View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA 
Author Message
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
I've got a Dana 44 in my 86 Camaro and I'm looking for a shop that's capable of doing a rebuild.
It's basically the same centre section as the Corvette/Viper IRS Danas or the popular choice for Jeeps and other trucks.
Anyone have any suggestions for a shop?
Thanks.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:59 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
TTT

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:15 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Niagara Falls
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
It's a bit of a drive but Joe's transmission in Niagara Falls are great guys to deal with.

They set my Moser 12 Bolt up and installed it.

_________________
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6
13.08 at 107.82


Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
I had sent out e-mail requests for qoute to a few shops in the GTA (and one of our sponsors too) and received nothing in reply. I may give your guy a try especially if they have experience with the D44. Any good shop should be able to handle it although sometimes a specilist dosen't hurt. A place with a background in building the older Vette rearends is what I'd like to find. If I understand it correctly, I've more or less the Vette "pumpkin" sitting in a live axle. More similarities there than with some of the truck or Jeep units.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:18 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Mississauga
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
skinny z wrote:
I had sent out e-mail requests for qoute to a few shops in the GTA (and one of our sponsors too) and received nothing in reply. I may give your guy a try especially if they have experience with the D44. Any good shop should be able to handle it although sometimes a specilist dosen't hurt. A place with a background in building the older Vette rearends is what I'd like to find. If I understand it correctly, I've more or less the Vette "pumpkin" sitting in a live axle. More similarities there than with some of the truck or Jeep units.


Same with Jeeps and a lot of dodge trucks. Dana44's are a very common rear end so with that said, i wouldnt worry so much about seeing a "specialist" and more so find a competent rear end builder in general. If the person knows how to setup a GM 10 bolt (7.5 and 8.5), a 12-bolt, a ford 8.8 or even a Dana60 then they will be able to build a dana44. Most transmission shops do front and rear diff work as well.

All they do is look up the specs of that particular diff you have and sheck what the tolerances are for backlash and preload, set it up and check the mark/line while still staying within spec.


I know youre a pretty hand guy yourself...if youve got some marking chalk and a dial indicator and a full install/shim kit for your Dana44, you should be able to do it yourself.

_________________
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!
Image


Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am
Posts: 984
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
In my experience one in ten shops can set up a diff well. I've reworked diffs that were set up by big name shops that were whacked out so bad the gears were grinding off.

The thing to really consider here is every man knows his worth and what is worth doing. I can build a D44 or any other diff for that matter and I'll take the pepsi challenge with any builder out there on my set up. But I specialize in 8.8's only so I dont have all the parts and pieces ( shims/bearings/tools etc ) on hand to do dana44 build or I would entertain the idea of rebuilding this for you skinny Z. Dana's require a case splitter to them right which I dont have. So to make your shop selection easy? Just call and ask if they have a D44 case splitter. If they do chances are they know what they are doing. If they dont? Pass and seek another option.

The D44 isnt a bad diff, but its not the greatest thing out there either. Id like one for the wall to park beside my Players car, just as a convo piece as a lot of the harsh drivers of those cars totalled other factory offerings and used these instead. SLP had a big clear out on them 8 years back or so. All brand new old stock, price was excellent for a brand new diff iirc it was around 1400 bucks all said and done.

_________________
1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.


Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
Z28 MeTaL HeAd wrote:
Same with Jeeps and a lot of dodge trucks. Dana44's are a very common rear end so with that said, i wouldnt worry so much about seeing a "specialist" and more so find a competent rear end builder in general. If the person knows how to setup a GM 10 bolt (7.5 and 8.5), a 12-bolt, a ford 8.8 or even a Dana60 then they will be able to build a dana44. Most transmission shops do front and rear diff work as well.

All they do is look up the specs of that particular diff you have and sheck what the tolerances are for backlash and preload, set it up and check the mark/line while still staying within spec.


I know youre a pretty hand guy yourself...if youve got some marking chalk and a dial indicator and a full install/shim kit for your Dana44, you should be able to do it yourself.


The D44 are a little quirky with respect to how most popular differentials are. Setting up the pinion depth and achieving proper pre-load are done a little differently as I discovered when I had this unit apart a couple of seasons back. It's not so much a specialty shop I'm looking for but rather one that HAS experience putting on of these back together. I think my lack of knowledge of these particular units has resulted in this one being noisier than it should be and perhaps it should go to professional to be rebuilt.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
cam wrote:
In my experience one in ten shops can set up a diff well. I've reworked diffs that were set up by big name shops that were whacked out so bad the gears were grinding off.

