View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 T56 Throw out bearing 
CCFBG Club Member

Post T56 Throw out bearing
Ok, so we had issues with the tranny yesterday. Tony feels it might be the throw out bearing. Now the question is, is it easy to get at? Does the tranny have to be pulled to do this? The fluid was black and almost non existant in the reservour. Filling it and pumping the clutch didn't do anything to help. I searched on-line last night and it seems that the bearing is inside the tranny. Tony thought it might be an external one, but I haven't been able to confirm that. I had talked to the previous owner and he told me that they had a new clutch put in, so I am inclined to believe him. He did take exceptional care of this car and added alot of expensive upgrades to the car. I don't think he would have chinzed out on the clutch. Apartently it is a Borg Warner clutch. The car is a 1995 z-28 camaro with the GU6 rear end, if that makes a difference. Appreciate any info you have to offer.
Thanks

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Last edited by Kevs87TA on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 am
Operations Team

Post Re: T56 Throw out bearing
To access the throwout bearing the trans has to come out unfortunatly :? Just be prepared that when you drop it you may have to replace the clutch or hydraulics if the throwout bearing isnt the culprit.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:45 am
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

If your clutch reservior was empty then you have a leak. Good news is on an LT1 T56 the slave cylinder is external. Repair the hydraulics before jumping into anything else.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:36 pm
CCFBG Club Member

flame wrote:
If your clutch reservior was empty then you have a leak. Good news is on an LT1 T56 the slave cylinder is external. Repair the hydraulics before jumping into anything else.

Tony was saying something about that as well. So my brake reservior cap is loose and won't seal properly, he mentioned that to me as well, does this have anything to do with the clutch reservior? I am new to standard trannies and how they work, so any info is appreciated.

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm
Forum Moderator

flame wrote:

This is what happened to me at the Camaro Nationals one year, I was thinknig the worst, took John like 5mins to fix it once we got it up on the hoist

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Is there a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder? I took a quick look but I couldn't see anything. I also noted that there is a braided stainless steel line from the slave to the master and that it pivots on the top of the slave, is this stock or aftermarket?

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am
CCFBG Club Member

Kevs87TA wrote:
Is there a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder? I took a quick look but I couldn't see anything. I also noted that there is a braided stainless steel line from the slave to the master and that it pivots on the top of the slave, is this stock or aftermarket?

That line is stock. There is a bleeder on the top of the slave usually takes a hex key

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I was under the car tonight to take a look at things, I noticed a plug that isn't plugged into the cylinder above. I was curious as to what it I am looking at and should it be plugged in. The plug itself was taped to the wire loom itself, so it was deliberately unplugged. Just curious as to what it is for.

Attachments:
Tranny 1.JPG
Tranny 1.JPG [ 92.72 KiB | Viewed 18116 times ]

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )
Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 pm
Operations Team

Hard to judge without seeing where exactly it is but that cylinder looks like the low oil pressure switch on the pan?

Edit : what color are the wires? Looks like the reverse lockout solenoid. The wires are brown and green. If that is right then you must have to really push the shifter over to get into reverse?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

It located on top of the tranny infront of the shifter. It appears to be flat cover where this plug is located. It is in the same wiring harness that connects to the back up light on the shifter.

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Likely skip shift solenoid does it force you to go from 1-4 under light accel?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 pm
Senior Forum User

As flame mentioned, it looks like skip shift sel.

Maple Hawk C012 site

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

That pic is the skip shift solenoid. Just leave it unplugged and it will work like a normal trans. Skip shift SUCKS!

As for the bleeder? Dont mess with the bleeder on that slave. Simply pump the piston of the slave in and out with a screw driver until the bubbles stop gurgling out of the reservoir and then bolt it up and your good to go. Whatever you do dont let the reservoir get completely empty though or you will introduce air into the system so keep it at least half full during the bleeding process

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 pm
CCFBG Club Member

cam wrote:
That pic is the skip shift solenoid. Just leave it unplugged and it will work like a normal trans. Skip shift SUCKS!

As for the bleeder? Dont mess with the bleeder on that slave. Simply pump the piston of the slave in and out with a screw driver until the bubbles stop gurgling out of the reservoir and then bolt it up and your good to go. Whatever you do dont let the reservoir get completely empty though or you will introduce air into the system so keep it at least half full during the bleeding process

Well I did exactly what you said on the weekend. I pulled out the slave and with my wife up top and me under the car, I pushed in the slave and she syphoned off the dirty oil and poured clean DOT 3 in. We kept repeating this until the oil became pretty clean. She did see a couple of air bubbles but that was all. As for being good to go, that isn't happening :x I had my wife pump the clutch after I bolted it back on the tranny without the dust cover. It was pushing on the clutch fork and releasing, so I can assume the hydraulics are working. There was no sign of any leaks as well. I talked to a friend of mine and he feels it is the pressure plate or the clutch itself that broke. He asked me if the tranny was "singing" and I told him there was a whine that could be heard from the outside as the car drove away. He thinks that whoever put the clutch in, didn't have the pilot bearing in straight, causing the tranny to "whine" Ultimatley it caused the clutch to fail. I can only go by what he said, but it all boils down to removing the tranny and inspecting it.

1995 Z -28 Camaro
1982 Firebird ( my 1st )

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 pm
Senior Forum User

Kevs87TA wrote:
cam wrote:

Well I did exactly what you said on the weekend. I pulled out the slave and with my wife up top and me under the car, I pushed in the slave and she syphoned off the dirty oil and poured clean DOT 3 in. We kept repeating this until the oil became pretty clean. She did see a couple of air bubbles but that was all. As for being good to go, that isn't happening :x I had my wife pump the clutch after I bolted it back on the tranny without the dust cover. It was pushing on the clutch fork and releasing, so I can assume the hydraulics are working. There was no sign of any leaks as well. I talked to a friend of mine and he feels it is the pressure plate or the clutch itself that broke. He asked me if the tranny was "singing" and I told him there was a whine that could be heard from the outside as the car drove away. He thinks that whoever put the clutch in, didn't have the pilot bearing in straight, causing the tranny to "whine" Ultimatley it caused the clutch to fail. I can only go by what he said, but it all boils down to removing the tranny and inspecting it.

Hmmm. Well I can say from experience that those clutches are not really the greatest as it is. I had a few fail. In the end I ran the LT4 pressure plate with a decent organic disk ( cant recall the brand now ) and that worked well. 9i sold the entire package and as far as I know it still works in an AFR head/cam sbc car.

So if the hydraulics are working and your getting no love its time to drop the trans unfortunately. Once you do that if you take some pics and post p we should be able to help advise what you need.

One final thought here to mention before you do that though is this;

The shift fork on the LT1 style 6 spds needs to be seated in a little spring clip type deal that centers it on the throw out bearing. If you pull the slave off and use a flashlight and look in the hole ( take the slave bracket thing off too to see better but try not to move the fork just yet ) anyways see if the fork is seated properly on the throw out bearing. The tips of the fork should be right in the center top/bottom of the bearing. Certainly worth a look before you drop the trans

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next