View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 HELP! T/A will not start 
CCFBG Club Member

Post HELP! T/A will not start
I can't put this off any longer as snow is finally disappearing. Some background...
I have a 1995 Trans Am LT1 automatic. After leaving the CCFBG show in Fort Erie last fall
I couldn't get the car into park at a restaurant stop over so I had to drive it all the way back home. On later examination the shift cable was loose. After tightening the cable and securing with another bolt it was OK again. The shifter seemed to get worse in later drives but still engaged.

Last November prior to winterizing and storage I drove down the street to the nearest gas station and filled up. When I returned I tried to start it up and the key wouldn't turn in the lock. No clicking sound - battery was OK. I had the car towed home where it has since remained in my garage - car is hooked up to a trickle charger. The steering wheel now turns but still nothing happens when I turn the key. Perhaps a starter switch- pass key failure, ect. Don't know.
Anyone have any suggestions - I've heard this is an issue with some F bodies. Thanks!

*SLP Ram Air/K&N *SS hood vents *Deep tints *Alpine/MTX/Rockford Fosgate audio *LT1 fan override *Koni/BMR springs and sub frame connectors *Founders adjustable panhard/LCAs with relocations *Bi-Xenon 6000K HID conversion *Cross drilled rotors painted calipers *Ported polished and reworked LT1 *3" Flowmaster Thunder/Mechem tips *Hotchkiss cross brace

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Operations Team

Post Re: HELP! T/A will not start
Sounds like a bad ignition switch or burnt wiring at the contacts. Very common lt1 problem. I have a few good ones from parts cars but they aren't overly priced new.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Thanks Vetty! I suspected the ignition switch may be the reason and I'll have it checked out after all the salt is washed away here.

*SLP Ram Air/K&N *SS hood vents *Deep tints *Alpine/MTX/Rockford Fosgate audio *LT1 fan override *Koni/BMR springs and sub frame connectors *Founders adjustable panhard/LCAs with relocations *Bi-Xenon 6000K HID conversion *Cross drilled rotors painted calipers *Ported polished and reworked LT1 *3" Flowmaster Thunder/Mechem tips *Hotchkiss cross brace

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

OK - so I tried starting the car and after a couple of attempts - the T/A LIVES!
Started up and ran beautifully - idles nicely. Still salt on the roads so it will be out soon.
I'll take it to a local shop for a complete look over in the next few days, but spring has never sounded so sweet!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Operations Team

Thats exactly what happens when they go bad they sometimes get contact and other times not. The switchs burn up and go bad and they sometimes take out the connector aswell. Be sure they clean up the connector if its not to badly burnt or replace it, you do not want to be chasing this issue in the worst of situations. Just to be clear the ignition switch on the steering column not the one on the icm on the cyl head.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

Replaced my ignition switch last spring, had the same issue...just drop the whole column out of the car, a lot less grief than trying to struggle with it in the car. The part is on the top of the column. I also had to solder in a new connector to the switch as it was scorched just like the switch. Don't have any part numbers handy at the moment. Take a pic of the wiring routing as a reference when putting it back together :lol:

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:17 am
CCFBG Club Member

Thanks guys! I'll have the column connector and switch replaced.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]