View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 starter motor not working 
CCFBG Club Member

Post starter motor not working
Since I bought my car I had a bit of an issue with the starter. If it got hot, either from sitting in traffic or having a little fun, the starter motor itself wouldn't turn for 20min to an hour. Basically once it cooled off it would be fine. Until a couple weekends ago that is. As usual you could hear the solenoid engaging but the motor wasn't doing anything. This time it never went back to normal. So I got a new starter and installed it and it's still doing the same thing. I decided to see if the old starter would turn if I jumped it to a battery out of the car and the motor turns. I jumped the new starter and same thing. However when I do that to either starter there's no solenoid engagement. I turned the crank with a ratchet so I at least know for a fact the engine isn't seized. Could there be something I'm not seeing or did I manage to buy a bad starter motor? I should also mention the old starter smells like the internals are burnt. In fact the night it stopped working you could smell the starter from about 10ft behind the car. I asked the same question on TGO. Hopefully between the two forums I can get it up and running again.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:41 pm
Senior Forum User

Post Re: starter motor not working
Check/replace your battery cables/ground, Especially the ground strap. Possible corrosion and or internal breakage. Not much else to it really if the starters new

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Sometimes the ignition voltage to the solenoid is weak.Could be caused by worn ignition switch or just a big accessory draw like ac fan or radio/amp. I had the same problem with my 4th gen so I just installed a relay so it will get its power straight from the battery and switched by the ignition.Worked flawlessly after that

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:26 pm
CCFBG Club Member

You could eliminate everything in the electrical circuit in front of the solenoid by using a remote starter switch. This will help in the trouble-shooting. If all goes well with the remote switch, then you can start to move your search further up the circuit. It seems obvious that the old starter is smoked. Depsite the fact that it turns when jumped on the work bench, that's no indication that it's still servicable. Once under load (as in trying to start the engine) it fails.
It difficult to hear the solenoid on a bench test as it's quiet in comparison to the starter engaging while it's jumping around.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I figured it out yesterday. There's two terminals for the thinner wire. I picked the wrong one. I have a new ground strap (originally meant for a Caravan IIRC :lol: ) that I'm going add. Haven't really figured out where it's going though.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 pm
Junior Forum User

You may have a vacuum leak. Check if the PCV is clogged or not.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]