View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Torque arm fitment problems 
Junior Forum User

Post Torque arm fitment problems
Hey guys,

I got a bit of a weird issue here- I have a 2002 Ls1 Camaro and I am trying to swap in the tunnel mount torque arm from sphon into the car and it doesn't seem to want to clear the exhaust.

The car currently has stock Headers, stock Y-pipe and a corsa catback.

I have the normal straight torque arm crossmember from sphon as well as the longtube style one that I picked up for when I eventually swap on Lt headers next year.

BOTH don't clear the factory exhaust with the safety loop...now I know the straight crossmember cleared my old v6 Camaro just fine, so what is the issue here?

When I put the straight crossmember into place I can't get the bolt holes to line up because the driveshaft safety loop hits the exhaust. It looks like it needs to go about another .5 - 1 inch over to the passenger side of the car.

Any thoughts?

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Torque arm fitment problems
It is Spohn, sadly they have earned a reputation for parts that don't fit correctly, you might end up cutting it, lining up all the parts correctly and then rewelding it back together so it will work correctly

Spohn K-member/A-Arm set up is probably they're worst, I can post a mile long worth of Links of troubles people are having with theses, lol

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 am
Junior Forum User

Hawk wrote:
It is Spohn, sadly they have earned a reputation for parts that don't fit correctly, you might end up cutting it, lining up all the parts correctly and then rewelding it back together so it will work correctly

Spohn K-member/A-Arm set up is probably they're worst, I can post a mile long worth of Links of troubles people are having with theses, lol

You should see my PA racing lower A arm that snapped in 2 pieces on my v6...

But back to sphon, I've tried searching for this issue and I haven't been able to come across anyone else which makes me wonder what's going on. I realize some companies like sphon sometimes have fitment issues, but usually there are a bunch of people that have that problem?

I'm just trying to make sure it isn't something on my end. I mean, my rear end isn't in the car, so it's not like that is misaligned and pulling it over at the moment either!

Question for you guys then- I hate the idea of not having a safety loop, but unless I want to chop the exhaust and have a shop retinker that back together (at which point I mine as well just pony up the money for the LT headers and Y-pipe I was going to get next season)...what happens if I eliminate that loop and lets say the driveshaft pops out?

Would the crossmember hold the shaft up so that it does not catapult through the car and take out my limbs?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 am
Forum Moderator

Well for starters, with the Spohn TQ arm's, I have heard of your issue with the loops, so you are not the 1st. Not just having issues with the exhaust but also of the loop hitting the floor itself, rear loop one of the worst for that as it travels with the rear suspension.

What I did on my old 92 was my own loop set-up, using the BMR loop but putting it where I wanted it, lining everything up and then welding it in place, I wish I had a pic but cant seem to find one off hand, don't think I ever took one.

The cross brace on the 4th gens should hold it in there fine, BUT I would rather have a loop setup to be safe, as I am sure it will still dent the floor up pretty good. I have never broken a driveshaft to date, but Jay has so maybe he will pipe in with his experience.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am
Junior Forum User

Hawk wrote:
Well for starters, with the Spohn TQ arm's, I have heard of your issue with the loops, so you are not the 1st. Not just having issues with the exhaust but also of the loop hitting the floor itself, rear loop one of the worst for that as it travels with the rear suspension.

What I did on my old 92 was my own loop set-up, using the BMR loop but putting it where I wanted it, lining everything up and then welding it in place, I wish I had a pic but cant seem to find one off hand, don't think I ever took one.

The cross brace on the 4th gens should hold it in there fine, BUT I would rather have a loop setup to be safe, as I am sure it will still dent the floor up pretty good. I have never broken a driveshaft to date, but Jay has so maybe he will pipe in with his experience.

You don't happen to have links to those threads? or what you searched to get that info?

Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read up on it and so far my searches have turned up empty.

I'm running an aluminum driveshaft to that will connect to a Ford 8.8 rear end...so not sure how I feel about this. I hate anything that takes away any degree of safety.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 am
CCFBG Club Member

Mike is the loop just hitting the Y pipe?

Why not try massaging the loop a little to make it fit?

When you run long tubes the y is in a slightly different position so that might be the cause of your problems.

