View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dead on road, and then no-start - ideas? 
Forum User

Post Re: Dead on road, and then no-start - ideas?
I will check tonight - but I think the previous owner did change them out with Bosch injectors.

I am assuming I should be able to see from looking at them if they are the original multitec or Bosch...regardless I will measure resistance on them, and read fuel pressure (picking up a gauge on the way home).

DK

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm
Forum Moderator

Tanager wrote:
I am assuming I should be able to see from looking at them if they are the original multitec or Bosch...

Bosch III or the Denso are good

Bosch III are colour coded to there size, so 19# would look like this

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm
Forum User

Think I maybe a step closer - or atleast ruling a few things out.

Tried starting it today and got it to run - for a bit - rough as expected until it stalled out and wouldnt fire up again.

Checked on resistance on injectors - all checked out at 16.7 ish +/- .2. Couldnt tell for sure if they were stockers or replacements - they are black in colour with a green "ring" around....they dont look like a 20 year old part - but who knows for sure as I couldnt see a part number or name.

Checked fuel pressure with my new gauge - came up at approx 42ish when turning the key to on (fuel prime) and drops fairly gradually (2-3 min) to about 10PSI and then I released pressure on the guauge. How long should it maintain the pressure?

Fuel pressure regulator?

I dont have much experience on TPI fuel systems so any help is much appreciated!

Dave

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:28 pm
CCFBG Club Member

The fuel pressure regulator maintains pressure, if broken, it will allow too much pressure to build up or none at all. There should be a slow drop off of pressure if the pump is not running, but when priming it should always go up to the pressure the system is design for. I think 42 psi is normal for TPI systems.

The way it works is that at idle, there should be vacuum on the regulator causing it to stay closed, as the load increases, the vacuum drops and allows more fuel to go in.

As it is struggling, keep an eye on the pressure and see if it fluctuates, should be 40+ for TPI setups at idle.

2017 Corvette C7 Z06 Admiral Blue
1998 Camaro Z/28 Mystic Teal

Retired
2005 Corvette C6 Z51 Lemans Blue
2005 Corvette C6 Z51 Torch Red
1988 Camaro SC Maui Blue

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Thanks guys, I havent had much time to revisit it/trouble shoot the last week.

Its being towed in the AM...Kid + job + house renos = not much time for the toy :-(

I will report back what it is once the garage takes a look at her.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Check the injectors with your ohm meter, pull the plug off the injector and set your meter to omhs. If the injector is good it will read about 15-16 ohms . When I first had problems with car, I checked mine and I had two that were under 5 ohms, one on each bank. Car does not need to be runing for this check

Oops, nevermind. I just saw your previous post when you checked them

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 am
CCFBG Club Member

Tanager wrote:
Couldnt tell for sure if they were stockers or replacements - they are black in colour with a green "ring" around....they dont look like a 20 year old part - but who knows for sure as I couldnt see a part number or name.

Do they look like these?

Or how about any of these? The 42# in this pic are the same as the above pic:

Or is the green 'ring' you're referring to the rubber O-ring on the injector, just it's green in colour?

Hopefully you don't have 42# injectors in the thing..if you do your car will barely run without a complete, thorough and proper tune as a 42# injector is HUGE, especially considering 305 TPI's have 19# and 350 TPI's have ~22# injectors. Most bolt-on L98's swap in stock LT1 injectors (24#) to slightly increase the fueling. TPI modding is very finicky which is most likely why it never really picked up very well and why most fast 3rd gen's from back in the day were converted to carb.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Any updates?

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 am
Forum User

Hi Guys, just noticed I never responded to the solution late in the summer.

Turned out to be an ECM. Took it to the garage as I didnt have time to solve/chase down the issue. They Tracked it down Clicking/electrical noise from the ecm...couple taps on it then I could get the car to run....couple taps on it again and it would stall out. If I didnt see it with my own eyes I wouldnt believe it as I hear about people swapping ECM's all the time and they dont turn out being bad.

Almost 1000 kms on it before going into storage for the winter and not a problem since replacing the ECM.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 am

flame wrote:
Yeah the old multec is a terrible injector and being bank fired if you have one bad one on each bank the pcm drivers may not be able to fire any of them

check all the injectors for resistance... they should be in and around 16 or so ohms. if you have any injectors that have flattened out(0 ohms) then you may also need to replace the computer. In GM's infinite wisdom, they have only provided a single injector driver to run both banks! dont let the fuse box mislead you... the banks are powered seperately left and right with voltage but are controled by just one driver.

Had this exact same issue last year. I replaced the injectors with some stock 5.0L ford injectors. i went this route because they are much more reliable then the Rochesters and the price is a little more cost effective. although i now have to have the prom tuned due to a different flow rate. still ended up being cheaper than buying new replacement Multec's.

Hope this helps a little..

Cheers,

Chris

Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2