chip, too many changes, but if your changes are only minor then it will prolly run fine

Your car has high NoX, usualy thats too much timming or lean, its caused by too much heat in the chamber, your EGR helps to cool the heat with its recycling of the exhaust gasses, you said your EGR is new and working, so that brings us back to the start of the sentance.

You said you had backed the timmnig up 8* from the stock 8* to zero and still Failed, so that brings me back to it being lean.

So to be lean that brings me to the chip and to the modifications the car has. What is your Fuel Preasure set at and what is your injector size.

Quote:
Flame had wrote: To the OP you say the EGR has been replaced but was it tested to see if it actually functions? If you open it manually at idle it should kill the motor. If it doesn't then the egr port in the intake is likely full of carbon thus no EGR flow actually making it into the motor.

Did you do this yet?

What Cat did you put on the car? I went from an American Racing cat to a JP cat and cut my NoX in half, both are high flow.

Somewere at the start of the thread you said it failed both NoX and HC, usualy that happens when there is whats called a lean missfire, because usualy when the HC is truely high it cools the chamber thus dropping NoX to laughable limits, but with a lean missfire then the HC reading is only high because the missfire doesnt alow it all to burn, that is the problem I beleive am having on my LS1, to fix it I need proper tuning, I have a cam to go into the car so no sence tuning it then putting in the cam to have to get it tuned again.

When I was playing with fuel grades I found, premium octain gas would have lower NoX levels and yet higher HC levels over regular octain gas

Methonol Hydrate will lower HC but will raise NoX, Co never seemed to change much

I tried putting in the block plate on the Borla for more back presure thinknig it would help and instead the NoX increased dramaticaly, we had the medium plate in for all the above fuel grade testing, currently I have no plate in the Borla but have not retested it.

Others can figure out why that all is, but thats the results we got when messing around with our LS1 and the cheap retests trying to get it to pass

:)

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 am
Senior Forum User

I'm with everything HAWK said above..looks like you're lean or have a bum cat.
If you have minor mods, throw the stock chip in there and have the guy do a test/training run so it doesn't count on your 3 test limit. (Disconnect battery, replace chip, hook up battery)
Bring the car in HOT off the highway and test at right away. It makes a huge difference.

Formerly 95 LT1 [LE2.2]/T56/4.11 9 Bolt..12.6@114MPH

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am
CCFBG Club Member

Took it to the auto clinic in flamborough, Mike Wagg.
The chip swap was a laugh..car barely ran..died within seconds...couldnt get it out of park.
Checked the car..could not find anything wrong with it.
Did some test runs....final test...cat nice and hot...put the fan up close on full blast...I passed!
Other than the fan everything was the same as the last test.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 pm
CCFBG Club Member

couldnt get the car out of park because of a chip?..lol..Maybe it died because the ignition switch is out to lunch

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next