View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 LT1 engine removal from the top 
CCFBG Club Member

Post LT1 engine removal from the top
Hey, has anyone ever taken and LT1 out of the engine bay from the top, leaving the trany in the car??? I'm gonna replace the engine. Thanks

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:33 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Post Re: LT1 engine removal from the top
we did when my engine came out but the heads and intake were already off, since i was only planning on swapping heads and cam. but the cam bearings showed wear so we pulled it out the top.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 am
CCFBG Club Member

Ya that's what I thought. I can take the intake manifold and heads off and it should slip out with enough clearance. I blew a head gasket and I planned on a cam and valve train upgrade but I got a 4 bolt 350 crate short block ready to go as well.
Thanks for the input......

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
CCFBG Club Member

Pretty sure if you pull the balancer and accessories it will come out

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Ya, I will strip the engine down to just block and heads, then pull it out. Then drop the tranny. It has to go for inspection. For some reason 6th gear disappeared. Shifter goes into the gate but nothing there. Always something man.....

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 am
Profile YIM
Senior Forum User

Freshening, or LS swapping? :twisted:

Strange that 6th went out, 5+6 are a common gear and its a lot of ratio to break? Might be the rails inside are bent or whatever. Wouldnt surprise me if your 3-4 shift fork is bent to hell and the problem started there. If your going to open up the trans yourself get the complete kit from gearbox.org and just go piece by piece. It took me over a month to build mine as i found broken stuff inside and I added to the problem by shearing a couple of teeth of the 5/6 cluster trying to pull it off.

Might be just as easy to order a new fresh one. Around 2K US with all sorts of upgrades. Id be interested in yours as a parts core if you unload it. Still gotta get up to see you one night man but dammits been a busy summer... too busy

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Just freshening and strenghtening. LS swap is too much of a pain... I'll buy an LS car first and swap my UMI suspension, brakes and interior before I swap engines.
Trany just got overhauled last year, new 3-4 shifter fork, bronze shifter pads, etc, etc. Done by a fellow club member who said he will check it out. I do not think anything broke, no noise, etc.
Ya, got a nice 350 4 bolt main short block, get the heads freshened up, got an LT4 hot cam kit slightly used from a buddy... should be solid when done. Already have a 52mm throttle body, under drive pulleys, shorty headers, hypertech program and your 8.8" with a 4.10. and the LS ignition conversion. Need to do a custom dual exhaust to take the heat away from the oil pan. Got a line on a nice baffled 7qt oil pan too.
Made 290 whp last year. Just ordered a pair of 17 x 11 wheels for the rear from Florida, so my track and slalom tires will be Hoosier's 275 fronts and 315's rear. Should really stick. Last year I burned up a set of RA1's, ran 275's on the rear, not sticky enough for the car.
The engine is the final frontier, car has 220k but is mint as you saw, should be as close to bullit proof as I can get for an LT1.
Lookin forward for the track next year.......

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am
Profile YIM
CCFBG Club Member

Will the engine come out and back in with the transmission attached?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 am
Profile YIM
Senior Forum User

Im not sure if a duo removal up top is possible but its pretty easy to drop the kmember and pull the whole deal ( headers and all ) out of the bottom. You just lift the car off the k and unhook the rest

I dont envy working under the hood of a 4th gen though.... tight

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]