My Spohn TQ Arm fits well and has decent clearance.

It is also one beefy piece and as the second user but third owner it is durable.

I am sure every aftermarket part has had some failures,where Spohn gets a bad rap is not fixing the prob or ignoring it when it happens.

If something happens to mine I will break the welder out. :lol:

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

One more thing you might try is loosening the Y pipe side mounting bracket and then put the TQA on then tighten the Y pipe and use a pry bar and the TQA as leverage to get your clearance.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Forum User

That thing is one beefy SOB to knock in...plus I remember the D/S clearances being pretty close anyways that I wouldn't want to try.

I think my fix is this...

when I was on UMI's site I think it was, they said that 98-02 stock Y-pipe won't work with either of their crossmember mounted T/A's...so Im thinking that is the issue and it is going to happen regardless of who you use...

my fix might be to chop the safety loop off at this point, get the arm on, drive it to the exhaust shop, chop the factory Y-pipe and mcgyver it around the loop and weld everything back together.

Might cost me $230 this way vs doing the LT headers and Y-pipe right now...either way it is a piss off...

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:18 pm
Junior Forum User

I also tried loosening the side bolts on the Y-pipe, that thing is pretty solid, it isn't moving and even if it does, the vibration I am going to get running up the driveline with the exhaust resting on the loop...

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm
Senior Forum User

Spohn makes a quality product but they are liberal with fitment. In stock trim, and stock ride height ( when this torque arm was designed ) they fit fine. Lowered and with aftermarket diffs and its too tight as per above comments. Hows this sound;

Bring me your Spohn diff mount and I can mod it for you to fit better than any torque arm on the market, and you still retain the top notch Spohn arm quality. I was hoping to be welding this week, probably next now as this job im on is going a bit long so your kind of in luck timing wise here. Lemme know

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm
Junior Forum User

cam wrote:
Spohn makes a quality product but they are liberal with fitment. In stock trim, and stock ride height ( when this torque arm was designed ) they fit fine. Lowered and with aftermarket diffs and its too tight as per above comments. Hows this sound;

Bring me your Spohn diff mount and I can mod it for you to fit better than any torque arm on the market, and you still retain the top notch Spohn arm quality. I was hoping to be welding this week, probably next now as this job im on is going a bit long so your kind of in luck timing wise here. Lemme know

Hey Mike, the thing is, is I disconnected the crossmember portion from the rest of the torque arm and the car isn't lowered yet (I tried to eliminate all variables). I am now in the process of swapping on the QA1's; so as far as anything is concerned the only change to the car at the time of trying to bolt this piece in is the corsa exhaust, and the loop is hitting the factory merge piece (just behind where it starts, closest towards the front of the car side of things), not the aftermarket piping.

That is why I am mind boggled... This is otherwise a completely stock car at this point in time and all the rear suspension is unloaded / unbolted from the car.

I do know what you are saying though because when I bolted your 8.8 into my v6 car and a performance shop that will remain un-named at this time put my crossmount torque arm in and didn't cut the bracket down (among installing it upside down) it was hitting the tunnel...so I do know their are fitment issues when you begin to change setups, but I didnt think this would be an issue bone stock.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am
Senior Forum User

LOL mmmm k ya im really on the ball there yesterday :roll:

I didnt even notice the y pipe remark I just hit reply after reading Spohn torque arm didnt fit LOL I naturally though it twas the rear tunnel problem everyone has. Take pics and post lets see whats going on

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:21 am
Junior Forum User

lol no worries.

I'll see if I can snag a picture this week when I go to work on it again.

I'm working with it on jackstands and about 2 inches of room between my head at the bottom of the car, so we'll see what I can get lol

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 am
CCFBG Club Member

Letzride wrote:
lol no worries.

I'll see if I can snag a picture this week when I go to work on it again.

I'm working with it on jackstands and about 2 inches of room between my head at the bottom of the car, so we'll see what I can get lol

Heat the spot on the Y with a propane torch and wack it with a ball peen hammer,that should do the trick.

BTW been there done that except I get to work on gravel :lol:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

^ Ahh yes the mighty BFH.... Been put to use on my car a few times too

12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next