View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 help removing my t5 from my 85 z28 
CCFBG Club Member

Post help removing my t5 from my 85 z28
Hi guys im removing my t5 from my car becuase it need a clutch and its leaking really bad from the very front of the tranny. What id like to know is that a common leak on the t5 and whats the best and quickest way of removing this tranny from my car. I'm going to be doing this in my garage with a jack and 4 safety stands i have never removed a t5 from the bottom so any tips or special tools i need would be great. thanks

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 am
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: help removing my t5 from my 85 z28
the fox wrote:
Hi guys im removing my t5 from my car becuase it need a clutch and its leaking really bad from the very front of the tranny. What id like to know is that a common leak on the t5 and whats the best and quickest way of removing this tranny from my car. I'm going to be doing this in my garage with a jack and 4 safety stands i have never removed a t5 from the bottom so any tips or special tools i need would be great. thanks

A T5 equipped 3rd gen is probably the easiest tranny to remove.

Take the center console out, take the rubber shifter pad off from around the shifter, unbolt the shifter. Now unbolt the clutch slave cylinder from the bellhousing, crack the 4 bolts loose that hold the tranny to the bellhousing, remove the 1x bolt that holds the torque arm mount clamshell together then unbolt the tranny cross-member while holding the tranny up with a jack or something similar then just slide the tranny out. Now you just unbolt the 6 bell-housing bolts from the block and your clutch will be fully exposed.

Yes, it is that easy. Depending on the exhaust setup you have, you might be able to get away with just loosening a support bracket/hanger by the factory catalytic converter, otherwise you MAY have to drop/lower the exhaust just so its not in the way. Its no big deal really.

As for the leak...if its from the case of the tranny then its time to go looking for a replacement T5. They are really weak tranny's, they suffer from case flex.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

With some wrestling, you can get the lower shifter boot off without removing the centre console, it's a pain though.

Also, a set of wobble extensions from princess auto really came in handy last time I took my T5 out:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... on-Bar-Set

Mine is leaking too, but from the tail end :?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

thanks for the info guys when i undo the top 2 bolts is it easyer from the bottom cuase i crawled under there today and it looks like they are a big pain to get out. thanks again

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm
CCFBG Club Member

If they are like the t56 then I would recommend going to Canadian Tire and borrowing the pilot bearing tool. I did and I had it out in minutes. I would also recommend getting the flywheel machined while you have everything apart.

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:33 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Or but the tool at princess auto for $20

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]