View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 temperature gauge 
CCFBG Club Member

Post temperature gauge
hello im starting to put my car back together and i did the dash and cluster today everything works except for my temp gauge everytime i turn the ke to start the car the needle jumps off the reading and gets stuck there i tried to unhook the green wire from the head and try it but same thing. the engine is a lt1 vett engine and the sensor is on the passenger side were on my 305 it was on the drivers side. this motor has one on the drivers side too but is for a 2 wire plug not a single. any help would be great

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:28 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: temperature gauge
are you using the stock 3rd gen harness from the C100 as the last time i heard something like this happenning the sensor was being grounded out along the way to the gauge. I suggest getting rid of the stock coolant gauge as its completely unreliable

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm
CCFBG Club Member

yep its the stock wireing harness from the 85 z28 do you know if there is a ground wire somewhere for that

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm
CCFBG Club Member

thefox wrote:
yep its the stock wireing harness from the 85 z28 do you know if there is a ground wire somewhere for that

That's not the issue. You see, the sensor in the passenger side head isn't for your temp gauge.

More background info is needed here. When you swapped in the LT1 did you keep it all stock style LT1 and convert the harness to run all the electronics and ignition system?

Either way you do it, you need to hook up that green 'temp sensor' wire to the stock 3rd gen temp sensor that you will need to reuse and screw either into the passenger side head where the one that's there now is or find somewhere else like the wAterpump.

IIRC the sensor in the passenger side head of an LT1 is just a temp switch like for cooling fans. Nothing to do with the gauge on the cluster.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:52 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

ok so even with the wire not conected to anything it does the same thing. so ill just go out and buy a temp. sensor thays for a 85 z28. no ive seen some cars with the sensor mounted on the intake on the front will that work or should i just pull out the one on the driverside nd put in the right one there. thanks for all the help

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am
CCFBG Club Member

Either the gauge is faulty or you have a short in the wire going to the temp gauge. If there are no wires going the gauge then it should read 0 (or low). Before you buy a sending unit you might want to try a diff gauge first. I have some here that you can borrow(or buy). If you do need a sending unit you can tap anywhere there's coolant. IIRC there's a 3 wire sending unit that replaces the 2 wire thats on the waterpump where there 3rd wire grounds the hotter it gets(same as thirdgen).

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]