View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Torque arm fitment problems 
Junior Forum User

Post Re: Torque arm fitment problems
Sorry guys, BFG won't cut it this time around.... it is one of my favorite tools though! Not sure that these pictures do the issue much justice either, but it is the best I can get lying on my back with no room!

Attachment:
IMG_12371.jpg
IMG_12371.jpg [ 126.53 KiB | Viewed 4894 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_12413.jpg
IMG_12413.jpg [ 232.94 KiB | Viewed 4894 times ]

With the last picture you can see not only are the holes not lined up from a left and right perspective, but you can't even get the crossmember to slide down to line up with the holes either, because that rotation is prevented from the safety loop hitting the exhaust.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 pm
Senior Forum User

Bolt that thing up to the trans mount tightly as square as you can to the tail shaft, perpendicular right? Right. Then get a jack under the whole assembly and man power that thing into place. It should go, then check pipe fitment and whatnot. You have too many steps happening at once there.

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 am
Junior Forum User

I definetly don't see this going on without chopping the loop off lol. Like I said, the picture don't do it justice because the other side is quite a bit off as well...there is nothing to line up and bolt in to start muscling it over.

I'll chop the loop, take it over to the exhaust shop and have then mcgyver that Y-pipe but install the Lontube crossmember piece, that way I don't have to worry about swapping things next year when the LT headers and Y-pipe go in.

Next question...what size bolts are you guys using to install that crossmember? I think the factory ones are too short, and I don't seem to have the ones I was using on the other car!!

You're right, I have too many things going on all at once lol...rear end is out at the shop getting 3.73's put in (taking out the 4.10s) and the front suspension is all apart as I am swapping in the QA1's right now (got one side done!! and broke the brand new strut mount on the driverside already :roll: ...what a shitty design these things are... the stupid round pieces that take the bolts from the top of the tower turn so easily...I stripped one out by hand for God's sake...I can't believe they haven't figured out how to tackweld something like that in place or something)

Aluminum driveshaft is ready to go... and my Yank stall is in the mail lol

I'm hoping to have this thing on the road by next weekend at the latest... that will be without the stall installed though.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:01 am
Senior Forum User

If the hoop hits the tunnel just zip cut it off and weld it up where it needs to go. I can help with this sometime next week if you like. As for the bolts? Im not sure in your car year what they are but third gens use a triangulated bolt that sort of self taps into aluminum slug inserts on top of the rails. I drilled and tapped mine all to 7/16" and use regular bolts for that very reason so I can have the length and bite that I want there.

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2