The thing to really consider here is every man knows his worth and what is worth doing. I can build a D44 or any other diff for that matter and I'll take the pepsi challenge with any builder out there on my set up. But I specialize in 8.8's only so I dont have all the parts and pieces ( shims/bearings/tools etc ) on hand to do dana44 build or I would entertain the idea of rebuilding this for you skinny Z. Dana's require a case splitter to them right which I dont have. So to make your shop selection easy? Just call and ask if they have a D44 case splitter. If they do chances are they know what they are doing. If they dont? Pass and seek another option.

The D44 isnt a bad diff, but its not the greatest thing out there either. Id like one for the wall to park beside my Players car, just as a convo piece as a lot of the harsh drivers of those cars totalled other factory offerings and used these instead. SLP had a big clear out on them 8 years back or so. All brand new old stock, price was excellent for a brand new diff iirc it was around 1400 bucks all said and done.


You make a couple of interesting points. The first is regarding the competency of the shop. I had this particular unit apart at the chassis shop where I do business and have managed from time to time. A very experienced builder (and is well known in the Ontario drag racing scene particularly the ONDR) with years of setting of 9" Fords, 12 bolt Chevys, etc, had never come across a D44. That being the case, we didn't have a case splitter however the resulting assembly checked out specification wise when we were finished. But it's noisy. A subsequent tear down didn't reveal anything out the ordinary, it was reassembled with a tweak to the other end of the spec range and while improved, it's still not 100%.
That's why a shop that HAS a background with these is what I'm looking for.
You should tune up your D44 skill sets cam, I've got a job for you...

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
A little history:
I picked up this D44 from a guy in Indiana. He worked at the Dana plant and "purchased" this one new. It was in an SCCA road racer and had a few mods (panhard bar adjusting rack, modified cover for a cooler) but otherwise appeared in great shape.
I bought everything new that I could for it, all of the bearings, a master install kit and a gear set (Richmond) and went at the rebuild however the results are not 100%.
So, it's either pony up more dough to have it rebuilt again or sell it, with FULL DISCLOSURE as to it's condition and put the cash towards a new assembly.
These posts are all a part of that process.
Thanks for the replies.
Keep them coming.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:50 am
Profile
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am
Posts: 984
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
Richmond Gears are noisy. Period. Not at all what Id recommend for a street car. In fact getting a really good quality USA made gear brand new is proving almost impossible now. Even my trusty Ford OEM gears are now made by Motive and even though I cant get straight answers from my suppliers, Im pretty sure they are now cut in China.... Heres one that literally DROPPED the jaws of many fellow gear heads lately. Check this out;

Image

Image

LOL When Eaton moved operations to Mexico we freaked out.... but this? Is a whole new level of wow



:shock:

_________________
1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:08 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 am
Posts: 1508
Location: Miserysauga , Ontario
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
OMG F that crap I wuldnt use them anymore. Its the almighty dollar now instead of a good product

_________________
Image

My FQuick
My Garage

THE MISSISSAUGA CHAPTER


Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:55 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
There's not a whole lot we can do about it. Most companys now define themselves as "global sourcing" or "worldwide manufacturing". There are a few pockets of Made in USA still out there but it's getting more difficult to find.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 am
Profile
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am
Posts: 984
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
New tech "Made is USA" carriers are now $1000.00 + unfortunately. Thats just the posi price. Even the brand new Ford T-locs that I so handily recommend "Look" different than the older stuff. The side gears are not as beefy and a guy I set one up for last year ( 12 second car ) broke the side gear in his brand new Trac Loc. Older rebuilt units? Not a single issue once.

I suppose its the same as anything, knowing what to use and when to use it is half the battle. 010 sbc blocks for instance comes to mind. Vac modulated TH350 is another. Theres always things over time that you have to keep your eyes on to make sure your getting the best possible parts. Things change

_________________
1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.


Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 342
Location: 400 Northbound
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
True enough. Another thing to watch out for and Auto Meter comes to mind is labelling. It used to be that the gauges said "Auto Meter Made in USA" . Now the gauges say " Auto Meter USA". No reference to where they're manufactured. Sneaky buggers.

All that said, I'm still looking for a recommendation for a shop that has experience with the D44. Maybe I'll have to hang out at a Jeep or truck forum.
Like I said, I've had this unit apart and set it up with a professional but with no previous experience with this model of Dana, it could be that we've overlooked something.

_________________
86 Sport Coupe.


Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 am
Profile
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am
Posts: 984
Reply with quote
Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
^ What exactly are the issues with it?

_________________
1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.


Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.