View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Spring spacers 
Forum User

Post Spring spacers
What do you guys think of spring spacers? I am worried new springs wont be enough . There are different sizes but I am not sure if its safe or if there are any downfalls to using them.. If spacers are ok to use then I am think I can go with a stock spring..

Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Spring spacers
Not really sure what your worried about, maybe explain better :?:

Just so you know, my 99 is lowered (not by me, previous owner) and I run 295/35 rear tires on 03 Z06 rims, I had to do some massaging on the inner fender, very minor massaging as they "just" touched, other then that nothing else was needed. 8)

I thought I might have to roll the fenders like I did on my 92, but was not the case. :mrgreen:

I have been debating swapping in some Moog 5665's in the 99 to get the rear back closer to stock height as I have a small system in the back with two 10's so with the added weight it does not have that muscle car stance I so like

I am not a big fan of them rubber things people stuff in there springs, but my 86 had metal perches that mounted to the rear-end itself and the springs sat on them giving aprox an inch more height.

We put the Moog cc635's in the 96, because every dip in the road or bump and it was always bottoming out after the stereo install, once we swapped out the stock springs and put in the cc635's, never bottomed out again, even when loaded up for the beach 8)

99, lowered, 275/40 fronts and 295/35 rears

96, bones stock springs and height, no stereo, 275/40 all 4 paws

96, Z06 rims, 265/40 fronts and 295/35 rear tires after stereo install and cc635's rear springs

Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am
Forum User

What I am worried about is the outer wheel well (lip) will rub on the tires as it already does even just driving it in the driveway. My tires are 295 30 r19s and 265 40 r18s do you think the stock springs are enough or will I bottom out if I hit a pot hole at any kind of real speed? That's why I was thinking of buying spacers. I was looking at all metal ones not the rubber ones that you dislike.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:34 pm
Forum Moderator

You can roll the fender lip of your worried. I had to roll the lip on my 92.

I personally think new stock springs would be enough as u can see in the middle pic, stock height with nothing in the back has lots of clearance.

http://www.eastwood.com/fender-roller-car-kit-2-pc.html

Sat May 10, 2014 7:16 pm
Forum User

I installed the new springs and the tires hit the fender after a few hours of driving. I need spring spacers and figure 2 inches will be enough but I noticed almost a 1 inch difference in height between the back tire and the fender. I was wondering what would cause this other then installing them wrong because this is the second mechanic to install them.

Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 pm
Forum Moderator

sooo... your saying the new springs gave you another inch of height OR that one side is an inch higher then the other side?

Also, is your rear end centered? I know when Chris put 305's on the back of his Camaro he had to get an adjustable panhard bar and recenter the rearend, one side stuck out farther then the other

Tue May 20, 2014 7:56 am
Operations Team

x2. When I put on my tt2s and 285 rears the passenger side hit not matter what springs were in it. got an adjustable phb and prob solved. I also did a bit of rolling the fenders to help.

Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I measured the height from the top of the tire to the back right fender and it almost has a inch less of clearance then the left. I checked the air in the tires, tried checking on a level surface but its still siting lower. The left side has not bottomed out yet so I am thinking with a 2 inch spring spacer I wont have to worry about cutting into my tires every time I hit a pot hole. Could I get a 1.5 inch spacer for the left spring and get a 2inch for the lower clearance side to even out the difference or is there a better way? :(

Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]